Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Am I missing something or is the Amazon music app no longer available for the unlocked Pre 2 (US version)? Anyone one else with an unlocked Pre 2 have the app?
    its missing for me I liked it too.
    If I remember correctly, I saw the Amazon MP3 service still inside the webOS 2.0 doctor.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    thats gonna be a big NO NO if Palm knew about this..
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    I noticed it missing last night and went looking for it on Amazon.com, but it was no where to be found there. Very strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    I noticed it missing last night and went looking for it on Amazon.com, but it was no where to be found there. Very strange.
    Yeah, they have the android version featured prominently in the top right HERE.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I did a search through the help App on the Pre 2 and it said "The Amazon MP3 app is not supported by all wireless service providers. If it's not in the launcher, it's not available." Wonder if it should be a free app in the App Catalog?
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrain13 View Post
    I did a search through the help App on the Pre 2 and it said "The Amazon MP3 app is not supported by all wireless service providers. If it's not in the launcher, it's not available." Wonder if it should be a free app in the App Catalog?
    The Amazon MP3 app was included on the Locked AT&T Palm Pre Plus.

The Amazon MP3 app is not included on the unlocked GSM Pre 2 from HP/Palm yet,

BUT

I was able to take the ipk from the 1.4.5 AT&T Doctor and install it from Root on the Pre 2.

It runs fine.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Any chance you might share it with a few friends?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    Any chance you might share it with a few friends?
    No can do. the Web OS doctors as well as any part of them cannot be shared or distributed. It's against the law to do so.

You can find instructions on how to download a WebOS doctor for your phone elsewhere on this site, and separately you can find instructions on how to open up a doctor, extracting the files inside, and then how to install an IPK from root.

All of that is legal, as long as you are using your own WebOS doctor file which you personally downloaded, to doctor your device, or to extract files from for your own use, on your own device.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/29/2010 at 04:51 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    A learning oppportunity!

<read><download><read some more>

<eat dinner><visit with family>

<read a lil more>

Done! and it works, cool, thanks.
    I too learned something new and installed the Amazon Music app on my Pre 2. It allows me to browse and view the music as well as listen to music previews, however it does not allow me to sign in to my account and make purchases. I pulled it from my Sprint Pre Dr. Perhaps I need the one from an ATT Dr.?

Any suggestions from anyone? I tried over wifi and the Tmobile Edge data network.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I too learned something new and installed the Amazon Music app on my Pre 2. It allows me to browse and view the music as well as listen to music previews, however it does not allow me to sign in to my account and make purchases. I pulled it from my Sprint Pre Dr. Perhaps I need the one from an ATT Dr.?

Any suggestions from anyone? I tried over wifi and the Tmobile Edge data network.
    Make sure the Amazon Service is installed and running. Others who've done this noted they found the Amazon service already installed and running on their Pre 2's, so they didn't need to run the root ipkg install for it.

Unfortunately, I cannot validate that because I didn't check for the Amazon Service first and did root installs of everything I wanted from the ATT 1.4.5 doctor including the Amazon service ipk. Then after receiving some ipkg errors, I used the ipkg installer command line switch to force errors into warnings in order to install the ipk's that failed the first time around. This allowed the ipkg installation to complete but doesn't guarantee it's going to work properly. One of the apps I needed to force was the Amazon Service. I am able to log into my account but have not purchased anything from my Pre 2 yet.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Hmm, I too can not purchase. Perhaps I did not install the service correctly. Both apps show up in QI as being there. Perhaps I need to learn more about root install and/or command line switches.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Make sure the Amazon Service is installed and running. Others who've done this noted they found the Amazon service already installed and running on their Pre 2's, so they didn't need to run the root ipkg install for it.

Unfortunately, I cannot validate that because I didn't check for the Amazon Service first and did root installs of everything I wanted from the ATT 1.4.5 doctor including the Amazon service ipk. Then after receiving some ipkg errors, I used the ipkg installer command line switch to force errors into warnings in order to install the ipk's that failed the first time around. This allowed the ipkg installation to complete but doesn't guarantee it's going to work properly. One of the apps I needed to force was the Amazon Service. I am able to log into my account but have not purchased anything from my Pre 2 yet.
    Thanks TTB, yes I installed the service, although I don't know if it is running properly. I installed it and the app using WosQI and got the same Error as when installing Preware but I reboot the phone and the app is there and seems to work with the exception of the login timeout.

I went into Preware and removed the service and it also had an error, rebooted, it no longer shows installed but I get the same behavior as before, login timeout.

When I am home from work later today I will try a couple of other things and means of install with and without the service and see what I get. Also, the install files from the Sprint and AT&T Dr's appear to be the same.
    Ok, I uninstalled both, copied them to the USB partition of my phone and tried installing just the app first and restarted phone. Login timeout. Installed the service and restarted phone. Login timeout...

I used Preware for the installs.

So I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Shoot me a PM if you have any other suggestions. No need for me to continue looking stupid in public.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Ok, I uninstalled both, copied them to the USB partition of my phone and tried installing just the app first and restarted phone. Login timeout. Installed the service and restarted phone. Login timeout...

I used Preware for the installs.

So I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Shoot me a PM if you have any other suggestions. No need for me to continue looking stupid in public.
    I cannot log in today. Not sure what changed.
    Hate to suggest this to you as I know you've already doctored several times, but I think your best bet would be to doctor again, then before installing the Amazon MP3 app, look to make sure the Amazon service is present. If it is, just go on and install the app only. Think that's going to be the key here. My thought process is rooted in the possibility installing the 1.4.5 Amazon service on top of the already running 2.x.x Amazon service (if it is there) mucks up everything.
    one more thing, After messing with Amazon, and MHS for several days, I probably need to doctor mine too before attempting to get anything else working!
    A great idea to put at palm.com/feedback to implement. I just did that. That would be a stock app I WILL miss
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    this is sad... i buy mp3s from my Pre all the time...

Is this just a misstep or a deliberate act from HP/Palm?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast