Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread!

I just tried to run webOS Doctor on my Pre 2 from the NYC Dev workshop and I got an error. It downloaded it and when I tried to run it there was a java error, something about something being undefined in a class?

If I can't get this to work is my only option to do the "delete profiles" and then restart the phone with a borrowed SIM?
    Give me a little history please. What have you done from the time you got the phone? Did you try activating or did you try the Dr. so you could activate? Is the phone working right now? etc.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Give me a little history please. What have you done from the time you got the phone? Did you try activating or did you try the Dr. so you could activate? Is the phone working right now? etc.
    I received the phone at the dev day. When they gave it to me they said it had been setup to work without being activated and that if I wanted to use it as a phone I would need to use the webOS doctor.

I turned it on and connected via wi-fi to the internet, pulled up google maps etc...

Tried to access the app catalog and noticed it didn't work. I then did some googling and found the Palm site explaining that the phone that is working via bypassing the activation would not have app catalog access.

Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center

Did some searching on this website...decided to go ahead and use webOS Doctor before taking my phone to an AT&T store to borrow a sim.

First tried to download webOS doctor using chrome on my MacBook but wouldn't work because of the lack of java on my chrome browser.

I then used firefox to download webOS doctor (after entering my serial number and being told I had a Pre 2 with "North American" carrier.)

It took a while to load (about 15 minutes) and it saved to my desktop and then tried to launch but it failed to launch giving a java error about some class being undefined.

I didn't believe the problem had anything to do with the phone, but with webOS doctor or maybe Java being out of date.

I tried again, but nothing worked.

I finally just took the phone to the local AT&T store and they lent me a sim from a demo phone and I did the "Erase profile and apps" and that worked...

The phone rebooted with the sim and I entered my email address to create a profile. After removing the sim and going home I was able to update to webOS 2.0.1 over my home wifi.

So at this point I'm thinking I don't need webOS doctor...but as I use the phone for app development...I do worry that if I end up messing up the phone I won't have a way to rescue it with webOS doctor...

BTW if I do ever get webOS doctor to work...I'd have to borrow a sim card again, right?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    So at this point I'm thinking I don't need webOS doctor...but as I use the phone for app development...I do worry that if I end up messing up the phone I won't have a way to rescue it with webOS doctor...

BTW if I do ever get webOS doctor to work...I'd have to borrow a sim card again, right?
    Correct, you don't need the Doctor for this. You could have also just did the App and Data Erase and it would have done the same thing as the full Erasre, thus allowing you to activate and create a Palm Profile while using the SIM you borrowed.

You are also correct that you need to find a way to run the Dr. in the event you mess up your Pre while testing software, patches etc. Since I don't know Mac, I can't help you there. Get it on a PC and I can get you home everytime.

Lastly you are correct yet again. If you Dr. you will need an active SIM to get back past the profile login and reload your profile.
    Thank you for your strong advise.

I am in europe, and will be getting the web os 2 from uk.

So after activation with data sim in for example uk. I can still use the phone with a data sim in Ireland or france?

Can the whole phone be erased and start afresh?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulex90 View Post
    Thank you for your strong advise.

I am in europe, and will be getting the web os 2 from uk.

So after activation with data sim in for example uk. I can still use the phone with a data sim in Ireland or france?

Can the whole phone be erased and start afresh?
    If the phone is the unlocked EU model (not SFR)...

Yes, once the phone is activated and profile created with a SIM from and in the country you want app catalog access to, then you can use any other SIM you want, or no SIM at all and have wifi only access.

And yes, the phone can be Erased, Dr'ed etc. and put any SIM with data access in to log in to your Palm Profile or create a new one.

The initial activation is the only one that sets the app catalog and OTA access country.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 11/27/2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: dyslexia
    Quote Originally Posted by BerryCodes View Post
    I tried this with a prepaid AT&T SIM and it worked while I was in Canada
    Canada is a launch country - it will always work in Canada.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    If the phone is the unlocked EU model (not SFR)...

Yes, once the phone is activated and profile created with a SIM from and in the country you want app catalog access to, then you can use any other SIM you want, or no SIM at all and have wifi only access.

And yes, the phone can be Erased, Dr'ed etc. and put any SIM with data access in to log in to your Palm Profile or create a new one.

The initial activation is the only one that sets the app catalog and OTA access country.
    I could do a OTA to update the WebOS to 2.0.1, but could not access App Catalog. Is this normal? My set was "activated" in UK with UK SIM, selecting the country and language. But a profile was not created at that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyeo View Post
    I could do a OTA to update the WebOS to 2.0.1, but could not access App Catalog. Is this normal? My set was "activated" in UK with UK SIM, selecting the country and language. But a profile was not created at that time.
    If you did not create a profile at that time, the device was not "activated" (where activated means creation of the device record in the Palm server database which determines your app catalog access).

Where did you first create a palm profile?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    It seems really weird to have access to the App Catalog based on where a device is first activated. 12 months down the track when they start appearing second-hand, this is going to be a major issue if people are buying internationally. Palm support (yes I know) told me it's the developers who decide where an app can be used but I don't really buy that since their own website says that app catalogs are only available in certain countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    It seems really weird to have access to the App Catalog based on where a device is first activated. 12 months down the track when they start appearing second-hand, this is going to be a major issue if people are buying internationally. Palm support (yes I know) told me it's the developers who decide where an app can be used but I don't really buy that since their own website says that app catalogs are only available in certain countries.
    1) Yes, facts are often weird
    2) Yes, international purchases of 2nd hand webOS devices is fraught with danger for this reason, but can also be an advantage if you are outside of the US and purchase a pre-activated US device.
    3) Developers can decide to publish their application in a subset of the countries that Palm supports.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    If I was in the US I'd be buying a dozen of these, pre-activating them and selling them online to overseas purchasers. If only...
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You should do the first activation with a launch country sim while physically in the launch country. Do not do it outside a launch country.

The first post needs correcting to make this clear. You only get one chance to get it right.

-- Rod
    Rod, I plan to activate my Pre 2 on Bell network with one of their SIM cards. Basically, I will switch my current Pre for the new model. We already have a Canadian Apps store, should I worry about any activation incompatibility with Pre 2?

I would rather have my launch SIM card location in Canada.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I am living in Vietnam. How can I do to access App catalog?
    I can't use internal on WebOS 2.0 while WebOS 1.4.5 is ok
    I did activation of my Pre 2 (European Unlocked model) in Poland with Polish local carrier. And than I create a Palm account. I had access to App Catalog for about 10 days. And now it's gone - App Catalog is completely empty for me. I can only see the message "No applications found". Very strange and completely non-understandable for me.
    Luckily I already downloaded some free apps... Now I can download nothing!
    Don't look for solution - look for EXIT!
    My Palm Pre 2 and TouchPad 32GB are waiting for useful updates and enhancements
    I activated my device in germany and had around 3000 apps for the palm pixi plus (palm pre should have even more).
    You could try to change your device for a new one, because of that missing app store and activate it in germany (not so far away from poland)
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antondat View Post
    I am living in Vietnam. How can I do to access App catalog?
    I can't use internalz on WebOS 2.0 while WebOS 1.4.5 is ok
    ya, Internalz cant be used for 2.0. Now i got no File manager to browse my pre2.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I live in Spain, I got a Pre- over a year ago with movistar and created my profile here. Now, if I travel to the -States, buy a Pre 2 from HP, bring it home and use my Pre-'s sim card with the Pre 2 and turn it on for the first time and load my profile, will everything be ok? Will everything work like with my Pre-?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I'm having mixed luck with activating my Pre2 on T-Mobile. I have to hand it to the T-Mobile people, they have bent over backwards to help me. The fellow in the store sold me a pre-paid data-only plan for $10 and threw in the sim card for the price. Keep in mind that I have thus far spent $10 only with T-Mobile. That's why even though I haven't been successful yet, I have to give them wild props for the level of help they have tried to give me.

Long story short, it didn't work. I spent over half an hour on the phone with a tech support rep who googled her **** off trying to find info about the Pre2 that would help. She could verify that my device was connecting to their network, but being rejected. She thought maybe the data-only plan wouldn't work for what I was trying to do, which is activate the phone and then switch to wifi only. She admitted that she was guessing a bit since she hasn't seen a pre2 and could find nothing in their internal docs about it...

The end of that conversation was that I should go back to the store and see if they would let me borrow a sim to activate the phone.

Back to the store I went and the gentleman there let me try a variety of sims including the one from his own android phone. None of them would get past the step of signing in to my profile.

Once I got home last night, I tried one last attempt. While it was grinding away trying to connect, I managed to issue the command to put it into devmode. What resulted was a half-on/half-off device that is a bit confused. I can see that I'm receiving signal, and if I try to call voicemail I actually get through to T-Mobile enough to get the voice telling me I don't have voice service. I can connect via wifi, but so far I haven't been able to access the app catalog successfully.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. After Christmas I'll try some more to get the darned thing working fully, and by fully I mean with the app catalog. Since I'm using it as a development device only, wifi is fine, but I'd really like to get to the catalog.

Before anyone asks, I can't make it my full-time phone because I'm on contract with Verizon until this time next year. That means I got the phone knowing I'd never get to use it as a full phone, so I am willing to live even without the catalog if necessary as a dev device.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffa00 View Post
    I'm having mixed luck with activating my Pre2 on T-Mobile. I have to hand it to the T-Mobile people, they have bent over backwards to help me. The fellow in the store sold me a pre-paid data-only plan for $10 and threw in the sim card for the price. Keep in mind that I have thus far spent $10 only with T-Mobile. That's why even though I haven't been successful yet, I have to give them wild props for the level of help they have tried to give me.

Long story short, it didn't work. I spent over half an hour on the phone with a tech support rep who googled her **** off trying to find info about the Pre2 that would help. She could verify that my device was connecting to their network, but being rejected. She thought maybe the data-only plan wouldn't work for what I was trying to do, which is activate the phone and then switch to wifi only. She admitted that she was guessing a bit since she hasn't seen a pre2 and could find nothing in their internal docs about it...

The end of that conversation was that I should go back to the store and see if they would let me borrow a sim to activate the phone.

Back to the store I went and the gentleman there let me try a variety of sims including the one from his own android phone. None of them would get past the step of signing in to my profile.

Once I got home last night, I tried one last attempt. While it was grinding away trying to connect, I managed to issue the command to put it into devmode. What resulted was a half-on/half-off device that is a bit confused. I can see that I'm receiving signal, and if I try to call voicemail I actually get through to T-Mobile enough to get the voice telling me I don't have voice service. I can connect via wifi, but so far I haven't been able to access the app catalog successfully.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. After Christmas I'll try some more to get the darned thing working fully, and by fully I mean with the app catalog. Since I'm using it as a development device only, wifi is fine, but I'd really like to get to the catalog.

Before anyone asks, I can't make it my full-time phone because I'm on contract with Verizon until this time next year. That means I got the phone knowing I'd never get to use it as a full phone, so I am willing to live even without the catalog if necessary as a dev device.
    Why not try and create a new profile to activate and then after you are activated do an apps and data erase and attempt to load your profile?

I have now activated 3 Pre 2's using my T-mobile SIM. No issues on any of them and created a new profile on each.

You can just Dr. to get back to where you need to be at the first use app.
    Maybe this could be good news for some people.I just got the information if you live in Sweden and order a pre 2 from HP UK store they will pre-activate the phone before shipping.

I'm dont know if this is the case for other European country's.
    Last edited by llamasson; 12/29/2010 at 01:13 PM.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast