Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I got an Unlocked Palm Pre 2 P102UNA and I am using it on the AT&T network. I love the phone, but I am having problems with the phone keeping the data connection alive. I'll turn on the phone and everything will be good, but after some time, it will not be on the internet. The 3G icon will still be there and I have good signal, but any program that uses the internet will not work. Web pages will not load. Sometimes going into airplane mode and back will make it work, sometimes not. Leaving wife off seems to help a little. Its getting a bit frustrating. I am going to try doctoring my phone and then if that doesn't work I will see about a warranty replacement.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Is sleep setting set to:
    keep wifi on

Go to wifi preferences to set.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  3.    #3  
    I turned wifi off.
    That's weird. Must be very frustrating for you. Have you tried that sim in another phone in that same location to verify that it's the Pre 2 and not AT&T?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5.    #5  
    its definitely not the SIM card. My old phone works perfectly fine.
    That stinks. Sounds like doctoring is your next step (assuming you've tried all the different sorts of resets).
  7.    #7  
    I have not doctored yet but I did a full erase (non secure) and am testing right now. One big difference I noticed is that all the contacts and applications loaded properly without me having to restart my phone a couple times. When I first got this Pre 2 the contacts wouldn't fully synchronize until I restarted.

I am leaving WiFi on since I should be able to have it on and not have dropped cellular data issues anyway. I will report later on tonight what I find.

One annoying thing I found is on my new phone is that Pandora will drop its stream every time I place or receive a phone call. My Pre Plus never had any problems resuming playback after phone call. Restarting Pandora is the only way to get it to work again after a phone call.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I might be wrong about about this - so I stand corrected.

I really have to question the data connection performance when using webos phones. This is not just happening on Sprint network, but others as well. Could this problem be cause by webos phones. Hmm! :\

I could be at a spot where I have full signal strength, and yet still having a hard time surfing the web. I don't recall having this kind of network connection problem with any of my other sprint phones. I'm just saying - this could likely be a possibility.
    What other phones did you used to have?
  9.    #9  
    Just now I had to put my phone in airplane mode and then back out of airplane mode to allow this page to load from my email.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I have the same problem in Italy. I use gmail and it's set to receive messages in push. It works for a few hours but then when the phone goes to sleep I have to restart it or messages won't come through anymore. Very upsetting.
  11.    #11  
    I wonder if this is a problem with webOS 2.0 in general or if it is a problem with GSM Palm Pre 2's. I have restarted my phone a few times already today to restore the data connection. I will doctor it tonight and test again tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I hope a software update will come quickly. I doubt that doctoring is gonna change anything but I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you guys have some news.
    I have the exact same problem.

I have used the Pre 2 on both T-Mobile US (edge 2.5g network) and AT&T US (3g network) and in both cases I have experienced the data loss issue.

There are other bugs to 2.0, but this is the most frustrating. Looking forward to a response from Palm and and update.
  14.    #14  
    Well its starting to sound like its not just my phone then. Knowing that will keep me from calling HP to send me a replacement. I'm going to try doctoring tonight anyway.
    I could be at a spot where I have full signal strength, and yet still having a hard time surfing the web. I don't recall having this kind of network connection problem with any of my other sprint phones. I'm just saying - this could likely be a possibility.
    This is the exact problem I had with my Pre minus before I stopped using it. My data was totally hit-and-miss, especially in moderate and low signal areas. The first thing I noticed about the Epic after I upgraded was the drastic improvement in data performance. Even if I have as little as 1 bar of signal, I can still use my data connection without issue.

I really think there's something screwy with the radios in the Pre.. or at least a certain percentage of them. I heard several people with similar stories at dev day.
  16.    #16  
    I've had 3 Pre Plus phones on AT&T and not of them had any data problems whatsoever.
    Did you update your unlocked Pre 2's webOS to 2.0.1?
  18.    #18  
    Yes I updated to 2.0.1. I wish I could go back and see if it was better before. Anyone know where I could download the 2.0.0 doctor?
    Faulty hardware is my only logical conclusion from my own experience. My girlfriend also has a launch-day Pre, I could stand right next to her and watch my Pre's signal fluctuate wildly while hers was constant. There were multiple times I can remember where we'd be sitting in the movie theater before the show started and she'd be surfing around the web while my Pre, in the seat next to her, couldn't even get to Facebook.

If you search around the Sprint and Palm official forums, you'll find posts (mostly older) from people with similar issues. I think just like the OMAP processors, there were bad batches of radio hardware.

My Epic still gets good xfer rates even with low signal. It's a complete 180 from my previous experience.
  20. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I'm having the "no data after wi-fi signal loss" issue on my meta-2.1 VZW Pre2. As soon as I leave wi-fi range or turn wi-fi off, my phone no longer has a data connection. The 3G icon is there, but it never glows. It's as if the phone doesn't realize it needs to call a different radio for data. So far, turning data off and back on again has fixed it, but what a PITA to have to remember every time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast