1.    #1  
    I am going to follow the forums advice and send the Pre2 over to the continental US to have it activated.

The person activating it is tech savvy, but has never owned a Pre.

Does anyone have written instructions on how to actually accomplish the activation?
  2.    #2  
    My personal location aside (Israel), I want access to the US app catalog (which seems to be the most up-to-date and rich app catalog Palm offers).

In addition, the US is the only country I can easily get access to pre-paid credit cards..

So: GuyFromNam: any tips/screenshots/movies on activation? My personal Pre came pre activated (from spain, btw) which means I have never experienced this process.
  3.    #3  
    Yes... this thread tells you the (very important!) prerequisites for successful activation (sim card, location, etc) but not what you see on the Pre's screen.

I am looking for something along the lines of:

1. Turn on the Pre
    2. When the pre boots, click "start activation" big green button.

etc.

I have never been witness to this process, so I don't know.
  4.    #4  
    The Palm pre manual is an excellent read. The palm pre 2 manual is an even better one

Hoever, neither of these documents contain a single word about the activation process. A fact which is interesting on itself.

No, oops, there is a little paragraph, way down in the small type of the intellectual property notice section, which quotes:

Use of this device requires providing a valid email address, mobile phone number, and related
    information for account setup and activation. A data plan is also required. An unlimited usage
    data plan is strongly recommended or additional data charges may apply
    Still, no word on how this process looks to the user, if an SMS is sent to palm or not, if an active cell signal is required, or how to trigger this and how to verify that this is completed successfully.

So, does anyone have information on how the activation process looks like?
    Hey send it to me I'll activate it for free with my AT&T SIM. I live in Miami, FL and my eBay ID is chesterv2005.

Quote Originally Posted by urig View Post
    My personal location aside (Israel), I want access to the US app catalog (which seems to be the most up-to-date and rich app catalog Palm offers).

In addition, the US is the only country I can easily get access to pre-paid credit cards..

So: GuyFromNam: any tips/screenshots/movies on activation? My personal Pre came pre activated (from spain, btw) which means I have never experienced this process.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thanks for posting that, GuyFromNam. I've never done it before and neither has the person who's doing it for me in the US, so it's handy to know what it actually entails.

Looks like it's really simple - I guess that's why no one has bothered posting the steps before!

edit: ahhh finally, I can see what those mystery secret links are in everyone's sigs. First time I've seen a 10-post requirement to view links in sigs!
    Urig,
    I am hoping to get a Pre 2 and was worrying about the activation process as well. ( have never owned a cell phone ) My question would be exactly as you asked. Thank you for beating me to the punch. Hell, I am in the US but would consider sending mine to Florida as was offered to you just to be sure about the activation.
    I have been reading on P/C for a couple of months and have to often Google some of the abbreviations used just to understand what is being said. These guys/gals are amazing.
    I am sure I will be seen a lot here once I dive in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    Urig,
    I am hoping to get a Pre 2 and was worrying about the activation process as well. ( have never owned a cell phone ) My question would be exactly as you asked. Thank you for beating me to the punch. Hell, I am in the US but would consider sending mine to Florida as was offered to you just to be sure about the activation.
    I have been reading on P/C for a couple of months and have to often Google some of the abbreviations used just to understand what is being said. These guys/gals are amazing.
    I am sure I will be seen a lot here once I dive in.
    Buy the phone, take it to your carrier (AT&T in the United States) I'm sure they will be happy to help you out if you have issues setting the phone up. They may even introduce you to the phone and get you started on it.

Other than that it is pretty self explanatory. You pop your sim card into the phone that you purchase from the carrier, (follow the handout instructions included in the pre's box). Charge the pre, turn it on, and the phone will tell you what you need to do from there no worries.

Hope that helped.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Thanks, I appreciate to input.