Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hi guys,

Ive been waiting for ages to get my hands on a webOS device ever since they just started speculating about it. Now that I have the chance to get one unlocked from hp, Im a little concerned as to whether I can make full use of it in asia where I live.

So I have a couple of questions to ask before I pull the trigger:

1. Will I have full 3g?
    2. Will I have access to all apps on alternative markets other than the official pre one?
    - How can I install them? With galaxy s, I can download from anywhere and install or I can just put a US sim and get full market access.
    3. Can I set the pre2 so it doesnt auto-sync?
    - Im experiencing issues because my galaxy s is apparently setup with unlimited data in mind which I dont have nor plan to get. Some apps just keep trying to run and sync even when theres no connection - hogging ram. Very annoying.
    4. That said can I switch off data connection meaning 3g/edge/gprs/hsdpa?
    5. Hows the webOS task management system? Is it like android where you have to keep on monitoring ram/running apps? I find this very tedious just to keep the performance up.
    6. Am I better off waiting for pre 3 or something of the sort?

Basically thats it for me. Again Ive waited a looooong time, heck Ive actually given up and got myself a galaxy s - which is also an über smartphone itself but I miss Palm's Zen-ness, being a palm user since the T3! So itd really help me out if you could offer me some guidance.

Thanks and regards,

lorsban
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Does that mean that I cant even buy the apps anywhere else or install them any other way than thru the official app store application on the pre itself?
    1. Will I have full 3g?
    If you are on the European 3G bands like those of us in Malaysia/Singapore are, yes you will.
    2. Will I have access to all apps on alternative markets other than the official pre one?
    You can install Preware and get Homebrew goodness
    If you want to get free apps in the App catalog, you should have the device Activated the FIRST time in an official country (search this form - lots of threads on this) , otherwise you won't
    Otherwise there's IPK fetcher 2 to help (also search this forum for more info)
    You can't buy apps until Palm lifts geo-restriction for your country
    Remember unlike iPhone, you don't have to jailbreak your device to side-load apps, just put it in developer mode and use WebOS Quick Install (again search this forum for more info)

- How can I install them? With galaxy s, I can download from anywhere and install or I can just put a US sim and get full market access.
    3. Can I set the pre2 so it doesnt auto-sync?
    - Im experiencing issues because my galaxy s is apparently setup with unlimited data in mind which I dont have nor plan to get. Some apps just keep trying to run and sync even when theres no connection - hogging ram. Very annoying.
    - turn off data: see 4

4. That said can I switch off data connection meaning 3g/edge/gprs/hsdpa?
    yes - in the Phone menu settings

5. Hows the webOS task management system? Is it like android where you have to keep on monitoring ram/running apps? I find this very tedious just to keep the performance up.
    no need, works well, though when you run out of memory, you get Too Many Card errors popping up.

6. Am I better off waiting for pre 3 or something of the sort?
    - that's up to you to decide. I am still on my stock GSM Palm Pre and very happy with it
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hey thanks for posting!

All's ok then, except for the app issue. Very very tedious just to get things going! Although I'm sure it's all worth it in the end. However, I think I'll wait for something new from HP or when they (rightly) decide to include other countries to the mix.

Good thing there are "root" and lagfix apps for android!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    hi,

care to ans can the US set be used in asia?
    or do we have to purchase a UK set?

cos HP USA sells much musch cheaper than palm UK...
    Quote Originally Posted by vanngoh View Post
    hi,

Short answer is no, you need the Euro Pre.

Long answer is yes, if you're willing to use 2G only.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    hi,

You'll need the UK set to get full 3G/3.5G speed here in most parts of Asia as we make use of 2100MHz. If you get the US set, you'll end up 2G/2.5G (EDGE).
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    understood.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    so meaning to say canada roger's set I aslo cannot use as its using the same freq as US..
    cos i got really cheap offer flying straight frm rogers..
    so meaning to say canada roger's set I aslo cannot use as its using the same freq as US..
    Rogers Pre 2 is identical to the unlocked Pre 2, except for the Rogers customizations and SIM lock.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    The first post in the following thread may help you. It is targeted for users wanting to use the North American Pre 2 in North America, on North American carriers, however, most answers about worldwide compatability can also be gained if you focus on the listed carriers and the 3G/2G bands each one supports. There's also a chart listing GSM and 3G frequencies used in North America, Europe, and Asia.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ere-first.html
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.