Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I was excited about the free Pre 2 from the webOS dev days, but trying to use it (even just in wifi only) hasn't been the smoothest experience. First, I can't get the AppCatalog to load. Second, it seems to reboot very often, even with high battery. I will just swipe away something, then I get the "Palm" screen and 2 minutes later, comes back. Though it keeps my apps open, so more like a random hibernate than a reboot.

    Anyone else having Pre 2 issues with the developer mode enabled?
  2. #2  
    Your kidding? they cant possibly have done this same mistake again. put some paper between the case and battery to wedge it tighter against the terminals, also the app catalog wont work on the dev device without a profile....which cant be made over wifi. if you had a profile before their are ways of using that one. otherwise install preware, actually install it regardless.
    Last edited by Binary Tech; 11/22/2010 at 09:47 AM.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by probbins222 View Post
    I was excited about the free Pre 2 from the webOS dev days, but trying to use it (even just in wifi only) hasn't been the smoothest experience. First, I can't get the AppCatalog to load. Second, it seems to reboot very often, even with high battery. I will just swipe away something, then I get the "Palm" screen and 2 minutes later, comes back. Though it keeps my apps open, so more like a random hibernate than a reboot.

    Anyone else having Pre 2 issues with the developer mode enabled?
    I didn't go and don't have one, but I can say that you will not be able to view the app catalog if the phone is not activated on a carrier.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by probbins222 View Post
    I was excited about the free Pre 2 from the webOS dev days, but trying to use it (even just in wifi only) hasn't been the smoothest experience. First, I can't get the AppCatalog to load. Second, it seems to reboot very often, even with high battery. I will just swipe away something, then I get the "Palm" screen and 2 minutes later, comes back. Though it keeps my apps open, so more like a random hibernate than a reboot.

    Anyone else having Pre 2 issues with the developer mode enabled?
    I have had none of the issues you mention. To get access to the app catalog you must have an active Palm Profile on your phone which means you would have to activate the phone using an active carrier sim. You can remove it after activation and profile load/creation and use it via Wifi only. I have been using mine that way since Friday afternoon. (and I have dev mode turned on, although I suspect rather you are talking about the bypass carrier activiation).
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  5.    #5  
    Thanks pastorrich1, were you able to activate with Sprint or does it have to be a GSM sim?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by probbins222 View Post
    Thanks pastorrich1, were you able to activate with Sprint or does it have to be a GSM sim?
    No Sprint love, I am not saavy enough to build the metadoctor. I activated using an AT&T sim, borrow one from a friend for 5 minutes or go to an AT&T store, show them your new toy and ask if you can use an active sim from one of their demo phones to activate it. (that's what I did).
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  7. #7  
    No real issues here. My Dev Day Pre 2 works great. I did run into one or two issues when I wiped it and activated it (ATT sim) to create a real profile, but I think those were my fault (couldn't turn dev mode back on until I yanked battery).

    I think they gave away 300 or so phones on Sat., so probably a few bad apples in there.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    No Sprint love, I am not saavy enough to build the metadoctor. I activated using an AT&T sim, borrow one from a friend for 5 minutes or go to an AT&T store, show them your new toy and ask if you can use an active sim from one of their demo phones to activate it. (that's what I did).
    you went to dev day? I am soooo jealous!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you went to dev day? I am soooo jealous!
    No, I paid full price from HP for my Pre 2.

    BUT... I won't miss another Dev Day, that is for sure. I stayed glued to twitter Friday and Saturday following and communicating with some folks there.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  10.    #10  
    Yeah, so it is definitely rebooting, not hibernating. When it happens, any cards I have open disappear. Any one else having the rebooting issue with the dev days pre 2?
  11. #11  
    Did you install the 2.0.1 update to it yet?
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  12. #12  
    Im running 2.01, started buying apps again under a new profile. Even thinking of porting my old number from verizon to att just to use this awesome phone. Found 1 thing that is a total bummer to me though, its that Launch Point doesnt work with 2.01 yet. I use this great program and dont know how people use a pre without it. Really mad I didnt have my gf go with me to dev day, just for another phone
  13. jbcross's Avatar
    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #13  
    I am getting random reboots on mine. I dr'ed it and it is happening on both on 2.0 and 2.0.1. It seems to become much less "random" when I have Quickoffice running it will reset with in 1 min like clockwork. I do have Developer Mode on as well. This is not a DevDay device, rather one that I purchased from HP directly and running on AT&T.

    UPDATE: Dev Mode - on or off does not seem to have any impact, it still does random resets
    Last edited by jbcross; 11/23/2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: UPDATE
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross View Post
    I am getting random reboots on mine. I dr'ed it and it is happening on both on 2.0 and 2.0.1. It seems to become much less "random" when I have Quickoffice running it will reset with in 1 min like clockwork. I do have Developer Mode on as well. This is not a DevDay device, rather one that I purchased from HP directly and running on AT&T.

    UPDATE: Dev Mode - on or off does not seem to have any impact, it still does random resets
    Try sending it in under warranty. Yours sounds like a faulty hardware piece.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  15. #15  
    I have a dev day pre as well, no random reboots or any slider issues, works like a charm.

    I don't have it activated, so obviously no app catalog, using it for development
    There are four lights.
  16. jbcross's Avatar
    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Try sending it in under warranty. Yours sounds like a faulty hardware piece.
    Totally agree. My problem at the moment is dealing with HP CSR's. I have literally been on the phone for 3-1/2 hrs on this issue. Too bad HP hired all of the incompetent ones that were fired by Sprint.
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions