Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Clarification question: Is the NYC Dev Day Pre 2 already tied to a Catalog? I couldn't figure that out based on the OP. Help?
    No - you need to be careful about where you first activate it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    No - you need to be careful about where you first activate it.

-- Rod
    Gotcha. Thanks a lot!
  3.    #63  
    Clarification question: Is the NYC Dev Day Pre 2 already tied to a Catalog? I couldn't figure that out based on the OP. Help?
    My apologies. I included the quote below based on the tweets I was seeing from those at the event that had questions about activation. I didn't think to specify that running the first use app for the very first time is where activation takes place. They were devs... I thought they probably knew. LOL

These instructions apply to devices that have not had the carrier activation bypassed. If carrier activation was bypassed (like the devices that were given out at the NYC Dev Day) then you will need to run the First Use App. This can be accomplished by going to Device Info, scrolling down to Reset Options, and selecting App & Data Erase.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    My apologies. I included the quote below based on the tweets I was seeing from those at the event that had questions about activation. I didn't think to specify that running the first use app for the very first time is where activation takes place. They were devs... I thought they probably knew. LOL
    Thanks. And so if I'm selling this thing to someone out of country, I pop in an AT&T SIM, run First Use, then do a full erase again, and from then on, no matter who puts a SIM in next wherever, it'll utilize the USA App Catalog, right?
  5.    #65  
    Thanks. And so if I'm selling this thing to someone out of country, I pop in an AT&T SIM, run First Use, then do a full erase again, and from then on, no matter who puts a SIM in next wherever, it'll utilize the USA App Catalog, right?
    Yep, once you activate it the first time in the U.S. with a U.S. based carrier SIM, it is good from that point forward. No amount of consumer Dr'ing, app and data or full erases can undo it.

I have done this several times now for users outside of the U.S. and they have no issues. (I didn't sell them though, I only assisted with activation).
    Yep, once you activate it the first time in the U.S. with a U.S. based carrier SIM, it is good from that point forward. No amount of consumer Dr'ing, app and data or full erases can undo it.

I have done this several times now for users outside of the U.S. and they have no issues. (I didn't sell them though, I only assisted with activation).
    Perfect. Are Simon Cards the still best method for paying outside of the USA?
  7.    #67  
    Perfect. Are Simon Cards the still best method for paying outside of the USA?
    Yes, they can be purchased online or at a Simon Mall Customer Service counter. One very important thing though. In order for them to work for online purchases they MUST be registered online at the Simon Gift Card site and must be registered to a U.S. address.

I have only tried it with the Simon Malls Visa gift card and it worked. It is now happily buying apps in the land down under.
    Please also update the sticky - it looks like app cat is not only region locked, but also carrier locked as well, at least in Canada... updated in the last post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...paid-apps.html

They were a little shifty when pressed about it, but they made it sound like if I had bought an unlocked HP phone, I wouldn't have had this problem and only because I have a Rogers phone which was then unlocked.
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenlump View Post
    Please also update the sticky - it looks like app cat is not only region locked, but also carrier locked as well, at least in Canada... updated in the last post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...paid-apps.html

They were a little shifty when pressed about it, but they made it sound like if I had bought an unlocked HP phone, I wouldn't have had this problem and only because I have a Rogers phone which was then unlocked.
    I feel bad that you do not have access to the paid app catalog and if it were a result of misinformation or outdated information in the OP I would change it to reflect that. However the title of this sticky specifies "Unlocked GSM Pre 2" and your Pre 2 is not unlocked. It is locked to your carrier. I extend my apologies if this thread caused you any confusion.
    I feel bad that you do not have access to the paid app catalog and if it were a result of misinformation or outdated information in the OP I would change it to reflect that. However the title of this sticky specifies "Unlocked GSM Pre 2" and your Pre 2 is not unlocked. It is locked to your carrier. I extend my apologies if this thread caused you any confusion.
    Sorry, this was not meant as a slight to you or the authors here. I was updating the post above from GuyFromNam confirming that indeed it is carrier specific as well, so that others can also be warned.
    In order to activate your new Unlocked GSM Pre 2 you will need an active SIM card with data plan. You will also need a Palm Profile (this can be your current profile if migrating from a previous WebOS device or you can create a new one during the first use application).

VERY IMPORTANT: The very first SIM you insert and select your language with is the one that will determine your access to the app catalog and how you pay for apps if they are available to you in your location.

IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED TO ACTIVATE WITH A LAUNCH COUNTRY SIM WHILE LOCATED IN THAT COUNTRY TO ENSURE THE DESIRED APP CATALOG AND OTA ACCESS.

YOU ONLY GET ONE SHOT AT THIS!

If you activate your phone with a U.S. based carrier (AT&T or T-Mobile) SIM, you will have access to the U.S. App Catalog and all U.S. model OTA updates. You will be able to pay for apps with U.S. based credit/debit/gift card accounts.

If you activate your phone with any other carrier SIM, your access to the App Catalog or lack thereof will be based on your geographic location as well as the type of funds needed to purchase apps if they are available.

These instructions apply to devices that have not had the carrier activation bypassed. If carrier activation was bypassed (like the devices that were given out at the NYC Dev Day) then you will need to run the First Use App. This can be accomplished by going to Device Info, scrolling down to Reset Options, and selecting App & Data Erase.

If you (like me) do not have an account with a GSM carrier and intend to use your device over wifi as a developer tool or PDA, simply borrow an active SIM with data from a friend or from a carrier store that will be kind enough to allow you to use one from a demo phone for 5 minutes. Once the phone is activated and profile created/loaded, the phone will restart. After this restart it is now safe to remove the SIM card. All other data functions can now be completed using wifi, including your application downloads, App Catalog purchases and OTA updates.

If anyone sees anything that needs to be updated or corrected, please let me know.

For carrier information see TopTongueBarry’s thread HERE

For additional details on App Catalog Geo-Restrictions see Rod Whitby’s thread HERE

For locked GSM devices that need unlocking and activation see GuyFromNam’s thread HERE
    Hi, I have a Palm Pre with a data plan with a Mexican Carrier (Telcel). Now I just bought an unlocked Palm Pre 2. I will be in San Diego CA, where I will receive my Palm Pre 2 and a AT&T Sim Card SKU 71234 - Brand New Unactivated. I planned to put 20 USD to activate it and then insert it into the Palm Pre. After getting the capability to get apps in the US, I want to return to Tijuana, Mexico and then use the Pre 2 with my telcel dataplan. What do you recommend me to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by panqueco View Post
    Hi, I have a Palm Pre with a data plan with a Mexican Carrier (Telcel). Now I just bought an unlocked Palm Pre 2. I will be in San Diego CA, where I will receive my Palm Pre 2 and a AT&T Sim Card SKU 71234 - Brand New Unactivated. I planned to put 20 USD to activate it and then insert it into the Palm Pre. After getting the capability to get apps in the US, I want to return to Tijuana, Mexico and then use the Pre 2 with my telcel dataplan. What do you recommend me to do?
    You need to activate it using a USA SIM while in the USA to get the full App Catalog. In this case, your AT&T Prepaid SIM will do perfectly. Just pop it in when you are in the USA with your Pre2. Then turn on your Pre2. Log into your pre-existing profile.

At this point, you can go back to Tijuana if you want and pop in your Telcel SIM and then you will have a fully unlocked Pre2 running on Telcel.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    You should do the first activation with a launch country sim while physically in the launch country. Do not do it outside a launch country.

The first post needs correcting to make this clear. You only get one chance to get it right.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod. I am from Jamaica in the Caribbean and new to the Central and had my palm pre2 bought directly from Hp. I did not know about this first activation issue and geo-location and unfortunately I have already activated the phone with my carrier in jamaica. As you said I have no access to the App Cat. and when clicked it only responds that the app is not found. I was surprised however when I got an OTA update offer for OS 2.0.1 which installed flawlessly. Is there any hope for me getting all those great apps out there on my phone? Will Quick install 4 help along with developer mode connection (I have been reading!)? Help.......PLLLLEEEEAAAASSSE.
    Hi. I am from Jamaica in the Caribbean and new to the Central and had my palm pre2 bought directly from Hp Store USA (unlocked). I did not know about this first activation issue and geo-location and unfortunately I have already activated the phone with my carrier in jamaica. As you said I have no access to the App Cat. and when clicked it only responds that the app is not found. I was surprised however when I got an OTA update offer for OS 2.0.1 which installed flawlessly. Is there any hope for me getting all those great apps out there on my phone? Will Quick install 4 help along with developer mode connection (I have been reading!)? Help.......PLLLLEEEEAAAASSSE....ANYONE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm4eva View Post
    Hi. I am from Jamaica in the Caribbean and new to the Central and had my palm pre2 bought directly from Hp Store USA (unlocked). I did not know about this first activation issue and geo-location and unfortunately I have already activated the phone with my carrier in jamaica. As you said I have no access to the App Cat. and when clicked it only responds that the app is not found. I was surprised however when I got an OTA update offer for OS 2.0.1 which installed flawlessly. Is there any hope for me getting all those great apps out there on my phone? Will Quick install 4 help along with developer mode connection (I have been reading!)? Help.......PLLLLEEEEAAAASSSE....ANYONE!!!
    As clearly stated, you will never be ablt to buy apps on that device.

-- Rod
    As clearly stated, you will never be ablt to buy apps on that device.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod, that is clear with me now. Really, I do not mind the buying access from the apps store, but moreso the ability to getting apps (free) onto the phone. Can this so called preware work? If so, please point me to the thread(s) that can guide me.
  17.    #77  
    Thanks Rod, that is clear with me now. Really, I do not mind the buying access from the apps store, but moreso the ability to getting apps (free) onto the phone. Can this so called preware work? If so, please point me to the thread(s) that can guide me.
    I know you are new... I just couldn't help but laugh when you say to Rod Whitby.. "Can this so called Preware work?"

psssst.... Rod is the creator of Preware. Trust me... it works!

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...eware-1-x.html
    pastorrich1,
    sorry but I cant share the laughter with you. Unfortunately my wording came off that way but what I really meant was - "can Preware work...FOR ME." I left off those important words. No offence intended Rod, In fact it is your fine work which may save my hide getting some apps onto the phone. We need to get the word out that if you decide to buy a pre get on over to pre central.net and be informed before you grab one! I learnt the hard way. Well I will be following the links to PreWare and report back on my progress. Thanks guys.
    No offence intended Rod, In fact it is your fine work which may save my hide getting some apps onto the phone. We need to get the word out that if you decide to buy a pre get on over to pre central.net and be informed before you grab one! I learnt the hard way. Well I will be following the links to PreWare and report back on my progress. Thanks guys.
    No offence taken. Good luck.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20.    #80  
    pastorrich1,
    sorry but I cant share the laughter with you. Unfortunately my wording came off that way but what I really meant was - "can Preware work...FOR ME." I left off those important words. No offence intended Rod, In fact it is your fine work which may save my hide getting some apps onto the phone. We need to get the word out that if you decide to buy a pre get on over to pre central.net and be informed before you grab one! I learnt the hard way. Well I will be following the links to PreWare and report back on my progress. Thanks guys.
    I figured you didn't mean anything by the comment. I just got tickled at the irony of it. As you can see, Rod doesn't take offense easily and if he does, he hides it well.

Welcome to the community.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast