Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 122
  1.    #1  
    In order to activate your new Unlocked GSM Pre 2 you will need an active SIM card with data plan. You will also need a Palm Profile (this can be your current profile if migrating from a previous WebOS device or you can create a new one during the first use application).

    VERY IMPORTANT: The very first SIM you insert and select your language with is the one that will determine your access to the app catalog and how you pay for apps if they are available to you in your location.

    IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED TO ACTIVATE WITH A LAUNCH COUNTRY SIM WHILE LOCATED IN THAT COUNTRY TO ENSURE THE DESIRED APP CATALOG AND OTA ACCESS.

    YOU ONLY GET ONE SHOT AT THIS!

    If you activate your phone with a U.S. based carrier (AT&T or T-Mobile) SIM, you will have access to the U.S. App Catalog and all U.S. model OTA updates. You will be able to pay for apps with U.S. based credit/debit/gift card accounts.

    If you activate your phone with any other carrier SIM, your access to the App Catalog or lack thereof will be based on your geographic location as well as the type of funds needed to purchase apps if they are available.

    These instructions apply to devices that have not had the carrier activation bypassed. If carrier activation was bypassed (like the devices that were given out at the NYC Dev Day) then you will need to run the First Use App. This can be accomplished by going to Device Info, scrolling down to Reset Options, and selecting App & Data Erase.

    If you (like me) do not have an account with a GSM carrier and intend to use your device over wifi as a developer tool or PDA, simply borrow an active SIM with data from a friend or from a carrier store that will be kind enough to allow you to use one from a demo phone for 5 minutes. Once the phone is activated and profile created/loaded, the phone will restart. After this restart it is now safe to remove the SIM card. All other data functions can now be completed using wifi, including your application downloads, App Catalog purchases and OTA updates.

    If anyone sees anything that needs to be updated or corrected, please let me know.

    For carrier information see TopTongueBarry’s thread HERE

    For additional details on App Catalog Geo-Restrictions see Rod Whitby’s thread HERE

    For locked GSM devices that need unlocking and activation see GuyFromNam’s thread HERE
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 11/23/2010 at 04:37 PM.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  2. wired.au's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #2  
    How much data is actually needed? The person doing the activation for me on AT&T does not have a data plan. Does anyone know if AT&T will just charge casual data rates in that situation?

    (here in Australia you can access data without a data plan, you just get charged casual data rates which is ok for small amounts of data)

    Thanks!
  3. bnceo's Avatar
    Posts
    533 Posts
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    In order to activate your new Unlocked GSM Pre 2 you will need an active SIM card with data plan. You will also need a Palm Profile (this can be your current profile if migrating from a previous WebOS device or you can create a new one during the first use application).
    If you try to use your Sprint or Verizon Palm Profile, you might lose some apps. Not every apps is ready for 2.0 I believe. And you lose your ability to use your profile on your older device. I made a separate profile for my Pre2 unlocked.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wired.au View Post
    How much data is actually needed? The person doing the activation for me on AT&T does not have a data plan. Does anyone know if AT&T will just charge casual data rates in that situation?

    (here in Australia you can access data without a data plan, you just get charged casual data rates which is ok for small amounts of data)

    Thanks!
    Perhaps someone on AT&T can comment with a certainty, but I am thinkingg the cost is around $2/MB. If you are restoring an existing profile that could get pretty expensive based on how long it takes for my current profile to load on a freshly Dr'd device. If you are creating a new profile, the cost should be minimal.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  5. wired.au's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Perhaps someone on AT&T can comment with a certainty, but I am thinkingg the cost is around $2/MB. If you are restoring an existing profile that could get pretty expensive based on how long it takes for my current profile to load on a freshly Dr'd device. If you are creating a new profile, the cost should be minimal.
    Neat, thanks. It'll be a new profile so I guess it can't cost that much. I just wasn't sure if an AT&T SIM without a data plan could access data services.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by wired.au View Post
    Neat, thanks. It'll be a new profile so I guess it can't cost that much. I just wasn't sure if an AT&T SIM without a data plan could access data services.
    The way I've heard it is that it will automatically add their lowest smartphone data plan ($15/month) just for putting the SIM in a smartphone.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wired.au View Post
    Neat, thanks. It'll be a new profile so I guess it can't cost that much. I just wasn't sure if an AT&T SIM without a data plan could access data services.
    As long as they don't have data use blocked then yes, it will default to a pay as you go sort of thing. (I used to have my kids phones on AT&T about a year and a half ago and it worked that way then).
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    The way I've heard it is that it will automatically add their lowest smartphone data plan ($15/month) just for putting the SIM in a smartphone.
    Great Work on getting Classic working in 2.0! I know many long time Palm users will be very happy and Palm should be since you could have just saved them thousands of devoted users.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    And you lose your ability to use your profile on your older device. I made a separate profile for my Pre2 unlocked.
    Are you saying that if I activate my Profile on my Pre2 and then later decide to reactivate it on my Sprint Pre 1.4.5, it won't work? Do you know this for sure?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  10. #10  
    Have you VERIFIED that you can activate a phone with an active sim while OUTSIDE the relevant launch country?
  11. wired.au's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    The way I've heard it is that it will automatically add their lowest smartphone data plan ($15/month) just for putting the SIM in a smartphone.
    ..... really? That would suck if it were the case. Has this happened to anyone?
  12. #12  
    Anyone know if I activate with an active att sim I borrow, will I be locked into waiting until att gets the ota updates?
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Patches Added to Preware: Fixed Keyboard Brightness 25, Fixed Keyboard Brightness 50, & Fixed Keyboard Brightness 100.
    @webOSdealer : A Day In My Life, #MaskAppeal Video - Enjoy
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by urig View Post
    Have you VERIFIED that you can activate a phone with an active sim while OUTSIDE the relevant launch country?
    No, I personally have not traveled outside of the U.S. to verify this. However my information on that came from the link I posted to Rod Whitby's thread concerning Geo Restrictions. He is one of the the most knowledgeable people on the matter since he lives and operates outside of the U.S. and has to deal with this issue.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSdealer View Post
    Anyone know if I activate with an active att sim I borrow, will I be locked into waiting until att gets the ota updates?
    Nope, no waiting... the updates on the unlocked devices (non-carrier branded purchased direct from HP Palm) will come directly from HP Palm. We have already experienced this with the OTA update to 2.0.1.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by urig View Post
    Have you VERIFIED that you can activate a phone with an active sim while OUTSIDE the relevant launch country?
    You should do the first activation with a launch country sim while physically in the launch country. Do not do it outside a launch country.

    The first post needs correcting to make this clear. You only get one chance to get it right.

    -- Rod
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Nope, no waiting... the updates on the unlocked devices (non-carrier branded purchased direct from HP Palm) will come directly from HP Palm. We have already experienced this with the OTA update to 2.0.1.
    That's what I thought. So, I guess I have to activate to get the 2.0.1 alert. If that is true, does that mean that it relies on my palm profile to tell me about the OTA updates?
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Patches Added to Preware: Fixed Keyboard Brightness 25, Fixed Keyboard Brightness 50, & Fixed Keyboard Brightness 100.
    @webOSdealer : A Day In My Life, #MaskAppeal Video - Enjoy
  17. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by wired.au View Post
    How much data is actually needed? The person doing the activation for me on AT&T does not have a data plan. Does anyone know if AT&T will just charge casual data rates in that situation?

    (here in Australia you can access data without a data plan, you just get charged casual data rates which is ok for small amounts of data)

    Thanks!
    I just went through the process w/ a prepaid At&T card w/ a 1meg purchase. The TTL process took only about 150Kb's of data. So it's negligible.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSdealer View Post
    That's what I thought. So, I guess I have to activate to get the 2.0.1 alert. If that is true, does that mean that it relies on my palm profile to tell me about the OTA updates?
    You have to activate AND have a valid profile to have access to the update. It relies on both. Then you can just tap the system updates app.

    I am pretty sure it relies on your first activation SIM carrier location to determine your GEO elligibility for updates as well as app catalog access.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You should do the first activation with a launch country sim while physically in the launch country. Do not do it outside a launch country.

    The first post needs correcting to make this clear. You only get one chance to get it right.

    -- Rod
    Sorry Rod, I will make the statement clearly above. I misunderstood this paragraph from your post that I linked.

    For GSM phones that use a SIM card: The country is based on the location of the wireless service provider that issued the SIM card. For example, if the SIM card is issued by a wireless service provider in Germany, and you were in France when you created the phone’s first Palm profile, the phone is still associated with Germany.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  20. #20  
    Thanks for starting this thread!

    I just tried to run webOS Doctor on my Pre 2 from the NYC Dev workshop and I got an error. It downloaded it and when I tried to run it there was a java error, something about something being undefined in a class?

    If I can't get this to work is my only option to do the "delete profiles" and then restart the phone with a borrowed SIM?
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions