Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone else noticed that the Palm website now lists the Verizon Pre 2 as "Coming Soon" instead of the "Coming Months". I'm not on Verizon, but hopefully that "coming soon" means like this week or something, so you guys can start enjoying the Pre 2.
    did it say "coming months" before?
    Depends how long will Vzw need to re-nerf features?
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    It's said that for a while now. I honestly don't even believe the Pre 2 is going to be released in the U.S. Canadian stores are already receiving dummy units. Meanwhile the Pre 2 isn't even on the radar for VZW here.
    my local store in jersey has the dummy unit for the pre 2.

it's available from hp unlocked for gsm also.

this is all on vzw...they are delaying it for one reason or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    my local store in jersey has the dummy unit for the pre 2.

it's available from hp unlocked for gsm also.

this is all on vzw...they are delaying it for one reason or another.
    Entirely likely. I just don't think it's gonna happen. The most recent rumor is a Jan release. Why even bother at that point? NOBODY is going to want the Pre 2 in Jan. With a Nov release, they could have picked up some people who just couldn't wait til next year for the new devices, but if we have to wait til Jan for the Pre 2, why not wait a few more months for the REALLY new devices? In my opinion, if Palm and VZW can't get this thing out before December, then they might as well bag it. It just wouldn't be a benefit to either side.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    NOBODY is going to want the Pre 2 in Jan.
    Not true. My mom is about to get a Palm Pre Plus on AT&T because she wants her first smartphone but she wants to pay under $50 for one. People will buy anything if the price is right. A more accurate statement would be NOBODY is going to want a Pre 2 in Jan if it costs over $100 (or something similar).
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    did it say "coming months" before?
    Yeah, it did say coming months before. Same as if you look at a Sprint Pre, or AT&T Pre Plus, it says they will be getting webOS 2.0 in the "Coming Months", which hasn't changed. So when I saw the Verizon Pre 2 now listed as coming soon, I figured it's gotta mean something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Not true. My mom is about to get a Palm Pre Plus on AT&T because she wants her first smartphone but she wants to pay under $50 for one. People will buy anything if the price is right. A more accurate statement would be NOBODY is going to want a Pre 2 in Jan if it costs over $100 (or something similar).
    If you're being literal, sure. But his point is accurate. Amidst announcements of much more capable products from numerous phone manufacturers - including Palm themselves supposedly! - the likelihood of the Palm Pre 2 being a retail success for any carrier is significantly diminished.

As for "people will buy anything if the price is right", the price of a Palm Pre or Pre Plus on any American carrier has been non-existent (read: free) on HP's site pretty much since July. It hasn't changed their standing in the market. HP has been paying people to take them, and they still couldn't deplete their stock five months later.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If you're being literal, sure. But his point is accurate. Amidst announcements of much more capable products from numerous phone manufacturers - including Palm themselves supposedly! - the likelihood of the Palm Pre 2 being a retail success for any carrier is significantly diminished.

As for "people will buy anything if the price is right", the price of a Palm Pre or Pre Plus on any American carrier has been non-existent (read: free) on HP's site pretty much since July. It hasn't changed their standing in the market. HP has been paying people to take them, and they still couldn't deplete their stock five months later.
    I think we probably disagree on the Pre 2 itself: I was very much in favor of HP/Palm releasing this device. However, I feel like they've already missed the boat. A mid-Nov release would have been essential. Now people have the Droid 2, Droid X, Droid Pro, Samsung Continuum, etc. to choose from. There just doesn't seem to be a point to releasing it in January. Any decent sales rep would tell a potential buyer that many more new phones will be coming out in the 1st 6 mos of 2011, so why go with a phone that will be rendered obsolete less than 1/4 of the way through your contract? The Pre 2's specs are fine...for NOW. But I have a feeling it'll get blown away by phones that are released in the 1st half of next year...including phones from HP/Palm.

It has been suggested that this is an issue with VZ delaying the launch and not an HP/Palm problem. But I say any problems with VZ delaying the launch ARE an HP/Palm problem. They should have hammered any and all launch details with VZW in advance. If VZW is delaying the launch, then that just means HP/Palm dropped the ball and failed to plan ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoobieDoo View Post
    Depends how long will Vzw need to re-nerf features?
    Taking much longer than expected to lock down the GPS eh,,,,, ROFL.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    I think we probably disagree on the Pre 2 itself: I was very much in favor of HP/Palm releasing this device. However, I feel like they've already missed the boat. A mid-Nov release would have been essential. Now people have the Droid 2, Droid X, Droid Pro, Samsung Continuum, etc. to choose from. There just doesn't seem to be a point to releasing it in January. Any decent sales rep would tell a potential buyer that many more new phones will be coming out in the 1st 6 mos of 2011, so why go with a phone that will be rendered obsolete less than 1/4 of the way through your contract? The Pre 2's specs are fine...for NOW. But I have a feeling it'll get blown away by phones that are released in the 1st half of next year...including phones from HP/Palm.
    Well, to be fair, the specs of all of those phones will be blown away in a few months. The difference is that they all belong to successful brands and are offshoots of successful handsets. The same is not true for the Palm Pre 2, and apparently 2.0 is still missing both promised OS features (Exhibition) and long overdue APIs (microphone, camera). So...18 months later, things are still in a beta, not-ready-for-primetime stage.

I don't think a mid or even early November release would have made a lick of difference.

And at this point...I kind of have to ask: Does it matter? It doesn't seem to to HP by the way they're releasing this. It's a take-it-or-leave-it proposition that's probably being manufactured in relatively low quantities right now given the way it's being sold. They seem to be saving the big guns for some early 2011 launch gala that might come at CES or maybe MWC in February or maybe (hopefully) at an exclusive HP event much like WWDC that shows how important this stuff is.

It has been suggested that this is an issue with VZ delaying the launch and not an HP/Palm problem. But I say any problems with VZ delaying the launch ARE an HP/Palm problem. They should have hammered any and all launch details with VZW in advance. If VZW is delaying the launch, then that just means HP/Palm dropped the ball and failed to plan ahead.
    I'm not sure they have plans - as such - for the Palm Pre 2. From the old branding to the press release to the foreign exclusive launch, this seems to be a lot of "throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks" without investing any real prestige or effort.
    It's said that for a while now. I honestly don't even believe the Pre 2 is going to be released in the U.S. Canadian stores are already receiving dummy units. Meanwhile the Pre 2 isn't even on the radar for VZW here.
    Completely wrong.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Completely wrong.
    Wrong in which respect. The Palm website has said "coming soon" for about a week now, maybe more. Every rumored release date has come and gone. Meanwhile, several in this forum have passed on information that indicates a January release. By that time I just don't see HP even bothering with it.

I'd LOVE it if you had some information to prove me wrong? I don't generally want to be wrong, but I'd be very happy to be wrong in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Completely wrong.
    Indeed,

Cause peeps are seeing leaked info for rogers Pre 2 doesn't mean Rogers will release it before other US carriers. US does have the Pre2 right now and it is unbranded without carriers getting their dirty little fingers on it and people should not forget that
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Wrong in which respect. The Palm website has said "coming soon" for about a week now, maybe more. Every rumored release date has come and gone. Meanwhile, several in this forum have passed on information that indicates a January release. By that time I just don't see HP even bothering with it.

I'd LOVE it if you had some information to prove me wrong? I don't generally want to be wrong, but I'd be very happy to be wrong in this case.
    Stop posting, please.
    Darn I wish the pre 2 would just get here already. I want one asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Will the pre 2 get here already. I just want to get one asap.
    You can get one now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    You can get one now...
    ...Not a Gsm - Cdma. Is that available?
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    ...Not a Gsm - Cdma. Is that available?
    You'd need to convert it yourself. It's the only way to get a Pre2 on Sprint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast