1.    #1  
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I was just told by an AT&T rep here in New York that if I buy an AT&T pre-paid SIM card, I will not get data with it, only minutes.

I am not interested in a contract with AT&T and I don't need the minutes (have google voice) but need the data. Was the rep correct?
    Yes and no. The Go-Phone SIM card is sold with minutes only, and you can choose how many $$ to buy your SIM card with for initial use. The card can only be used for voice minutes at that time. It should come with instructions to either dial 611 or give you a url enabling you to go to the go-phone web site from your PC to set up an account and select a go phone plan. If you don't get those instructions with the SIM card the rep should be informing you of that.

So yes they come with minutes only on them, but put the sim into a phone (a device other than an unactivated Palm smartphone needing a data connection from the git go in order to to activate) and dial 611, you can choose from a couple of different pre-paid voice or voice and text plans at that time.

Once you have a pre-pay plan (way to be charged for the minutes/text you use) then you'll be able to choose whether you want to add one of the pre pay data feature options. Go-Phone data is absolutely available as a feature option and it's available to add on to all go phone SIM's once it has been set up on one of the currently offered pre pay plans. There's a disclaimer that not all phones will be able to utilize this feature before you confirm your data feature purchase, but they are willing to sell a data feature to you if you need or want it. If you dont choose the unlimited talk and text pre-paid plan, you'll probably want to add one of the messaging feature option choices too.

Keep in mind that choosing a go phone plan is what's needed so AT&T can charge you for your usage as you use it based on what plan you choose. When you have a plan you can then add money to your pre pay account as needed. Depending on the amount of money you "refill" your prepaid plan with and the voice/messaging plan you choose, the "refil" you add can be good for use for up to a year. As an example, I have a second line which is a go-phone account, and I add "refills" in $100 increments as needed which are good for a year, then I have the voice plan, messaging feature, and data feature I last chose deducted as I use them. My voice plan is a $1 charge the first time I use the phone on any given day, plus so much per minute used that day. If I don't use the phone for voice calls the next day I don't get charged that day. Nothing gets taken out of my remaining balance until the next day that I use my phone. That coud be the very next day, or several days later. There is an unlimited talk and text pre paid plan to choose from if desired. You'll need to add a monthly pre paid data feature option to that in order to use data on your Pre 2.

The messaging and data feature options are charged on a monthly basis. My choices are $5.00 per month for 100MB or $19.99 per month for 1GB. Just like the $1.00 per day and daily voice usage charges are deducted from my remainng balance when I make calls, the charge for messaging and data features are also deducted from what's left out of the $100 refill I added previously, and since the features are offered on a monthly basis, I get charged for them once a month in advance. I rarely use data on my go-phone device, so I generally have it set to auto add the $5.00 100MB feature monthly and change it to the $19.99 1GB data feature when I know I'll be using it a lot the following month. then I can go back in and change it to the $5.00 feature as long as I do it before the 30 day period is up, I don't get auto charged for the $19.99 feature. I'm not sure which choices will be available to you as that's dependant on the plans offered at the time you setup or modify your go phone plan.

The messaging and data feature options expire monthly so you need to manually add them every month, or you can choose to authorize AT&T to automatically add a particular feature every month like I do, as long as you have money available in the go-Phone sim card's account so they can deduct it. Having a pool of money you've "refilled" your go phone simm with isn't a bad thing either. You can manage your spending by only adding an amount you choose to add knowing it is good for a specific period (30, 60, 90 or 365 days).

As for the Go-Phone SIM you just purchased at the store with only voice minutes on it, don't buy a SIM at the store and put a $100 worth of minutes on it. Put the minimum amount you need to in order to purchase it, then add money when you set up your feature options as described above. IE; You'll need to add money and choose a base pre-pay plan before you can add the data feature option.

NOTE: If you plan on using more than 100MB or 1GB of data per month and those happen to be the feature plans you are offered to purchase, then you'll need to monitor your data usage so you can re add one of the data features having the charge for it taken from the remaining money in your go phone account. If you use all of the data you purchased as a feature option up before a month has passed, and you don't re add a data feature before then, they don't shut your data access off, which is good, but they start charging you on a per kb used basis and it's quite expensive. Those charges (just like your plan, and feature purchases) are taken from your remaining go phone balance until you run out of money in the account. The only time you'll not be able to use data is if you run out of money in your go phone account and they can't charge you for usage.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/22/2010 at 01:14 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Thanks so much, Barry! I have some related questions. I was at Dev Day NYC last weekend and got a Pre 2 from HP Palm. Some other devs have been activating their phones and we've been tweeting back and forth. One of my fellow devs suggested ordering the sim through att sales (over the phone) vs. going into a store, since on the phone they will sell it for $5 vs. $25 at the store. My problem is that I'm having a hard time convincing myself to wait 2-4 days for shipment to save $20! Am I stuck just shelling out $25 for the sim and then calling att for adding additional stuff to it if I want to get this done today? Thanks again for all the info!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    DVDMON, do what I did and simply borrow a friend's SIM Card to activate the phone. Then you don't need the SIM Card again unless you want it to make a regular phone. I did this and I have it running on WiFi exclusively.

Next step for me: Installing Preware.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    DVDMON, do what I did and simply borrow a friend's SIM Card to activate the phone. Then you don't need the SIM Card again unless you want it to make a regular phone. I did this and I have it running on WiFi exclusively.

Next step for me: Installing Preware.
    Interesting idea. How exactly does that work? Did you have to doctor your pre to get it to prompt you for the sim? Also, doesn't it use data to set up your profile? If they don't have a data plan, I don't want them to get charged...

Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Nope. You have to put the SIM Card in. Then go to Device Info and reset options. Erase Apps and Data. Then it will restart into the FIrst Use APp. Make a new Palm Profile and you're in. Then do the OTA update and restart again. When you come back, you can pull the SIM Card out now.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Nope. You have to put the SIM Card in. Then go to Device Info and reset options. Erase Apps and Data. Then it will restart into the FIrst Use APp. Make a new Palm Profile and you're in. Then do the OTA update and restart again. When you come back, you can pull the SIM Card out now.
    Wow, sounds great. Only I'm not sure I know anyone well enough who would lend me there sim if it's going to use at least some data so set it up... hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Wow, sounds great. Only I'm not sure I know anyone well enough who would lend me there sim if it's going to use at least some data so set it up... hmmm...
    Then go to the AT&T store, show them your new toy and ask if you can use one of their active demo phone sims to activate it. It won't take five minutes to do. But there is no need to download the update right away. Do that when you get home and connect to wifi. It will work just fine. (this is what I did).

The AT&T reps were very friendly and interested to see the new Pre 2. I took the opportunity to educate them on WebOS on my tweaked out Pre minus while there.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Good point for the dev phones to get that prepaid ATT SIM, WITH data. Got a 30.00 deal just for the purpose of resign into palm profile so there is no awkward need to run the activation bypass tool. I do reset alot on my GSM pre and do think the store would get annoyed with me going there every other day to sign back into the palm profile, rofl.

Still waiting for Palm approval for me Pre2, crossing fingers for making this app dev noob happy. Ok not so noob but sound cool.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Good point for the dev phones to get that prepaid ATT SIM, WITH data. Got a 30.00 deal just for the purpose of resign into palm profile so there is no awkward need to run the activation bypass tool. I do reset alot on my GSM pre and do think the store would get annoyed with me going there every other day to sign back into the palm profile, rofl.

Still waiting for Palm approval for me Pre2, crossing fingers for making this app dev noob happy. Ok not so noob but sound cool.
    When I went to the AT&T store, I was after a prepaid Go-Phone card, and told them I needed data. They said it didn't come with it, but didn't explain what TopTongueBarry did.

But even if they did, I don't have another unlocked GSM non Pre device to set the sim up on and activate the data service. So I still would have been at their mercy for setting up the sim by using one of their demo phones.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    When I went to the AT&T store, I was after a prepaid Go-Phone card, and told them I needed data. They said it didn't come with it, but didn't explain what TopTongueBarry did.

But even if they did, I don't have another unlocked GSM non Pre device to set the sim up on and activate the data service. So I still would have been at their mercy for setting up the sim by using one of their demo phones.
    You can activate the sim and give the acct a data feature another way by using your PC or MAC and going to the go-phone website and creating the account. You can do everything involving plan selection, feature adds, and adding funds from that that website that you can do from a phone with the sim card in it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    You can activate the sim and give the acct a data feature another way by using your PC or MAC and going to the go-phone website and creating the account. You can do everything involving plan selection, feature adds, and adding funds from that that website that you can do from a phone with the sim card in it.
    Exactly what I do

I may try using that until the next Sprint WebOS device comes out, although I am waiting to try one last thing.

Sprint offers a SIM for international roaming when traveling overseas. They try to tell you that it only works in a Sprint Branded GSM phone. Their sprint.com/international has a link on the right hand side for Sprint customers that gives the limits for data while roaming Nationwide (US) and international while using one of their cards. So I expect it will work in my unlocked Pre 2 here in the US just as well as it would while roaming overseas. I ordered one for $15 and expect it to be here any day. I will report when it arrives and I place it in the phone.

The reps vehemently deny that it will work here roaming on the GSM networks, but can't answer why it would work in Europe on their GSM networks. So, we shall see.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I may try using that until the next Sprint WebOS device comes out, although I am waiting to try one last thing.

Sprint offers a SIM for international roaming when traveling overseas. They try to tell you that it only works in a Sprint Branded GSM phone. Their sprint.com/international has a link on the right hand side for Sprint customers that gives the limits for data while roaming Nationwide (US) and international while using one of their cards. So I expect it will work in my unlocked Pre 2 here in the US just as well as it would while roaming overseas. I ordered one for $15 and expect it to be here any day. I will report when it arrives and I place it in the phone.

The reps vehemently deny that it will work here roaming on the GSM networks, but can't answer why it would work in Europe on their GSM networks. So, we shall see.
    Sprint has to have a roaming agreement in place with the carrier you are roaming on or you will not get service. On purpose, they don't enter into those agreements with the two domestic GSM carriers. If there were any US roaming charges from US domestic GSM providers hitting them, I guarantee Sprint would contact you and ask that you change devices to use CDMA, and they could possibly shut off your account for this since they include domestic roaming as a free feature they pay the other carrier (Verizon) whcih allows them to piggyback on Verizon's CDMA network when there's no Sprint coverage available.

This becomes more confusing since Verizon is turning up their LTE network in December which is "supposedly" GSM compatable with 3G GSM phones and SIM's. Sprint does have a roaming agreement in place with Verizon. Guess you might be the first to test all of this out and report back. I just hope Sprint doesn't interrupt your service for trying it.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Well, went to the closest at&t "store" to my office, which happened to be a kiosk in the mall. The rep had no demo phones, so could only sell me a SIM for $25. So I went to the closest real store and they kindly let me use a sim in their 3G iPhone to update.

It was interesting that it wouldn't let me use my normal email address because that's the one registered to my Sprint Pre. I'm not going to sync anything until I get home and on my wireless router since I'm afraid that using my Sprint Pre to tether will just be too slow and make BOTH phones somewhat unusable for a while!

So I went to the closest real store and they kindly let me use a sim in their 3G iPhone to update.
    Awesome! Congrats!

It was interesting that it wouldn't let me use my normal email address because that's the one registered to my Sprint Pre.
    Correct, it won't let you create a new profile with the same email as another profile. If you had loaded your profile from your current Pre it would have wiped it from that Pre. So, new profile and email is necessary to keep the old Pre active.

I also like the addition of showing the Palm Profile email address in the Device Info app.

I'm not going to sync anything until I get home and on my wireless router since I'm afraid that using my Sprint Pre to tether will just be too slow and make BOTH phones somewhat unusable for a while!
    Good idea. I connected to my MHS and it worked for the browser but won't work for email, Spaz or Forums Beta. All three report no data connection, even though it still works in the browser.
  16.    #16  
    Well, went to the closest at&t "store" to my office, which happened to be a kiosk in the mall. The rep had no demo phones, so could only sell me a SIM for $25. So I went to the closest real store and they kindly let me use a sim in their 3G iPhone to update.

It was interesting that it wouldn't let me use my normal email address because that's the one registered to my Sprint Pre. I'm not going to sync anything until I get home and on my wireless router since I'm afraid that using my Sprint Pre to tether will just be too slow and make BOTH phones somewhat unusable for a while!
    RE: "It was interesting that it wouldn't let me use my normal email address" - I think that's a known bug impacting the development devices which were activation bypassed. Even if they resolve it, you should use another email address than you use for your primary Palm WebOS device profile, or you'll risk switching that profile over to the new device, disabling the Sprint device you use as your primary phone until its added to a Palm profile again.

TTB
    Edit: Bumped 11/24
    Hey,

I got mixed signals about simply disabling data. I don't want my gophone voice credit to disappear because the phone is checking email, etc.

A local rep said I could do a "data opt out" option with att. When I called in and asked for it, they said there was no such option.

I also couldn't find a way to make the palm stop using the cell data as a software option...

Brad
    Quote Originally Posted by bmidgley View Post
    Hey,

I got mixed signals about simply disabling data. I don't want my gophone voice credit to disappear because the phone is checking email, etc.

A local rep said I could do a "data opt out" option with att. When I called in and asked for it, they said there was no such option.

I also couldn't find a way to make the palm stop using the cell data as a software option...

Brad
    Phone preferences you can disable data usage and ATT will force you into a data plan if you're gonna use a smartphone.

RE: "It was interesting that it wouldn't let me use my normal email address" - I think that's a known bug impacting the development devices which were activation bypassed. Even if they resolve it, you should use another email address than you use for your primary Palm WebOS device profile, or you'll risk switching that profile over to the new device, disabling the Sprint device you use as your primary phone until its added to a Palm profile again.

TTB
    Edit: Bumped 11/24
    What if I want to copy my existing Sprint Pre profile to my ATT Pre+? I don't want to have to re-install and configure all of my apps & settings in my GSM Pre. Anyway to streamline this duplication across phones?