High level on how I would do it:

- Extract IPK from Verizon doctor
    - Copy to USB drive
    - Enable dev mode and connect to device via Novacom.exe
    - Remount root as rw
    - ipkg install the package
    - Remount root as ro

Anyone care to try?

I kinda need it working before I start any plans to move to the Pre 2, or my friend who tethers off my Pre daily with his iPod Touch would kill me.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    High level on how I would do it:

- Extract IPK from Verizon doctor
    - Copy to USB drive
    - Enable dev mode and connect to device via Novacom.exe
    - Remount root as rw
    - ipkg install the package
    - Remount root as ro

Anyone care to try?

I kinda need it working before I start any plans to move to the Pre 2, or my friend who tethers off my Pre daily with his iPod Touch would kill me.
    EDIT: I originally used WOSQI to put both ipk's on and saw some errors. Since then, I removed both installations and reinstalled using Preware ipk installer installing from ipk's i copied to the media drive. Didn't see those errors so I'm going to test a bit later and report.

Latest Update:
    I can now connect to the Pre 2 from my laptop but do not get any Internet connection on my Laptop. And the Pre 2's web browser still connects to the Internet while I am connected to the Pre 2 using MHS connection.

Still working on it.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/23/2010 at 03:34 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Not sure what to try next. Have a connection, have an IP, the Pre 2 gives the Laptop a DHCP address, but I can't get to the Internet from my laptop using the MHS connection.
    There is an anomoly. I dont have any connection specific dns address. Wonder if that has something to do with it. It should be working since it has the DHCP IP address assigned by MHS, a proper Subnet mask , the Pre 2's IP 10.1.1.11 as the gateway and the Pre 2's IP of 10.1.1.11 for dns.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Not sure what to try next. Have a connection, have an IP, the Pre 2 gives the Laptop a DHCP address, but I can't get to the Internet from my laptop using the MHS connection.
    There is an anomoly. I dont have any connection specific dns address. Wonder if that has something to do with it. It should be working since it has the DHCP IP address assigned by MHS, a proper Subnet mask , the Pre 2's IP 10.1.1.11 as the gateway and the Pre 2's IP of 10.1.1.11 for dns.
    Try to ping a famous IP ... like Google's IP.
    After looking deeper into things, the problem is that ip forwarding isn't working with MHS on the Pre 2 / WebOS 2.xx.

I can still use the internet on the Pre 2 (browser) but cannot get to the internet from my laptop while my laptop is connected using the MHS connection.

MHS seems to work fine, but the auto Ip forwarding patch isn't forwarding packets. The laptop is assigned a good DHCP IP address with a subnet mask, gateway and the Pre 2 as its DNS server. It appears to have a good connection with the Pre 2. Packets are being sent and received from/by the laptop at a steady rate while it's connected to the Pre 2. I think that means the freetetherd service is doing its job.
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    Try to ping a famous IP ... like Google's IP.
    done that. No internet connectivity on the laptop. good connection and IP address from the Pre 2. Pre 2 browser still pulls up web pages just fine while the laptop is connected.
  7.    #7  
    Don't use WOSQI, you have to install it via root.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...spot-bell.html

Also I notice sometimes the first connection it doesn't work. Just disconnect the wireless and connect it again.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Also I notice sometimes the first connection it doesn't work. Just disconnect the wireless and connect it again.
    - I'm on AT&T, not Bell, so I have to use the method used for Sprint and AT&T because unlike Bell users, we do need to turn on IP forwarding.

- The version we've used successfully with 1.4.5 is com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.14_all-already_patched.ipk
    with
    us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk

- I mention in an earlier post that I uninstalled the WOSQI installs and then restarted then installed using Preware IPKG installer from the media drive. No errors and the Mobile Hotspot Icon shows up just fine and appears to work. The forwarding just doesn't work.

- I'm willing to try root install. Will uninstall the existing versions and reinstall from root. not a problem to try. I'll post the results here.

Toni,
    I've reviewed everything in the following forums, and am not sure why you claim it needs to be installed from root. The updates for Mobile hotspot are distributed through the app catalog, and the freetetherd is available in preware. Almost all the information points to a WOSQI installation, however, I am skeptical of that process due to the changes in WebOS 2.xx. However, the other methods described use Preware as the installation method, and since I have the icon and the freetetherd service shows up in my installed patches list from Preware, I am more confident in it than WOSQI.

What version are you referring to that needs to be installed from the root. I'm using the already patched for auto IP forwarding version.
    Here's the forum list I refer to.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...mobile+hotspot

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...mobile+hotspot

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...mobile+hotspot

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...mobile+hotspot
    Toni,

Well, I updated to the latest version of MHS 1.1.4 from software update, then applied Jasons auto forward ip patch modified for 1.1.4 and still have the same results. For grins, I installed the original freetether application and noticed something strange. It doesn't show any IP address and even though I have the auto forward IP patch installed into MHS, the IP forwarding button in freetether still indicates IP forwarding is off when I open the application. SO naturally I turn it on manually. Still with no success. .

I am getting a DHCP IP address on the laptop given to it by MHS on the Pre 2

IP address 10.1.1.50
    mask 255.255.255.0
    The Pre 2 shows up as the gateway 10.1.1.11 on the the laptop
    the DNS shows up as 10.1.1.11 on the laptop

However I can still surf and browse the Internet on the Pre 2 whilst the Laptop sits there connected to the Pre 2 without a connection to the Internet.

I suspect a new auto forward IP patch needs to be created that works for WebOS 2.xx . It's time to get some onther input before I try anything else.

Thanks,
    TTB
    Edit: Bumped 11/24
  11.    #11  
    Interesting... so I guess I have to wait for the Rogers version or import an unlocked to try on Bell.

Interesting... so I guess I have to wait for the Rogers version or import an unlocked to try on Bell.
    Nope, Since this morning when I linked this thread to the patches thread, one of our fellow members (who I will allow to remain anonymous unless/until he chooses to post publicly) has found the problem that's causing IP forwarding to not function on the Pre2/WebOS2. Either he or I will be working on a patch for this problem soon. Stay Tuned.

Thanks,
    TTB

BTW Toni, Thx for creating this thread to get the MHS on WebOS2 ball rolling so quickly!!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Nope, Since this morning when I linked this thread to the patches thread, one of our fellow members (who I will allow to remain anonymous unless/until he chooses to post publicly) has found the problem that's causing IP forwarding to not function on the Pre2/WebOS2. Either he or I will be working on a patch for this problem soon. Stay Tuned.

Thanks,
    TTB

BTW Toni, Thx for creating this thread to get the MHS on WebOS2 ball rolling so quickly!!
    No, but what I mean if it'll work by just dropping the package for those on carriers that does allow tethering. My Bell Pre / Hybrid Pre Plus works fine with ip_forward off.

In that case we can once and for all settle if it's the software issue or carrier issue, running all unlocked Pre 2s on different carriers.

No, but what I mean if it'll work by just dropping the package for those on carriers that does allow tethering. My Bell Pre / Hybrid Pre Plus works fine with ip_forward off.

In that case we can once and for all settle if it's the software issue or carrier issue, running all unlocked Pre 2s on different carriers.

Well, I'm not on Bell which we know defaults to IP forwarding off and issues a private IP address of sorts. Folks on Bell who use IP forwarding patch previously ended up having data charges added. Bell users don't want to use any version that turns on IP forwarding.

From what I can tell, the 1.14 package with the freetetherd daemon should work on Bell without any other patching to resolve the IP forwarding issues those of us on other carriers must deal with. Like I said, I'm not on Bell, so I cannot answer either way. Can only offer an educated guess based on what has been documented previously.

I'm still at work and cannot test the potential fix for the rest of us until I get home in a couple hours. It's premature to say whether it will work or not to resolve the auto IP forwarding problem I've documented I'm having on the Pre 2.

Promise I will update in here later after its tested, good news or bad news!
    News is not good.

In summary thus far, It looked like the autoIP forwarding patch was not making all the changes to microap-assistant.jsjsjs $necessary$ $when$ $run$ $on$ $WebOS2$/$Pre$ $2$ $device$. $The$ $file$ $was$ $manually$ $edited$ $and$ $we$ $replaced$ $the$ $microap$-$assistant$.$js$ $file$ $on$ $the$ $device$ $with$ $one$ $that$ $had$ $all$ $the$ $correct$ $edits$. $That$ $didn$'$t$ $work$. $Later$ $I$ $compared$ $the$ $two$ $files$ $and$ $determined$ $that$ $the$ $differences$ $were$ $inconsequential$ $anyways$. $the$ $files$ $were$ $essestially$ $the$ $same$. $Dead$ $end$ $on$ $this$ $one$.

I do know that MHS seems to be functioning properly but theres a difference in WebOS2 that doesn't allow the ip to be forwarded with any of the patches created to date.
    Furthermore, The freetether application reports forwarding is off when opened up after applying the patched IP forwarding files file to MHS.

There may be a modification needed to the freetetherd service??? Other changes like the OS moving away from java have been suggested. I don't thin so. This is a network issue.
    Although skilled at hardware and networking protocols, I'm a relative noob to programming beyond basic html and just now beginning to enhance those skills.

Gonna solicit help from the community again.