1.    #1  
    I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but the GPS on the Pre 2 is SIGNIFICANTLY better. It has been able to instantly find my position before Google Maps can load. With my Pre Plus it would take a while and show aGPS first before taking a few seconds to triangulate into my actual position. Now it's super fast, even inside buildings.

Any one else experienced this?
    I have indeed. Over WiFi the performance is obviously top-notch, but I just now turned WiFi off and loaded up Google Maps. The app took a while to load (I forgot how much AT&T 3G suuuuuucks), but as soon as the map came up it had my position down pretty solid - within 200 ft. I'm in the second floor of a three-story building.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Could also be the fact that you came from the Pre Plus on verizon which sucks horribly gps wise
  4.    #4  
    Nope I had the Pre Plus from AT&T swapped into a Sprint.

Also, I confirmed it. I swapped my Sprint (comm board as well as) back plate into my Pre 2 to get it working on Sprint. I then launched up Google maps. Sure enough, I was on aGPS for a few seconds (just like my Plus) and then switched over to regular GPS. I then fired up my Pre Plus (which now had the backplate, including GPS chip) from my 2, and it definitely opened straight onto the GPS fix.

The chip is DEFINITELY better on the 2.
    does this mean a standard pre could swap there TS back for a pre 2 TS back and get improved GPS?
  6.    #6  
    It's not just the touchstone back. It's the back plate that's screwed into the phone after you remove the touchstone back. You'll have to void your warranty, etc. Also, the cables from the GPS chip to the comm board are longer (for the unlocked GSM Pre 2)... so... yes, it is possible... but no, 99% of people will not be able to take advantage of this.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Well, my experience differs.
    On SFR Network, my Pre+ was sometimes slow to get going but had great tracking (position update in less than a second) allowing for decent GPS usage.
    On my Pre2 (actually 2 devices.. long story) still on SFR, the initial positioning is indeed faster and quite accurate most of the time. But... the tracking is awful. My latest experience while in the car was one update every 14 seconds or so.
    This makes GPS usage in Google map almost unusable whilst I had been perfectly happy with the Pre+.
    I have a feeling/hope this is not hardware, but a software issue.
    Possible something related to the carrier like the VZ GPS issue.
    I also noted that almost all of my 3rd party apps reported errors in trying to access GPS (Trapster for example).
    Can you guys comment on your tracking experience on the unlocked version of the Pre2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Badcard View Post
    Well, my experience differs.
    On SFR Network, my Pre+ was sometimes slow to get going but had great tracking (position update in less than a second) allowing for decent GPS usage.
    On my Pre2 (actually 2 devices.. long story) still on SFR, the initial positioning is indeed faster and quite accurate most of the time. But... the tracking is awful. My latest experience while in the car was one update every 14 seconds or so.
    This makes GPS usage in Google map almost unusable whilst I had been perfectly happy with the Pre+.
    I have a feeling/hope this is not hardware, but a software issue.
    Possible something related to the carrier like the VZ GPS issue.
    I also noted that almost all of my 3rd party apps reported errors in trying to access GPS (Trapster for example).
    Can you guys comment on your tracking experience on the unlocked version of the Pre2?
    RE: 3rd Party GPS Apps

None of the apps that access GPS I've tested including AT&T Navigatior (Transplanted from 1.4.5 doctor ) can access the GPS in WebOS 2 on a Pre 2. Navigator spits out an error intiializing the Telnav service.

I can validate Trapster and Navit can't access GPS either.

So far, I've found that only Google Maps can access GPS.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

None of the apps that access GPS I've tested including AT&T Navigatior (Transplanted from 1.4.5 doctor ) can access the GPS in WebOS 2 on a Pre 2. Navigator spits out an error intiializing the Telnav service.

This is a big piece of info buried deep in this thread. Maybe someone should start another thread pointing this problem out?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    But... the tracking is awful. My latest experience while in the car was one update every 14 seconds or so.
    UPDATE.
    Well I'm glad to say that the situation is fixed... thanks to Sconix patch allowing me to turn GPS on/off!!
    Using the patch to turn the GPS on gives me as good if not better performance than what I had with the Pre+.
    The added bonus over the Pre+ is the faster initial localisation.
    What gets me is that WebOS2.0 seems to throttle down the GPS but gives you no indication it does so.
    The confusing part is that you'd think the GPS is on when you enable it in it's preferences. Obviously, Sconix's patch turns it on a little more because performances are no where near.
    Anyway, another issue solved by the help of this great homebrew community!

By the way, with this GPS "fix", if I launch Trapster, I still get the error message, but it seems to work anyways... Pressing the track button also triggers the error, but it still seems to work.
    UPDATE.
    Well I'm glad to say that the situation is fixed... thanks to Sconix patch allowing me to turn GPS on/off!!
    Using the patch to turn the GPS on gives me as good if not better performance than what I had with the Pre+.
    The added bonus over the Pre+ is the faster initial localisation.
    What gets me is that WebOS2.0 seems to throttle down the GPS but gives you no indication it does so.
    The confusing part is that you'd think the GPS is on when you enable it in it's preferences. Obviously, Sconix's patch turns it on a little more because performances are no where near.
    Anyway, another issue solved by the help of this great homebrew community!

By the way, with this GPS "fix", if I launch Trapster, I still get the error message, but it seems to work anyways... Pressing the track button also triggers the error, but it still seems to work.
    What patch do you speak of? Advanced Prefs?
    - AT&T Navigator for WebOS 1.4.5 still a no go on WebOS 2.0.1
    - Trapster now works after tapping ok at the error dialogue.
    - Navit - Hard to tell. I don't think its accessing the GPS - so not working yet

Muchos thanks to Sconix for updating the patch
    "Advanced System Menus - Device Menu" so quickly!
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/29/2010 at 04:06 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    What patch do you speak of? Advanced Prefs?
    Yep, the Device menu adds the option of turning GPS on/off amongst other.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I got a problem here: My GPS can only work in wifi mode, then when it tracked my 'not-so-accurate' position, i off my wifi. On my 3G, drive to another place, on Google map. It still displays my old position! With the blue dot locking my 'old' position.

Hence, not able to foursquare as it will read my old position's venue.
    Any help?

Offtrack abit. I downloaded the Adv Menu to turn on/off gps. But its in 'hide' mode. How do i go to the menu to see 'hide' & 'show'??

Im using pre 2.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I think the better GPS is due to a better/faster proc in your phone. My Pre 2 is way faster then my 1gz OC'ed Pre.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

This is a real bummer. I use Telenav (ATT Nav) all the time. It is one of my favorite apps. I am shocked to learn that it does not work on WebOS 2.0.

Have you tried contacting Telenav?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    I think the better GPS is due to a better/faster proc in your phone. My Pre 2 is way faster then my 1gz OC'ed Pre.
    Pretty sure it's just the chip they used in the Pre. My girlfriend's Pixi Plus gets a good GPS fix much faster, almost immediately, and keeps it while my German launch day Pre takes much longer and constantly loses the fix.
    In my experience Google Maps has been better than my old Sprint Pre but Gowalla has been worse. Not sure why or whats the diff other than tower location (agps) between Sprint and Att. Overall Att is a POS is comparison to Sprint in Seattle but that's a different discussion.