Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pyszora View Post
    hope they dont block it out some how
    I spoke directly to Phil McKinney (CTO of HP) at the New York Developer Day and they have no intention of changing the relationship that HP/Palm has with the homebrew community.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Having trouble with the palm-install route. I get as far as opening the emulator, and all it does is pop up a command box then close it immediately. Am I missing something?
    Here's my output from just now (not installing preware but the Spotify app), but should be same output...

C:\Users\vatnep\Downloads\Palm\Install>palm-install com.palm.app.spotify_0.0.1_all.ipk
    installing package com.palm.app.spotify_0.0.1_all.ipk on device "roadrunner-linux" {7ecf111c28bc9ce254a3737bc8be0cb90cc098d0} usb 50094

C:\Users\vatnep\Downloads\Palm\Install>

Run it in a command prompt window, so you can see any errors. Also, make sure both Java binaries and Palm SDK binaries are in your path (just enter command "path" to check).

And of course, you need a working USB connection and your phone in dev mode. If I'm not mistaken, you can just check for the device "Palm Novacom" in your Device Manager on your Windows PC, if it's there it should work afaikafaikafaik.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treiz View Post
    Having trouble with the palm-install route. I get as far as opening the emulator, and all it does is pop up a command box then close it immediately. Am I missing something?
    Sounds like you don't have the proper Java version installed. If you are running a 64bit machine, you need a different Java version. (I had the same issue you are). It's in the Palm SDK instructions.

But you don't need to run the emulator, that was what confused me in Rod's post. You run the "palm-install command" from a command prompt. In Windows click Start, Run and type CMD, this will give you a command prompt that the palm-install command will work from.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 12/05/2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I installed the correct Java but I still can't get Dr or quick install to detect my pre2. I tried to install the novacom driver but I haven't been able to find a link to it. Tried the attempt reinstall novacom but I get a "service removed" cmd window.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I had a couple of issues when trying to install QI at first. I had to uninstall the old Novacom drivers in order to install the new ones for webOS 2.0. After that the original method Rich posted worked for me on my Windows 7 PC.
  7.    #27  
    I installed the correct Java but I still can't get Dr or quick install to detect my pre2. I tried to install the novacom driver but I haven't been able to find a link to it. Tried the attempt reinstall novacom but I get a "service removed" cmd window.
    Are you running a 64 bit Windows 7 machine? If so, I had the EXACT same problem at the start but didn't figure others would have it. Here is what I had to do... (from the OP).

NOTE: If running the Dr. file does not install the Novacom Drivers properly, you will need to extract them and run them manually, this is easy to do. If in Windows change the .jar extension on the Dr. file to .zip. Double click it to explore, then double click the resources folder and find NovacomInstaller_x64.msi and NovacomInstaller_x86.msi. Run the one that is appropriate for your system. If you don't know, just try each until you can connect to your Pre 2 using WebOS Quick Install. Once complete, change the .zip extension back to .jar so your Dr. will work correctly when needed.
    The one for a 64bit system is the x64.msi. I would have thought the Dr. would have detected my OS and installed the proper version but it didn't.

Keep in mind though, even once you get the proper Novacom driver installed, you will still need to be in recovery mode if you decide to Dr. The Dr. will recognize the Pre2 once the correct Novacom is installed but if you try a Dr. without being in recovery mode it will either hang on the "Charging" step or Error out within a few minutes.
    I uninstalled novacom and installed the x64 version to be sure but the phone is still not recognised. Device manager says I need a new driver for the phone.
  9.    #29  
    I uninstalled novacom and installed the x64 version to be sure but the phone is still not recognised. Device manager says I need a new driver for the phone.
    After you run the install file, restart your computer and connect your Pre 2 using the USB cable. If you have the right driver installed the computer will let you know it found "new hardware" and is installing device drivers. (I tried both x86 and x64 versions till it worked)

While developer mode will not effect the WebOS Dr. recognizing the Pre, WebOS Quick Install will not recognize the Pre if you are not in developer mode. Two ways... type the Konami code or "webos20090606" on the keyboard with no cards active and tap the developer mode icon and then switch it to on.
    When I install the x64 version I get a cmd prompt with "control service failed service removed" and something else before it closes. I restarted and the computer doesn't try to install the new drivers when I plug in the phone.
  11.    #31  
    When I install the x64 version I get a cmd prompt with "control service failed service removed" and something else before it closes. I restarted and the computer doesn't try to install the new drivers when I plug in the phone.
    Have you removed the Novacom driver through the Windows Control Panel, Add/Remove Software, rebooted then tried the Novacom install?

Are you in fact running a 64bit OS or is it 32 bit on your computer and what OS, Windows XP, Vista, 7 or something else?

Just to be sure, How are you checking to see if your phone is properly connecting to your computer?

Have you put the phone in developer mode?

Have you restarted the phone and computer and tried again?

Are you using the Palm provided USB cable?

Have you tried a different USB port?

Do you get the "Just Charge/Connect USB" notification when you plug it in?

What version of WebOS Quick Install do you have installed?

All of the above questions could be things I have taken for granted and want to make sure before continuing the same line of troubleshooting.
    Win7 Prem 64
    I've done the install, uninstall of novacom several times. I've rebooted between each step.
    I do get the USB/Charge prompt on the phone, when I pick USB Windows does recognize the device
    I'm using the palm cable on multiple ports
    The phone is in developer mode
    I have version 3.14 of Quick Install (I think that's the latest one)
  13.    #33  
    Win7 Prem 64
    I've done the install, uninstall of novacom several times. I've rebooted between each step.
    I do get the USB/Charge prompt on the phone, when I pick USB Windows does recognize the device
    I'm using the palm cable on multiple ports
    The phone is in developer mode
    I have version 3.14 of Quick Install (I think that's the latest one)
    Thanks for answering all of those questions.

Ok... so when you connect the phone to the computer and select "Just Charge", then launch WebOS Quick Install. How are you checking to see if the phone is connected and communicating (or not) with the application?
    When I try to install something I get no device found
    When I try to manage devices no device found
    Same with the cmd lines
    When I try to doctor (I have the updated version for 2.0) the next button never comes on after I connect the pre2
    When I go into device manager it tells me that the Pre needs a driver
    I just checked device manager and it no longer says I need a new driver, but I still get the no device error from quick install
  16.    #36  
    I just checked device manager and it no longer says I need a new driver, but I still get the no device error from quick install
    In your WebOS Quick Install options do you have Emulator or USB selected?

Try something else for me just to be sure... put your phone in recovery mode and see if the "Next" button in the Dr. is active for you.
    I have USB selected

When I connect in recovery mode the computer tries to install driver and the next button does not come on.
  18.    #38  
    I have USB selected

When I connect in recovery mode the computer tries to install driver and the next button does not come on.
    I am completely stumped. Everything screams that your Novacom driver install simply isn't taking. Using a 64 bit OS, you should also be using the Novacom..x64.msi and it should work. I guess for grins and giggles you can try the x86msi and see if it actually installs.

You could also go into Device manager, delete it and then resart the computer and plug the Pre in and see if it installs the drivers fresh.

Also if you have another computer, you might try it on that one from the beginning.

Aside from that... I don't have a clue.
    Maybe it sounds stupid, but you could try connect your Palm with Developer Mode OFF the first time after installing Novacom drivers.
    So repeat whole procedure again: remove novacom drivers, install them again and plug in your Palm with Dev Mode OFF. Than wait till system install drivers. Unplug, change Dev Mode to ON and plug again. Maybe it helps.
    Don't look for solution - look for EXIT!
    My Palm Pre 2 and TouchPad 32GB are waiting for useful updates and enhancements
    I finally got Dr to recognize my phone on a different computer. Still can't get WebOS quick install to go through though...

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot to put the phone back in Dev mode after I DR'd it. Installed Preware worked like a charm. Still don't know why my other ssytem was refusing to recover the 64 bit drivers though.
    Last edited by Treiz; 12/12/2010 at 01:09 AM.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast