Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I've been noodling around Precentral and related sites trying to find out how to / is it safe to load Preware via WebOSQI onto a Pre 2...and I've failed. I've done it on my Pre Plus and it worked fine but I just want to check before I brick my 400 phone.

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals just says "1.4.0 or later" which is not a particularly useful statement and WebOSQI 3.14 hasn't been updated since June, so I'm uncertain.

There's also this post http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-homebrew.html which ends with a comment from Rod Whitby but no solid info.

As of 23rd November, does anyone know if there is any definitive information on installing to a Pre 2?
    edit: i couldn't find the article I was thinking of. I know there is a thread about how to do this, but I can't seem to find it.

also, stop by and donate in the fundraiser thread in my sig to help with hardware purchases for the geniuses that make this stuff work!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 11/23/2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
    I've been noodling around Precentral and related sites trying to find out how to / is it safe to load Preware via WebOSQI onto a Pre 2...and I've failed. I've done it on my Pre Plus and it worked fine but I just want to check before I brick my 400 phone.

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals just says "1.4.0 or later" which is not a particularly useful statement and WebOSQI 3.14 hasn't been updated since June, so I'm uncertain.

There's also this post http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-homebrew.html which ends with a comment from Rod Whitby but no solid info.

As of 23rd November, does anyone know if there is any definitive information on installing to a Pre 2?
    Yes, it works and is safe to install. I have had it on mine since last Friday.

I used WoSQI to install it as well. I did get an Error message, but it installed fine. You will need to install the Novacom Drivers from the 2.0 Dr. file (available at the WebOS Internals website). If you need a step by step I will have to remove Preware and go through it again myself just to make sure I give you the right info. I don't mind if that is what you need. There probably needs to be one here anyway.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Yes, it works and is safe to install. I have had it on mine since last Friday.
    ...If you need a step by step I will have to remove Preware and go through it again myself just to make sure I give you the right info. I don't mind if that is what you need. There probably needs to be one here anyway.
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty handy so I should be able to figure it out now that I know it's worth spending some time on. It was as much that I didn't want to waste time if it was a known problem.

Thanks,

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty handy so I should be able to figure it out now that I know it's worth spending some time on. It was as much that I didn't want to waste time if it was a known problem.

Thanks,

Andrew
    You can follow my instructions at the thread previously linked to.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2767378

You can also just run the webOS doctor and it will install the newer Novacom drivers.. You don't actually need to complete the Doctor (or even have your device plugged in) for the novacom drivers to be installed.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Hi WebOS fans,
    I'm an owner of Palm Pre 2 with WebOS 2 since 2 days.
    I'm trying to figure out how to get Preware on my Palm. Novacom driver always reporting error (means "no device found").
    Finally I did read all those treads and post and what I found is that all of you OLD STAGERS always use naming shortucts and rarely place any useful links. It makes new users (like me) completely confused and even angry.
    So please, when answering the question DO NOT follow that way:
    "Download newest dr from developer site and install it untill next button is available"
    please use FULL NAMES and use LINKS:
    "Download the newest version of WebOS Doctor for your Pre 2 device (most probably Unlocked device) which can be found on WebOS Doctor Version page"

It will be great if someone who is real expert do write short tutorial "how to install Web OS Quick install, Novacom drivers and Preware on Palm Pre 2". With links instead shortcuts And than this tutorial could be sticky here.
    Last edited by Pelcu; 12/05/2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: grammar errors...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelcu View Post
    So please, when answering the question DO NOT follow that way:
    "Download newest dr from developer site and install it untill next button is available"
    please use FULL NAMES and use LINKS:
    "Download the newest version of WebOS Doctor for your Pre 2 device (most probably Unlocked device) which can be found on WebOS Doctor Version page"
    I kind of see the point you're trying to make (as a 2-day-old webOS user myself), but it comes off a bit rude - most people around here I've seen/read so far are really helpful, including those great guys themselves, who make all these FREE apps for us... AND spend a lot of time writing tutorials and answering the same questions hundreds of times to us webOS-newbies.

When I get my software and apps for free, I either ask politely for help from forums like this or spend the little time needed to Google it.

And as you probably know, these kind of communites are based on user contribution - so since you state that you made it work, why not share how you did it with the community. Can be a great help to others with a similar setup!

(and my own experiences are in the thread http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2783216)
    I agree with you psv75. And will try to be more polite
    But after spending hours on reading posts, page by page, thread by thread, post by post and reading tons of informations which are misunderstandable for me I get a bit angry I mean that answering with shortcuts makes another users will ask again and than again and again. And this makes our forum discussions very wordy and it's hard to find usefull informations. That was my intention - to ask Old Foxes to be more concrete when answering what will make all threads more readable, shorten and more undenstandable.

I will follow your suggestion and create my solutions thread "how to install Preware on WebOs 2.0" cause mine is a bit different than yours (no need to use SDK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelcu View Post
    I agree with you psv75. And will try to be more polite
    But after spending hours on reading posts, page by page, thread by thread, post by post and reading tons of informations which are misunderstandable for me I get a bit angry I mean that answering with shortcuts makes another users will ask again and than again and again. And this makes our forum discussions very wordy and it's hard to find usefull informations. That was my intention - to ask Old Foxes to be more concrete when answering what will make all threads more readable, shorten and more undenstandable.

I will follow your suggestion and create my solutions thread "how to install Preware on WebOs 2.0" cause mine is a bit different than yours (no need to use SDK)
    Pelcu, most of the people who try to help others here work hard to make everything very understandable. The trouble is that most people come to the forums and either don't know what to search for (the right terms) or don't use the search feature at all.

That means we end up answering the same questions over and over in the exact same way. And in order to avoid "very wordy" posts sometimes we shorten things. Of course we also try to post links to places where it has been answered before, but that simply involves searching. The difference in our search and someone who is new is that we have lkely seen the thread before and know the answer is there and what to search for.

If in the future you have a question that you are having trouble finding the answer to, feel free to send me a PM. I will do my best to help.

Welcome to PreCentral, the most amazing mobile platform community you will find anywhere.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Thanks for that kind invitation and offer, pastorrich1 Not all forum users like to answer on PM as I know from my experience.
    Now I start to place new posts, create new threads and being very active (as to makes some others angry) cause I'm really excited with this Palm WebOs 2.0. And it requires many answers cause not everything is perfect with it