Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I understand that Palm pre 2 has gorilla glass etc.. however I do not want to risk it and prefer to use a screen guard as well. Checked on ebay and googled around there doesnt seem to be available so I was wondering if anyone has tried using Palm Pre Plus screen guards and whether they would fit on a pre 2. And if anyone knows of a place that ships internationally that sells screen guards for palm pre 2.
    Buying a screen protector for Gorilla Glass is a waste of money

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Tiddlekins is right. Anything that can scratch the Pre's screen (Pre 1) will tear right through a screen protector, and the Gorilla Glass underneath would take most of the scratch anyways. I really don't recommend it.

However, a Pre Plus screenguard should fit just fine.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    It's certainly possible to scratch gorilla glass, the official brochure for gorilla glass shows that it can definitely be scratched. It can handle scratches better, but it can still get scratched. A tough invisibleshield-type screen protector can protect against that sort of damage. Obviously it won't protect against all possible scratches, but it can protect against some types of scratches.

Lets say it takes an object exactly X amount of force to start scratching a gorilla glass screen.

Putting a tough layer like an IS in between the object and the screen will reduce the X amount of force by Y, most likely due to absorption or in some cases possibly deflection.

Cheaper basic thin plastic screen protectors might be a different story though.

Here's someone's scratched gorilla glass dell streak:
    Dell Streak's Gorilla Glass screen isn't scratch proof

official gorilla glass brochure here:
    http://www.corning.com/WorkArea/show....aspx?id=26045
    Saran wrap lol ltm ltm ....... personally i use phantom skins . you can get (front covers) 2 of them, for like 10.00 bucks online and they are a little easier than the invisa shields to put on .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I used to be an invisibleshield user till I tried StealthGuards... they feel tough enough and are really cheap. You have to make up your own fluid though (~2-3 drops of dishwashing detergent into a bowl of water).

They don't have the Pre 2 skin yet...hopefully it comes soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by wired.au View Post
    I used to be an invisibleshield user till I tried StealthGuards... they feel tough enough and are really cheap. You have to make up your own fluid though (~2-3 drops of dishwashing detergent into a bowl of water).

They don't have the Pre 2 skin yet...hopefully it comes soon!
    with the phantom skins you just use a little water to keep it from sticking to your fingers lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  9.    #9  
    i dont know i'm a little uneasy relying on gorilla glass would still like to have some added protection .. so palm pre plus protector should fit ok?
    If it's screen only, yes. If it wraps around the sides some you may have to cut it.

Phantomskinz is 50% off today and tmrw.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    It's certainly possible to scratch gorilla glass, the official brochure for gorilla glass shows that it can definitely be scratched. It can handle scratches better, but it can still get scratched. A tough invisibleshield-type screen protector can protect against that sort of damage. Obviously it won't protect against all possible scratches, but it can protect against some types of scratches.

Lets say it takes an object exactly X amount of force to start scratching a gorilla glass screen.

Putting a tough layer like an IS in between the object and the screen will reduce the X amount of force by Y, most likely due to absorption or in some cases possibly deflection.

Cheaper basic thin plastic screen protectors might be a different story though.

Here's someone's scratched gorilla glass dell streak:
    Dell Streak's Gorilla Glass screen isn't scratch proof

official gorilla glass brochure here:
    GG Brochure_HH PC TV_052110_EN
    I don't know. It makes me wonder what sort of insane things they were doing in order to scratch it. I mean, the video I posted has a guy taking a knife to the screen. Here's another video where they stab it with a pen as hard as they can:
    Dell Streak's Gorilla Glass screen: torture tested for your amusement (video) -- Engadget

What are these people doing to their screens to scratch them?

I am not saying that it is absolutely impossible, but it seems to be impossible under normal usage scenarios.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    I don't know. It makes me wonder what sort of insane things they were doing in order to scratch it. I mean, the video I posted has a guy taking a knife to the screen. Here's another video where they stab it with a pen as hard as they can:
    Dell Streak's Gorilla Glass screen: torture tested for your amusement (video) -- Engadget

I am not saying that it is absolutely impossible, but it seems to be impossible under normal usage scenarios.
    Everything shown in these videos (yes, even the knife) is a relatively blunt instrument compared to a simple piece of sand or grit stuck between a phone's screen and something else. It's all about pressure = force/area. A smaller area will result in a scratch. Then there's the issue of chunks coming out of the glass when a phone is dropped. I'm not sure how much good a screen protector is for preventing that, but it must help at least a little bit.

I've personally been having pretty good luck with a Phantom Skinz screen film on my Pre Plus. It was really hard to get it in just the right place since there are very few landmarks on the face of the device on which to line things up, but I've had the film on there since March and it's still going strong. I chose it over an InvisibleShield or other films of that nature because it's thinner and therefore suffers less from the orange peel effects and decreased touchscreen sensitivity.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I mean, the video I posted has a guy taking a knife to the screen.
    He was rubbing the screen with the blade. I could probably do the same rubbing action with my thigh and it'll be fine.

Imagine if he dropped the blade, tip-first, onto the screen. That could much more easily cause an indentation. It's vaguely like the difference between shaving your facial hair and stabbing your face.

Here's another video where they stab it with a pen as hard as they can:
    I saw that video when contemplating my dell streak purchase. It's impressive, but it's a blunt pen - once again, I could probably do that to my skin. If they replaced the pen with a nail ... or a center punch (haha), it might be a different result.

i think any impact by a sharp corner or object could cause a chip... like dropping the phone face-first onto a paperweight with a sharp corner or something. Or placing it on a tiled surface and accidentally dragging it along... tiles are pretty tough. Stone or marble benchtops can be damaging too. I'd rather add a cheap tough screen protector that doesn't detract from the look than risk damaging the screen and reducing its resale value later on.

That's why accidents are called accidents...
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I personally miss the days of resessed screens myself. My Centro went it's whole life without a screen protector. It got dropped, skidded across pavement, all sorts of bad things. Never a scratch in it's day.
    He was rubbing the screen with the blade. I could probably do the same rubbing action with my thigh and it'll be fine.

Imagine if he dropped the blade, tip-first, onto the screen. That could much more easily cause an indentation. It's vaguely like the difference between shaving your facial hair and stabbing your face.
    A screen protector won't do anything to protect against the tip of a knife either
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    A screen protector won't do anything to protect against the tip of a knife either
    I disagree. Speaking from a physics standpoint, if a knife is dropped on the screen tip first, the knife will have a certain amount of kinetic energy when it hits the screen. The higher the knife was above the screen when it was dropped, the higher the energy will be be. That energy will be dissipated as the knife point deforms or cleaves whatever surface it comes into contact with. The screen protector could dissipate some or all of that energy if the thickness is sufficient to provide enough material for the knife to deform or cut before it reaches the actual screen. Granted, there are a lot of variables here, and the screen protector might only be able to stop the knife if it is dropped from a rather small height, but on the other hand, nobody has done this test that I know of, so the results could be surprising.

Of course no screen protector that's useful (that is, not one made of rock or opaque metal) can protect a screen from everything, but the point is that Gorilla Glass can be scratched, and a screen film can provide some extra protection against that. Whether or not your phone will run into a situation where it can be scratched depends on your usage of the device, but I think that most people encounter small bits of sand or hard grit on a regular basis (of course, there must be a second surface, like a leg on the other side of a pocket, to push the grit against the screen if any damage is to occur). Furthermore, some people are not bothered with small scratches that cannot be seen while the screen is on, while other people are more picky than that. I tend to fall into the latter group, so I keep a Phantom Skinz film on my Pre Plus even though it never goes anywhere except into my pocket, all by itself. It's all about personal preference. But rest assured, under the right circumstances, even those potentially seen under "average usage", Gorilla Glass can be scratched or nicked. The choice is to enjoy a bare glass screen and deal with the consequences if damage occurs or sacrifice a very small degree of screen feel to gain considerable protection.

I don't know about all of you, but I prefer to wear a helmet when I ride my bike, even though it can make me sweat a bit.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Actually, depending on the angle and weight of the knife and how high it is dropped from, I think it actually can. Have you installed an invisibleshield before? You get to feel how thick it actually is when you install it.

Anyway dropping a pocketknife like that was meant to be an extreme example. Dropping something a pair of scissors (which has less mass) is probably more likely. If you've played with an invisibleshield before, you'd notice that apart from being really tough, it also reduces the chance of scratching by deforming and trapping the sharp object, absorbing energy in the process.

Anyway, maybe this will help people decide if they should apply a good screen protector or not. I didn't have one on my Motorola Milestone/Droid, but decided to protect the phones i bought after that so i could baby it less.

scratched gorilla glass - Google Search
    I don't drop scissors (or knives) onto my phones, so I think I'm going to be just fine.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    It looked like the guy in the video was putting no pressure on the gorilla glass so of course it didn't scratch. I want to see someone actually push on the knife and see if it will still not scratch the screen. Probly will

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I don't drop scissors (or knives) onto my phones, so I think I'm going to be just fine.
    I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you're right. I wish I were so confident I still say, though, that's it's not knives and swords you should be worried about but little bits of sand and such. Let us know how it goes--maybe I worry too much.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast