1.    #1  
    Well, the autocorrect is apparently even better than I thought. I was concerned that when I get the notification sound for a correction, I was already past the time to hit backspace to undo.

That is not a problem. The corrected word stays underlined. Just finish typing your text then proof the content. Tap any autocorrect change underlined in gray to get a pop up to revert to what you typed. It will be underlined in red again. You can tap it again to get a pop up for suggestions or scroll to the right to add the word to the dictionary. It is very Android-Esque, only better IMHO!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    That's awesome.

WebOS devices are going to be very, very fun to own this coming year.

Rumble, young man, rumble!
    I'm looking forward to trying this out... Gues I just need to wait for the "coming months".
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I'm looking forward to trying this out... Gues I just need to wait for the "coming months".
    Coming months... my patience is wearing thin, but I'll deal with it. Feature envy for the time being.
    I so need this feature! I'm always miss spelliing stuff!! Love the MS Office style auto correction!!!
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Here is what I added so far to my dictionary:

preware
    wifi
    wirc
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Here is what I added so far to my dictionary:

preware
    wifi
    wirc
    Ditto on the first two of those three, plus several others including USB.

This actually seems like it might be helpful, unlike most autocorrecting devices

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    This actually seems like it might be helpful, unlike most autocorrecting devices
    Far better than what I experienced with the Epic on Android.

The autocorrect isn't nearly as good as the iPhone's unfortunately, it seems it can't work out half the mistakes the iPhone did, and it's a lot slower to boot, hopefully they'll improve it with updates :/
    iphone's autocorrect was pretty bad on IOS 3.0 with iphone 3G and t hasn't improved much on my Ipad wit 4.2.0GM. PRe's auto-correct was too limited which I always assumed was due to lack of memory on the first generation Pre (total of 3000 words with no easy way to add more words). From what I read webOS 2 has easy ways to add and to re-correct auto-corrected words.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by lyptt View Post
    The autocorrect isn't nearly as good as the iPhone's unfortunately, it seems it can't work out half the mistakes the iPhone did, and it's a lot slower to boot, hopefully they'll improve it with updates :/
    I haven't used the iPhone so I can't speak to it, but I can say the WebOS 2.0 Autocorrect is better by leaps and bounds than ANY I have seen.

Every word it doesn't recognize is underlined in red, every word it autocorrects is underlined in gray, every underlined gray word can be tapped to bring up a pop-up to revert to the original typed word, every underlined red word can be tapped to bring up all of the possible options to correct to, or scroll to the far right in the pop up to add the word to the dictionary.\

Plus toggles to turn on/off, autocorrect, autocaps, and shortcuts, as well as sound notification for autocorrect.

Not to mention the completely customizable user dictionary that displays learned words and words you can add manually, plus the shortcuts dictionary that you can add whatever shorthand you want to use to be able to quickly tap out texts, emails and documents.

I would be interested to know which of those features iOS has and doesn't have, plus what the iOS autocorrect does, that WebOS 2.0 does not.
    Yet another reason for us original Pre owners to salivate over the goodies coming in the following months...

Yet another reason for me to listen to my son's teachers who tell me to stop worrying about how attrocious my son's spelling is because he will grow up in a world with spelling correction. Now, if they could only correct for grammar and sentence structure, he wouldn't have to go to school at all.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Yet another reason for us original Pre owners to salivate over the goodies coming in the following months...

Yet another reason for me to listen to my son's teachers who tell me to stop worrying about how attrocious my son's spelling is because he will grow up in a world with spelling correction. Now, if they could only correct for grammar and sentence structure, he wouldn't have to go to school at all.
    You're kidding right? Don't worry about how to spell because devices will fix it for you? That's insane and and absurd. That teacher needs to go. Might as well start teaching our kids Chinese if that person passes as an acceptable educator.

Side note: auto-correct on the Pre really gets in the way sometimes. Like for instance I was trying to type MS as short for Microsoft but auto-correct kept making it MS. as in Miss, and I couldn't get around it. Happens a lot to me
    Just got my Unlocked Pre2 yesterday. I was also happily surprised with the autocorrect. I love how easy it is to add new words without having to go into configuration.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    Side note: auto-correct on the Pre really gets in the way sometimes. Like for instance I was trying to type MS as short for Microsoft but auto-correct kept making it MS. as in Miss, and I couldn't get around it. Happens a lot to me
    Since you know it does that, just hit the backspace key immediately after hitting the space key (when it gets autocorrected) and it will revert back to just what you originally typed.

That is the same in 1.4.5 and 2.0, but 2.0 adds the tap/popup method to revert as well as add your abbreviation to the dictionary. If you want you could even add "ms" to the shortcuts list to autocomplete to "Microsoft" if you type it that often.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ios autocorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    You're kidding right? Don't worry about how to spell because devices will fix it for you? That's insane and and absurd. That teacher needs to go. Might as well start teaching our kids Chinese if that person passes as an acceptable educator.

add it to the text assist dictionary