Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    HI

I have scoured this thread to ensure I'm not wasting anyones time, but one thing isn't clear to me yet.

From what I gather you need
    (1) FIRST activation in the US or a release country
    (2) Setup of a profile in that country
    (3) a US/release country credit card

What isn't clear to me is the purchase of someone elses Pre.

If a US user has used one for a few weeks, activated it in the US with an AT&T sim, created his own profile, then sells it wiped, will I be able to create a profile in Australia (since I'm not keen on giving him any password/email details) and use the US app store (assuming I have a US based credit card)?

I'm sure this is a common scenario for most people who want a Pre 2 and access to the app catalog and have no US connections (so need to buy used from a stranger)

Some of the posts implied only an activation was required but I got spooked by one post suggesting a profile should also be created in the US. (the post kind of said it was a nice thing to do so wasn't sure if it was essential). I'm assuming it means as long as *any* profile was created in the US then subsequent users could create their profile from anywhere.

Thanks for any advice
    Doesn't matter where subsequent profiles are created, the only one that matters is the one that creates the device record.

Of course, Palm may change the rules on a whim at any time ...

-- Rod
    @megafluff
    Once a phone has been activated in the US and it has access to the US app catalog, then nothing you do will change the status of the phone as far as 'app catalog access' is concerned. I can vouch for this, since I have twice already done exactly what you wish to do. Once with an AT&T Pre + and the second time with an unlocked Pre 2. In fact, this coming week, I shall be doing the very same thing again with an AT&T Pre+.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Quit scaring us please. Unless the change is for the better, ie. Palm allowing one to sleect whihcever app catalog they wish to access, regardless of which country the phone is physically activated from.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Quit scaring us please. Unless the change is for the better, ie. Palm allowing one to sleect whihcever app catalog they wish to access, regardless of which country the phone is physically activated from.
    They changed it for the worse in Mexico just recently. They can do it again elsewhere if they choose, since they have not stated anything publicly about opening it up.

-- Rod
    They changed it for the worse in Mexico just recently. They can do it again elsewhere if they choose, since they have not stated anything publicly about opening it up.

-- Rod
    In fact, in Mexico we're a funny case, we can't insert our credit card data on our app catalog app, but the servers still receive the data and process it if you manage to install 1.4.5 in your profile or patch the app catalog in 2.1 to force it to show the preferences menu

Yes, I did the latter to recover my paid app access

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Thanks guys for the quick response! Fingers crossed there's no change to the policy on access before I get my mitts on my pre 2!
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    ok ive had a quick read through here and was wondering if someone could help me.

I think i have made a big mistake... depending on the reply i get....

I have bought a pre 2 of ebay france, im unsure if the phone has been activated already with a SFR simcard (im in the UK by the way) does this mean that i can only get the french app catalog, meaning all my apps will be in french and thus meaning if somehow i do quickly learn french that i need a french credit card.
    Doesn't matter where subsequent profiles are created, the only one that matters is the one that creates the device record.

-- Rod
    Rod, what about the opposite scenario.

I had a Pre- bought in Canada and activated in Canada, setup with a Canadian credit card.

Now, I have an unactivated, unlocked Pre 2. I just used Impostah to set to the US catalog, but logged in to the previous profile I had created with my Pre-.

In the App Catalog Preferences, it still contains my Canadian credit card information from that original profile.

Did I do everything correctly to begin purchasing apps from the US Catalog? (I haven't inserted my SIM card yet!)
    @Ubuntite
    I think you are good to go and should have no problems in accessing the US app catalog. Although, I think you will need to provide a US credit card to make the purchases.

Ofcourse 'Rod' can probalby provide a more certain answer to your query.

My plan is at&t, but I used another at&t SIM to get my phone configured (was impatient). When I received my 'intended' SIM, all works well on phone. Almost. I went to manage my profile and saw the old number with the phone number on the 'borrowed' SIM. I could not figure out how to edit this, but thought I could delete it and re-add one. App Catalog times out and will not come up. How do I get a new profile? I don't want to start over, if possible.

Everything seems to work, except App Catalog. Preware works fine.

thanks

Jim
    hi all i bought a new pre2 in the UK acivated it but can use free apps only. if i try to buy an app the only option to pay is US mexcio and canada. HP have been no help at all. I wanted to buy apps. This is in imo really poor. The phone is europe model unlocked.
    Last edited by 7iain7; 07/08/2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    Hi Rod, hello webos-internals crowd,

thanks for your amazing work here! With impostah's help, I could successfully activate my new Veer for Germany, although living in Austria, thereby getting access to paid apps - just as advertised. One thing is missing, though:

In the Accounts list, there is no Palm Profile entry. This results in the backup procedure failing halfway through, with an error message in /var/log/messages stating that no palm profile could be found. Also, in the impostah's accounts scene, the "palm profile" template is empty. In the "palm profile" scene, however, everything looks fine to me, the state=B, so it looks to me as if the profile was successfully created but then not added to the accounts list.

Ever witnessed such a behavior before? I used impostah 0.9.9 for the setup.

Thanks for any advice...
    Quote Originally Posted by mephinet View Post
    Hi Rod, hello webos-internals crowd,

thanks for your amazing work here! With impostah's help, I could successfully activate my new Veer for Germany, although living in Austria, thereby getting access to paid apps - just as advertised. One thing is missing, though:

In the Accounts list, there is no Palm Profile entry. This results in the backup procedure failing halfway through, with an error message in /var/log/messages stating that no palm profile could be found. Also, in the impostah's accounts scene, the "palm profile" template is empty. In the "palm profile" scene, however, everything looks fine to me, the state=B, so it looks to me as if the profile was successfully created but then not added to the accounts list.

Ever witnessed such a behavior before? I used impostah 0.9.9 for the setup.

Thanks for any advice...
    Now that your device is activated, you should do a full reset and go through the standard login process. This will create the default palm profile account.

At some stage I'll probably add a feature to create that account from Impostah. I just need to work out the right way to do it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Great, thanks for the hint, will try that in the evening...
    Now that your device is activated, you should do a full reset and go through the standard login process. This will create the default palm profile account.
    Thanks Rod, that did the trick, now my profile is in the accounts list and the backup is working! Vielen Dank!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    These instructions apply to devices that have not had the carrier activation bypassed. If carrier activation was bypassed (like the devices that were given out at the NYC Dev Day) then you will need to run the First Use App. This can be accomplished by going to Device Info, scrolling down to Reset Options, and selecting App & Data Erase.

How can I tell if the "unopened" pre 2 that I've ordered from eBay hasn't been set up as a dev device?
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neo999 View Post
    How can I tell if the "unopened" pre 2 that I've ordered from eBay hasn't been set up as a dev device?
    Nevermind. Put in my SIM, logged into my profile and app downloads started. Already had webOS 2.1 so didn't need a system update. I have access to the full app catalog, and my new phone shows up in my webOS account. I am in love with webOS all over again. This phone is awesome. Preware, here I come.
    Hey, just so everyone knows. You can now get sim cards on Straight Talk (Welcome | Straight Talk) to use with your phone.
    what's up people. Well I found a HP Palm Pre 2 phone, just not using it as I have, I have WI-FI in my house but no sign and I can not create an account ... Someone help me please?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast