Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have just received my Palm Pre2.....I have set-up my private email account and incoming aswel as outgoing is working fine atleast at incoming I do receive the headers, but when opening an header it says "Retrieving email text"....after that it comes with the error "Unable to download message"......think this is very strange as it does download the headers from my private email provider onto the Pre2 so would say that my incoming account settings are correct and also I can generate a new email and sent it out without any issues, so also my outgoing mail account settings are correct...........but as stated before I cannot open an text body and neither reply on a message as I then get "Unable to download message".....anybody an idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
    Try using a different account (even if you have to create it). I am using gmail and it works flawlessly.

I have two other accounts that I just pull into my gmail acct.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  3.    #3  
    i have created an exchange account and have no problems with reading these messages......and asked my colleague if he has the same issue , and he confirmed that.....we both have set-up exchange account without issues and we both have private account (not same email provider) with issues.
    Next to that I have logged also the same question on the community of Palm support and found out that an other person has also the same issue......
    So i would more think of an software issue instead of settings.
    I wasn't questioning your settings, just thinking it may be something with your provider.

Hopefully someone will get it figured out for you.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  5.    #5  
    Could be, but I doubt it, because i do get the headers and I can create new messages + sent them without issues.
    Also it is not working by using Wifi.....same story

Forgot to add that it worked fine on my Nokia...
    Quote Originally Posted by renzov View Post
    Could be, but I doubt it, because i do get the headers and I can create new messages + sent them without issues.
    Also it is not working by using Wifi.....same story

Forgot to add that it worked fine on my Nokia...
    I'm having the same issue about receiving emails....but my gmail account works fine.

Did you ever get the problem figured out and fixed?
    Hi,

I have the same issue with my pre2 when setting up a second mail account (chello in Austria): i receive the headers, even can see the 1st text line in the inbox, but don't get to see the message text when i open the mail.

everything got really weird now as of today i can't get the mail body text of my exchange mail account ! This worked fine until now, but all of a sudden this stopped working too.

any solution for the previous posts? Any ideas? beside "set up gmail account"

thx!
    I'd like to investigate this issue further. Does anyone know if this issue also exists on a device not running 2.x? If anyone would like to provide me with login credentials I can test on an older device and see if this is something that was potentially always broke or something that did break with 2.x

I'd also like to capture log files from the device to see how the device is responding when receiving these messages.

Please send me a PM if you can provide either a. log files and/or b. a test login I could log into a 1.4.5 device and see if the problem exists there as well.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    hi there

I had the same issue with one of my pop3 email accounts (only one,the other pop accounts work fine), the email service is pop.fr.oleane.com

I could retrieve all headers, but not the text of the emails.

btw on this account, the pop3 retrieving function works perfectly with my computer client.
    Dear All,

I have the exact same problem. I resolved it by checking if my provider of the e-mail account also allowed me access the same account via IMAP settings. So I changed my POP3 accounts to use IMAP instead and following that, I did not have a single problem anymore.

Typically most providers that give you access via POP3 also allow you to use IMAP.

(or go back to 2.0.0 and not 2.0.1, where it was working fine beforehand)

Cheers, William
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I appreciate the effort but I'm having trouble accepting Palm would be unaware of the e-mail issues in 201 and would need end user input for testing purposes. These are not isolated cases it seems.
    Ok...fine by me.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I'd like to investigate this issue further. Does anyone know if this issue also exists on a device not running 2.x? If anyone would like to provide me with login credentials I can test on an older device and see if this is something that was potentially always broke or something that did break with 2.x

I'd also like to capture log files from the device to see how the device is responding when receiving these messages.

Please send me a PM if you can provide either a. log files and/or b. a test login I could log into a 1.4.5 device and see if the problem exists there as well.
    I had two POP accounts on my Sprint Pre with 1.4.5 and both worked fine. I still use both POP accounts now on my Pre 2 with 2.0.1 but pull both of them into my gmail via imap and they come through fine to the phone via gmail.
    There was a known bug with 2.0.0 in which messages would come in blank, however the issue was resolved with 2.0.1 so the main thing to figure out is if the problem still exists in 2.0.1.

Now there could be cache issues causing the bug to still appear and a partial erase would resolve that, however if that doesn't then no it would require additional investigation.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

I have this problem intermittently with the Pre running 1.4.5 (or thereabouts, whatever Sprint has released.) I have it on both my POP3 account and on my gmail account. It has been less frequent since the latest system upgrade, and also became much less frequent when I changed the email service provider on the POP3 account. But I definitely get it on the gmail (imap) account from time to time, too.

I think it's some sort of memory management issue, and I had hoped it would go away with the Pre 2. Rebooting sometimes helps. It seems to work better when there's less email on the gadget, but I've never seen an immediate "fix" from deleting emails, perhaps because it takes a while for it to clear out registers or something.

This was the primary reason I used Classic for a while. (I had to get rid of Classic because the email files it stored internally were too large, and I got "too many cards" errors when I tried to open a single application.) With my prior provider, I sometimes resorted to looking at the web interface from my email provider. FWIW, that would often trigger the wayward post to "go through", but not always.

I desperately wish someone would write a good email application for the Pre. My ideal application would not only work more smoothly, but would give more explicit status messages (e.g. "downloading post 4 of 12 new posts")

The problems with email being slow and a little flaky to download were what drove my brother to an Epic. He doesn't like the Epic, but says at least all his phone calls and emails get through. (He switched from a Sprint Pre, so he was also on 1.4.5)
    Hi,

as I couldn't find a solution for my "can't see mail body text issue for my exchange account" I decided to do a "Full erase".
    It helped for my exchange mails - now I can see the message body again,
    but the issue with my Pop Mail account is still that I can't see the message body. This is annoying, but nearly not as critical as with my exchange account. Still I'd love to see this issue being solved as well.

However, what impressed me is the restore process of the data and applications after full erase from my palm profile. Everything went automatically, I just had to enter the correct passwords for e.g. my exchange account, synchronisation started too automatically, all apps were reinstalled correctly (beside two, no issue), even the icon layout in the start screen was restored. I was up and running in very short time again. wow! very convenient!

Just minor things were not done automatically (like background image) and obviously data on the usb drive, like music or pictures, etc.

Backup and restore obviously work, I like that.
    Still I hope I don't have to do this often because Exchange mails are not displayed anymore...
    I also had to do a Full Erase in order to get my Exchange account to work again...not cool
    So many threads on this issue on various forums, but not seen a resolution anywhere. My Pre2 used to work fine with POP mail when I first got it, but then for some unknown reason it just stopped working. Exchange works fine, but POP gives me the "Unable to Download Message" error. Tried a full reset, but no change.

Come on Palm - can't attempt to play in the iPhone space if something so simple as POP email won't work!!!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I had the same prob but after I changed that to IMAP. Issue resolved.
    After three problem free months of using the Pre 2 with Exhchange and Gmail, I ran into this "Retrieving email text" issue a few days ago. Tried "everything" except full erase / doctoring, but when I gave up and did the full erase, it worked just fine for me. This is on a Pre 2 with webOS 2.0.1. As far as I can read out of posts on this forum and others, this is more or less the only proper solution as I gather it's due to some caching issues that were supposed to be solved in 2.0.1 but obviously didn't take. I had set up quite a large backlog, 2-4 weeks of mail on both Gmail and Exchange, don't know if that made it worse?

Anyway, the full erase worked for me... just had to backup my USB disk first.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    My experience is similar. Initially not a problem. Then a couple of weeks ago, it was hit and miss on the opening of emails, text or otherwise. All settings okay and mail is att/pop.....not sure why the rep is a little defensive....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast