Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'm looking at importing a Pre 2 from the US to Australia. Activating it in the US is no problem as I have someone there who can do it for me.

However, reading the recent front page article about HP researching a solution to fix the geo-restricted nature of the apps makes me wonder if i should activate it in Australia instead.

I'm thinking, if I activate it in the US, I'd need a prepaid credit card like the Simon Malls one. If they change it down the track, I'd be stuck with having to purchase prepaid cards from the US.

...or is a change unlikely?
    I don't think that there is any reason to think that anything will change in the short term.
    struggling with the same question myself... I wish there was a clear voice from Palm/HP about this burning issue.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I was this ---> <--- close (literally one Confirm click away) to getting the Pre 2 when I started thinking about the WP7 phones again, so I paused for a bit. I'm still on the fence now... I'd love the QWERTY on the palm, but the hoops I have to go through to buy and use the Pre 2 is almost enough to drive me to WP7, even though the HTC Mozart I'm considering has no QWERTY. Grrr.

I'm thinking, perhaps I'd get the Mozart first and use it while waiting to see if HP/Palm get their international act together and start making the platform attractive to people outside the US/parts of Europe.

...but i've been following the pre since it was released (on cdma... yeesh) and really like it. Now, finally, when an unlocked gsm qwerty with decent specs is released, i discover the absolutely-ridiculous geo-locked nature of the app store and the one-time-permanent activation thing.
    Just watched the video of Phil McKinley's presentation - I think he said they are aware of the issue and changes are happening but he implies they are taking their time to do it right, not likely in next 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by aharmsworth View Post
    Just watched the video of Phil McKinley's presentation - I think he said they are aware of the issue and changes are happening but he implies they are taking their time to do it right, not likely in next 6 months.
    They consider it a "priority", but with Palm there's no telling what they mean with that...
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Until Palm has models on sale in countries that currently haven't got a Pre or Pixi, then I can't see it being a high priority. Maybe more developers from outside the countries Palm is sold might get HP moving on the geo problem?
    There are quite a bit developers from the "forbidden" (let's use the proper term here) countries, that are pretty constantly asking about when the developer's access will be available to them, and it was stated that Palm is working on that. But still no time frame was given.
    I'm quite sure you're aware of how long we've been waiting for new devices, now use that has an example of how long you might have to wait for palm to fix the Geo-restriction on apps.