Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by llamasson View Post
    Maybe this could be good news for some people.I just got the information if you live in Sweden and order a pre 2 from HP UK store they will pre-activate the phone before shipping.

I'm dont know if this is the case for other European country's.
    That is very good news, and it shows that HP is listening and wants to help as much as they can. Thanks for sharing.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Why not try and create a new profile to activate and then after you are activated do an apps and data erase and attempt to load your profile?

I have now activated 3 Pre 2's using my T-mobile SIM. No issues on any of them and created a new profile on each.

You can just Dr. to get back to where you need to be at the first use app.
    Turns out the problem I have is that they sold me a broadband sim and prepay plan that is blocked on the TMobile side from working with all but a few devices.

They offered to set me up with the right voice pre-pay plan with $1.49/day data access, but I found that the patch in another thread here from Arthur to put you back into first use mode worked perfectly. I was able to associate with my second Palm Profile. I'm happy with the $10 I spent thus far without upping to a $30 voice pre-pay sim.

The sim I have is blocked from getting to the data plan, but was enough to establish that I'm in the USofA from Palm's perspective. I now have a rockin' dev device when I'm in wifi range. Goofball solutions (should be my company name) is to use the Verizon Pre Plus in free hotspot mode to allow the Pre2 to connect when not in a wifi hotspot.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffa00 View Post
    Turns out the problem I have is that they sold me a broadband sim and prepay plan that is blocked on the TMobile side from working with all but a few devices.

They offered to set me up with the right voice pre-pay plan with $1.49/day data access, but I found that the patch in another thread here from Arthur to put you back into first use mode worked perfectly. I was able to associate with my second Palm Profile. I'm happy with the $10 I spent thus far without upping to a $30 voice pre-pay sim.

The sim I have is blocked from getting to the data plan, but was enough to establish that I'm in the USofA from Palm's perspective. I now have a rockin' dev device when I'm in wifi range. Goofball solutions (should be my company name) is to use the Verizon Pre Plus in free hotspot mode to allow the Pre2 to connect when not in a wifi hotspot.
    Awesome... glad you got it working... Make sure and throw Arthur some thanks in the thread where you got the patch. That's the only compensation folks around here get and it means a lot.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Awesome... glad you got it working... Make sure and throw Arthur some thanks in the thread where you got the patch. That's the only compensation folks around here get and it means a lot.
    Yep, I had already thanked him.

Both your advice (and previous posts) and his patch were necessary for me to get it all sorted.

Thanks to both of you!
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Dude,
    There are many of us out there, that have a problem with a "wrong" activation of the Pre 2.
    Could you please post a link to Arthur's patch that fixes it.
    Thank you in advance!
    Where would I find the carrier settings?

Will I need to know the APN, etc for data when I get the unlocked Pre2?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_sve View Post
    Dude,
    There are many of us out there, that have a problem with a "wrong" activation of the Pre 2.
    Could you please post a link to Arthur's patch that fixes it.
    Thank you in advance!
    Sorry I missed this question!

I think this is the most recent post he made:
    Patch Post For Resetting To First Use

I'm not 100% sure if I really needed my SIM, but I think so. The SIM is what tells the phone which country it is in. Lots of folks have had luck just going to the store and asking to use a sim long enough to activate. I spent $10 thinking I could use the pre-paid data. Didn't work out, but in combo with the patch I'm a happy camper.

Make sure you Thank him for that post!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Where would I find the carrier settings?

Will I need to know the APN, etc for data when I get the unlocked Pre2?

Thanks
    Not if you are going to use it as a WiFi ONLY developer device. If you want to use it on a network as a phone (or use their data), then yes. For the most part the APN, etc. should be pushed to the phone when you try to activate it with the SIM. IF you have the right kind of plan. My SIM worked, but T-Mobile blocked me from using the data plan. Since I was only out $10 I didn't complain since the SIM did allow me to verify that I was in the US. If I ever want to sign up for T-Mobile service, I can use this SIM and switch plans.

If you do need the settings, you can google for them. There are a few sites that compile them. I can't remember the name of the site I consulted at the moment. The folks at the store (or on the phone) will tell you as well.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I have a Palm Profile that has "United States" as Country (I used this with my Pre +, which I have since sold & don't have anymore).

I plan to purchase an unlocked Pre 2. Is there a way change the Profile to reflect "Canada" instead of "United States"? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I am ignorant when it comes to bands, frequencys ect. And I am considering purchasing a Pre2 unlocked from the HP store. I have read several threads on activation, but the more I read the more concerned I become.
    I currently have a Pre Plus on Verizon. It is a Verizon phone. I have the phone jailbroken and running overclocked. Many patches installed.
    Country is not an issue. I will activate it the same place I will use it.
    This is a line and data plan owned by a big corporate company. I deal with Verizon business services dept when I need to activate a new phone. Anything deemed "unsecure" will set off red flags. Being that I have never had or activated a unlocked phone, concerns me. Hate to fork out the bucks on a 2 to find out there is some tidbit that won't allow me to activate it.
    Am I correct in thinking that I have to pull the sim card from my Pre Plus (I assume I have one in it) plug it into the new phone and begin activation? Is it that simple? I have a very large phone book (about 700 entrys) and stuff in the memo pad application that I will need to pull over.
    Help. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm2010 View Post
    I am ignorant when it comes to bands, frequencys ect. And I am considering purchasing a Pre2 unlocked from the HP store. I have read several threads on activation, but the more I read the more concerned I become.
    I currently have a Pre Plus on Verizon. It is a Verizon phone. I have the phone jailbroken and running overclocked. Many patches installed.
    Country is not an issue. I will activate it the same place I will use it.
    This is a line and data plan owned by a big corporate company. I deal with Verizon business services dept when I need to activate a new phone. Anything deemed "unsecure" will set off red flags. Being that I have never had or activated a unlocked phone, concerns me. Hate to fork out the bucks on a 2 to find out there is some tidbit that won't allow me to activate it.
    Am I correct in thinking that I have to pull the sim card from my Pre Plus (I assume I have one in it) plug it into the new phone and begin activation? Is it that simple? I have a very large phone book (about 700 entrys) and stuff in the memo pad application that I will need to pull over.
    Help. Thanks in advance.
    Verizon is CDMA, the unlocked Pre 2 is GSM. They are completely incompatible at the hardware level.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you did not create a profile at that time, the device was not "activated" (where activated means creation of the device record in the Palm server database which determines your app catalog access).

Where did you first create a palm profile?

-- Rod
    Hi Rod,
    Created my profile back in Singapore.
    Looks like I'll have to live with free apps from the catalog for now.
    HP/Palm recently activated access to the free apps.
    I had some trouble with activating too. I used my German T-Mobile SIM card. And I got no paid apps.

So I contacted the Palm support. After some chatting with Support they opened a support ticket. And after a week I can see paid apps again So the support actually helped in my case.
    Is the app catalog country based or also carrier specific as well? (ie. launch carrier)

I got a Rogers Pre 2 and unlocked it - and activated it with a Telus SIM card - both Canadian providers.

I noticed that my app catalog only contains freeware apps?
    If I purchased an EU Pre 2 and then activated it in Australia using an AT&T sim would that grant me access to the US App Catalog or could this be a bit dicey?
    Quote Originally Posted by raiamino View Post
    If I purchased an EU Pre 2 and then activated it in Australia using an AT&T sim would that grant me access to the US App Catalog or could this be a bit dicey?
    If you did that, you would irrevocably be consigned to the "Free" App catalog, from which you cannot purchase apps but only download the subset of apps which are free. Remember you only get one shot to get this right, and that is not the right shot.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Does Canada count as America or is it a different App Catalog? That's about as close as to America I can get the phone activated.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    If I activate using my UK O2 sim, will I have access to paid apps when I change to a UK vodafone account?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Thanks Guy

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Clarification question: Is the NYC Dev Day Pre 2 already tied to a Catalog? I couldn't figure that out based on the OP. Help?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast