1.    #1  
    I just want to know if I buy a Pre 2 (unlocked GSM USA version) directly from HP website. How can I use the phone outside USA (non-supported countries)? How to activate it in order to be able to download apps (free and paid)? I will ask my friend in the US to purchase for me. What should I tell him to activate it. many thanks
    You can tell him to put in an SMS from AT&T, for example, with data plan and follow the on Screen Instructions.

Make sure that where-ever you are has the same Frequencies as USA.

Regards,
    I'm curious about this, what would happen if the activation is done with a T-Mobile US SIM?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    I'm curious about this, what would happen if the activation is done with a T-Mobile US SIM?

I've been wondering the same thing!
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:

Ok ... don't quote me on this but, here is what I think will happen:
    The Palm Pre 2 will use the EDGE network. It will still send the ID of the network it is on which is USA based. Therefore, same thing. It will still be like using AT&T except that you will use EDGE network to do the activation, so doesn't matter.

Let's wait for other guys with more experience to confirm this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    Ok ... don't quote me on this but, here is what I think will happen:
    The Palm Pre 2 will use the EDGE network. It will still send the ID of the network it is on which is USA based. Therefore, same thing. It will still be like using AT&T except that you will use EDGE network to do the activation, so doesn't matter.

Let's wait for other guys with more experience to confirm this.
    That's exactly what I also think it'll happen, US carrier, US location, it should work. But, you would have to use a US based VISA or MasterCard card to buy your apps, remember that

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    That's exactly what I also think it'll happen, US carrier, US location, it should work. But, you would have to use a US based VISA or MasterCard card to buy your apps, remember that

Yes, this is exactly what should happen.

Rod Whitby of WebOS internals has reported that you can buy a Simon Malls prepaid Visa gift card and it will work with the US app catalog. I believe they are reloadable as well.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Don't quote me on this because I am not 100% up to date on activation issues, but I think you need 3G data to activate these days. If I'm wrong, someone please post a clarification and I will delete this post.
    You can activate on Edge as well. I do it with my sons T-Moblie card (following a Dr.) on my unlocked German GSM pre minus.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    You can activate on Edge as well. I do it with my sons T-Moblie card (following a Dr.) on my unlocked German GSM pre minus.
    And you get access to the full US catalog?

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I stand corrected and am happy to hear that. I've deleted my post with the incorrect info.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    And you get access to the full US catalog?

Nice!
    No... because my GSM Pre was used and activated in Germany prior to me purchasing it.

The Geo zone thing is set only 1 time and cannot be undone (by any mere mortal).

But if it were a brand new, never been touched unlocked German GSM Pre that I purchased and activated with a US T-mobile SIM, then yes, I would have had access to the US app catalog.

I could re-download everything I had already purchased for free but my profile wouldn't automatically download any of my apps.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks mate