Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Alright, so, just to verify so I don't mess this up, I'm selling my Dev Day Pre 2 to someone in a country who wants access to the US catalog.

So this is what I'm going to do:

- Run First Use
    - Insert a friend's AT&T SIM
    - Select English
    - Verify that I can download a free app.
    - Remove the SIM
    - Wipe the phone again with a full erase of everything.
    - Turn it off and package it up for its overseas voyage.

Right?
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Alright, so, just to verify so I don't mess this up, I'm selling my Dev Day Pre 2 to someone in a country who wants access to the US catalog.

So this is what I'm going to do:

- Run First Use
    - Insert a friend's AT&T SIM
    - Select English
    - Verify that I can download a free app.
    - Remove the SIM
    - Wipe the phone again with a full erase of everything.
    - Turn it off and package it up for its overseas voyage.

Right?
    Not if you really want to help your friend.

1. Have him provide you with an email address and password that he wants a Palm Profile set up under.

2. Go buy a Simon Malls visa gift card with $50 bucks on it and go online to activate it for online purchases using a U.S. address and other info.

3. Do a full erase and then insert the AT&T sim, turn on phone and run through first use, create his profile

4. Go into the app catalog and find Preware Homebrew Documentation and click to purchase it. When it prompts for account information enter the Simon Malls Visa info as you entered it online. Finish the purchase.

5. Once all of that is done, turn the phone off, remove your SIM and package it safely for shipping.

Your friend will appreciate you making sure everything is good BEFORE it lands in his hands. He will just need to insert his SIM, turn it on and go.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Forums webOS • View topic - Bypass activation on Palm Pre 2

what does it do to the palm pre 2? will i still hace access to the app catalog?

thanks
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by legion732 View Post
    Forums webOS • View topic - Bypass activation on Palm Pre 2

what does it do to the palm pre 2? will i still hace access to the app catalog?

thanks
    You can use the bypass code #*3386633# then once in the system install Arthur Thornton's show first use app patch for webOS 2.x and run the first use app to create a profile and have access to apps and OTA updates...

Or, you can follow the instructions in the first post of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I just went through the process w/ a prepaid At&T card w/ a 1meg purchase. The TTL process took only about 150Kb's of data. So it's negligible.
    I'm interested to learn what this means ...

I just went to an ATT store ... and was told I had to get a voice plan and data plan ... no contract, so I could cancel after a month ... but it would have been $40 for 450 voice minutes + either $15 for 200MB or $25 for 2GB ...

So ... it seems I need to ask for something more specific than "a prepaid ATT card with 1MB of data" ...

I'm confused ...
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I want to be 100% of what I am doing.

I just received my unlocked Palm Pre 2.
    I live in Italy and I would like to start to use the Pre 2 NOT activated so when I go to UK (probably next month) I can just run first use and activate it with full app catalog access.

I want to be sure that if I install a doctor with first use application bypassed and then use it not activated in Italy with my Italian sim card will not registed my Pre2 in Palm Database as an Italian device. So when I go to UK I will still have a "clean" device to activate with full paid app catalog access.

If I understand correctly the App Catalog Country is only set when and if I run first time app AND select language.
    If I bypass activation AND use my phone with my sim inserted (even with active data plan) the country for the app catalog will NOT be set. Am I correct?

Thank you,
    Francesco
    Last edited by Frankk; 03/14/2011 at 02:40 PM.
    Hi, I purchased a new Palm Pre 2 approximately 3 month ago from HP.com, I live in Azerbaijan, Baku, so I can't buy applications from app store but I can download free apps, so do you have any solution for this, how I can purchase apps?

I have US based address, so I think to buy US carrier sim card with data plan, then activate it in Azerbaijan, how do you think it's will work?

Best regards
    Rufat Jalilov
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by rufat_j View Post
    Hi, I purchased a new Palm Pre 2 approximately 3 month ago from HP.com, I live in Azerbaijan, Baku, so I can't buy applications from app store but I can download free apps, so do you have any solution for this, how I can purchase apps?

I have US based address, so I think to buy US carrier sim card with data plan, then activate it in Azerbaijan, how do you think it's will work?

Best regards
    Rufat Jalilov
    The first post in this thread lists the ways you can get access to paid apps. If you have already inserted a sim and activated, you are done. Nothing else can be done for you. If you have bypassed activation and you want US app catalog access, you will have to activate it within the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    The first post in this thread lists the ways you can get access to paid apps. If you have already inserted a sim and activated, you are done. Nothing else can be done for you. If you have bypassed activation and you want US app catalog access, you will have to activate it within the US.
    So, I Have one idea, if I will buy a AT&T or T-mobile sim card and ask seller to activate data plan and roaming on it, then seller sent sim card to me to Azerbaijan, then I'll make full erase of Palm Pre 2, then I'll put sim card to phone so because roaming and data plan already activated it must working in my country with roaming services, I can access to internet and create new Palm account on it after that I can access to app catalog and can make purchasing from app catalg, but I must add credit card, so I can't do it because I must have US billing credit card to make purchases from app catalog, I found solution for this too, I can buy Simon Malls Giftcard,

So please can you tell me, How do you think my thoughts in the right direction?

Best regards
    Rufat Jalilov
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Hey guys. I got my dev Pre 2 from Palm last week, and proceeded to activate it. O2 used to carry the Pre-/Pre+, however don't have the Pre 2. I activated my device on Meteor (another Irish network), and now I don't even have access to free apps. I've read elsewhere about paid apps carrier restrictions, but never anything about free apps.

Any ideas what's going on? Preware is working great for getting free apps, but it's still a bit annoying that I can't use the App Catalog for free apps at least.

EDIT: Oh, and I was able to update to 2.1 OTA no problem. App Catalog problem existed before the update too.
    Last edited by Popple3; 03/29/2011 at 06:51 PM.
    Nokia 3210 -> Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 3330 -> Sharp GX10 -> Nokia 3410 -> Siemens C66 -> Sony Ericsson K700i -> Sony Ericsson W810i -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G -> HTC Desire -> iPhone 3G -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G -> HTC Desire/Samsung Galaxy Europa/Samsung Wave/iPhone 3G -> Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Popple3 View Post
    Hey guys. I got my dev Pre 2 from Palm last week, and proceeded to activate it. O2 used to carry the Pre-/Pre+, however don't have the Pre 2. I activated my device on Meteor (another Irish network), and now I don't even have access to free apps. I've read elsewhere about paid apps carrier restrictions, but never anything about free apps.

Any ideas what's going on? Preware is working great for getting free apps, but it's still a bit annoying that I can't use the App Catalog for free apps at least.
    You have run afoul of Palm's app catalog access madness.

You should ask Palm Support for a full refund. Tweet @richardkerris and @adora with details of your unfortunate circumstances.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You have run afoul of Palm's app catalog access madness.

You should ask Palm Support for a full refund. Tweet @richardkerris and @adora with details of your unfortunate circumstances.

-- Rod
    Well, it was one of the free dev Pre 2s, so a refund isn't exactly on the table. I still want to dev for the platform anyway, despite these fatal flaws.

I shall tweet them now though.

EDIT: Oh wait, I see you beat me to it :P
    Nokia 3210 -> Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 3330 -> Sharp GX10 -> Nokia 3410 -> Siemens C66 -> Sony Ericsson K700i -> Sony Ericsson W810i -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G -> HTC Desire -> iPhone 3G -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G -> HTC Desire/Samsung Galaxy Europa/Samsung Wave/iPhone 3G -> Palm Pre 2
    Well, it was one of the free dev Pre 2s, so a refund isn't exactly on the table. I still want to dev for the platform anyway, despite these fatal flaws.
    So you are a fellow rare developer who, even though they nor anyone else in the country in which they live can purchase apps from the HP App Catalog, is still going to develop for the platform. Hopefully HP takes notice of your dedication.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    So you are a fellow rare developer who, even though they nor anyone else in the country in which they live can purchase apps from the HP App Catalog, is still going to develop for the platform. Hopefully HP takes notice of your dedication.

-- Rod
    I'm going all in with webOS. After using it for less than a week, I love it, I love working with Javascript, and I love mobile development. I've even gone and bought myself a Pixi and Pre- (cheap second hand one, but still) for legacy testing (and to play around with in general).

I see it more as a fun thing to do than something to make profit from, and I may just be a young dev coding between classes/work placement, but that doesn't mean I can't add value to webOS's app ecosystem.

EDIT: Yes, yet another edit. Others in the country can access the App Catalog. My girlfriend's 2.1 meta-doctored Pre- has full access, probably because I activated it with an O2 SIM card, and a fellow Irish developer has (at least free) apps on his Pre 2 activated on O2. Clearly a carrier restriction problem, rather than geo-restriction for me
    Last edited by Popple3; 03/29/2011 at 07:17 PM.
    I'm going all in with webOS. After using it for less than a week, I love it, I love working with Javascript, and I love mobile development. I've even gone and bought myself a Pixi and Pre- (cheap second hand one, but still) for legacy testing (and to play around with in general).

I see it more as a fun thing to do than something to make profit from, and I may just be a young dev coding between classes/work placement, but that doesn't mean I can't add value to webOS's app ecosystem.

EDIT: Yes, yet another edit. Others in the country can access the App Catalog. My girlfriend's 2.1 meta-doctored Pre- has full access, probably because I activated it with an O2 SIM card, and a fellow Irish developer has (at least free) apps on his Pre 2 activated on O2. Clearly a carrier restriction problem, rather than geo-restriction for me
    So two people standing in the same place, with the same HP webOS phone, can either get or not get access to the app catalog depending upon which SIM they insert first into their phone. And that action causes an irrevocable setting for that phone forever more. Ridiculous.

The same thing has struck developers in Canada too. It seems that inexplicable past app catalog design decisions are causing HP to treat their international developers in a way that is incongruent with "global scale".

Dedicated developers and evangelists for the webOS platform such as yourself should be the people that HP are courting, not putting impediments in front of them.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/29/2011 at 07:31 PM.
  16.    #96  

I shall tweet them now though.

EDIT: Oh wait, I see you beat me to it :P
    A refund obviously isn't on the table, but a call/email to your dev relations account manager should be able to swap you out and get a device that is either already activated with app catalog access or get one shipped to someone who can activate it and then ship it to you.

And ultimately this doesn't correct their problem but it does get you going for the time being.
    Although this is going to come off like I am a ****, I don't mean it to. I've seen too many people complaining about problems and, what looks like, no initiative to resolve the problem without getting hand holding from HPalm.

The webOS community is apparently filled with a ton of developers and code-foo kids, yet none of you are able to run a traffic stream dump during registration of the device from a "sanctioned" SIM and compare it with one from an "invalid" one? All it would take is 4 fresh devices to build a diff pattern, likely possible with 2. If it's plaintext, great, netsed it to swap regional values. If it's not, strip the SSL, rebuild the stream and modify it. At least, in the event that it's not reversible by forced resending of registration information (unlikely, but hey, who knows?) it can be mangled before registration of new devices as a hackney work-around until HP pulls their head out of the dark spot and fixes it.

You've got a great community here for evangelizing and flying the flag of "open nature" for webOS...but unless you're willing to actually use some skills and leverage that for when you NEED to, it might as well be a completely moot point. Open source doesn't save you when the ship is sinking - but it does allow you to rebuild and patch the boat.

If this has already been investigated, by all means, go ahead and harp me out for completely jumping the shark and attacking. But until I'm told otherwise (and I've made daring attempts to talk to some of you "in the know", even offering my assistance, only to be completely ignored and snubbed).

Comments and flames alike are highly recommended. Let. It. Rip.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
    Although this is going to come off like I am a ****, I don't mean it to. I've seen too many people complaining about problems and, what looks like, no initiative to resolve the problem without getting hand holding from HPalm.

The webOS community is apparently filled with a ton of developers and code-foo kids, yet none of you are able to run a traffic stream dump during registration of the device from a "sanctioned" SIM and compare it with one from an "invalid" one? All it would take is 4 fresh devices to build a diff pattern, likely possible with 2. If it's plaintext, great, netsed it to swap regional values. If it's not, strip the SSL, rebuild the stream and modify it. At least, in the event that it's not reversible by forced resending of registration information (unlikely, but hey, who knows?) it can be mangled before registration of new devices as a hackney work-around until HP pulls their head out of the dark spot and fixes it.

You've got a great community here for evangelizing and flying the flag of "open nature" for webOS...but unless you're willing to actually use some skills and leverage that for when you NEED to, it might as well be a completely moot point. Open source doesn't save you when the ship is sinking - but it does allow you to rebuild and patch the boat.

If this has already been investigated, by all means, go ahead and harp me out for completely jumping the shark and attacking. But until I'm told otherwise (and I've made daring attempts to talk to some of you "in the know", even offering my assistance, only to be completely ignored and snubbed).

Comments and flames alike are highly recommended. Let. It. Rip.
    I guess you haven't been following the progress of the Impostah tool, or the latest pages added to the WebOS Internals wiki ...

However, you miss the point that hard-core homebrew solutions don't fix the problem for Joe Consumer. Witness the number of people still running 1.4.5 on legacy devices.

-- Rod
    I guess you haven't been following the progress of the Impostah tool, or the latest pages added to the WebOS Internals wiki ...

However, you miss the point that hard-core homebrew solutions don't fix the problem for Joe Consumer. Witness the number of people still running 1.4.5 on legacy devices.

-- Rod
    I'm guessing this -> Palm Profile Interactions - WebOS Internals is what you're referring to?

So you've got dumps, they're done over encrypted channels. Inject a user level cert and let's discover a bit more. Have you manually registered a fresh device by feeding the correct data to the Palm servers?
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Rich, perhaps you could add this one to the OT:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...og-access.html
    I will most definitely add it, but I want to wait until Rod is comfortable saying it's good and has a published means of doing it or getting it done.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast