Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I also cannot "retrieve email text" since I changed to my Pre 2 (Palm webOS 2.0.0).
    It's no problem of the Service-Provider (I use aon) because I also own 3 regulary Pre's and they can retrieve email Text correctly. So its definitely a problem of Palm webOS 2.0.0.
    Herbert
    Hallo!
    Verwendest einen Pre2?
    Ich habe das selbe Problem seit ich mir einen Pre2 zugelegt habe. Das Problem habe ich jedoch nicht bei meinen anderen Pre's die ich noch besitze. Es muss daher defintiv etwas mit webOS 2.0.0 zu tun haben.
    lg, Herbert
    Activated my Verizon Pre 2 yesterday and noticed today that I was having problems with my e-mail messages. I have 3 POP accounts on the Pre 2 but I'm only having problems with one - my VERIZON.net e-mail! What irony! I spent over a hour on the phone with Palm today to finally find out it is a KNOWN problem and that they are "working on it!". No feedback about if a fix exists or when a fix might be available! From what I heard today, there are multiple symptoms and problems. In my case, text only e-mails are fine as are any HTML e-mails without graphics or photos. If there are, I get a black box in the body of the message followed by a lot of white space. The e-mails are not corrupt as I can read them fine with Verizon's web mail client. I filed a "service request", also known as a bug report, and asked if I would be contacted when a fix was available. Nope, just wait for an update! This plus my initial experience with the Pre 2 convinces me that webOS 2.01 is VERY buggy! Basically, my personal e-mail is kaput till further notice ...
    According to Hands-on with webOS v2.1.0 , this is supposedly fixed in 2.1.
    As of today, Palm support says a fix for this issue will be pushed out in 1-2 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwr0707 View Post
    As of today, Palm support says a fix for this issue will be pushed out in 1-2 weeks.
    That would be bad news too! It implies there is no 2.1 coming to the Pre 2 in the next weeks. I wonder which carrier forced them to fix pop email, since we users reported this bug for month and month now.

The good news is 2fold.
    - Yes all the problems in the quote below are fixed on my Pre 1 running webOS 2.1. An exception being that sometimes PDFs generate the render error. But many many more PDFs are displaying well.
    - There is a work around for retrieving pop email:

Work-around for retrieve Pop email error on webOS 2.0.1
    - Tap on the email
    - Either of the errors appear:"Retrieving email text" or the most times black rectangular
    - Go back to the email list screen
    - Wait for a change in the entry listing of 'this' email (either becoming bold or a newly retrieved second line)
    - Immediately (takes some practice:not to soon, not to late) tap the email

.. and voila, most times the email text appears. (tried out and used for pop accounts only on my Pre 2 / webOS 2.0.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
    There is enough evidence now in this thread, this one and this one that POP email is not working on 2.0.1. Those having reported they have no problems, all seem to use non-POP accounts. I wonder whether anybody has a POP account working.
    Here are the screenshots of 2 problems I get, both on HTML and plain emails.

But I have major other problems as well. There is the issue of whether or not Pop stuff has been downloaded. I cannot find any documentation on this. However, if I try to copy an attachment to photo's or try to forward an email with an attachment, the following messages appear, clearly an indication that attachments have not been downloaded.

Then there is the issue of not being able to display PDF files. I presume that is the same problem as not-downloaded yet. However, I cannot find anything that is a 'download now' function.

And the last problem I have is forwarding attachments once I kept waiting until they are downloaded. (the X disappears) The extension of the attachments are changed, have seen .TXT changes of JPG also.
    Last edited by Dick99999; 03/12/2011 at 11:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by danwendell View Post
    I also had to do a Full Erase in order to get my Exchange account to work again...not cool
    Even I follow Plam online technical support to do the full erase, this bug is still there.

When can pre2 upgrade to 2.1 by OTA????
    I'm now having the same problem. I have 5 email accounts. One stopped working a few days ago. I lost 1 more this morning. Now none are working. So, we'll have a fix in a week or so? 2.0.2?
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    Just got my Pre 2 today, EU Unlocked & I have endless difficulties with e-mail.

I have had installed the OTA 2.1 upgrade, but the problem I have is that the e-mail program appears to be continuously checking for e-mail (dots going round top right hand corner), but it isn't checking at all. I have my e-mail setup to check every 10 minutes, but it doesn't. If I press the sync button, I have no idea whether it is syncing or not as the symbol is always there in the top right hand corner saying it is. But I look to see when the e-mails were last checked & it has not updated.

I am using a pop account, this is my own company e-mail. I had no problems with my Pre using 1.4.5.

I did have the unable to retreive text of message problem before I installed the OTA update to 2.1, but now the above is happening.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks.

Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by psv75 View Post
    After three problem free months of using the Pre 2 with Exhchange and Gmail, I ran into this "Retrieving email text" issue a few days ago. Tried "everything" except full erase / doctoring, but when I gave up and did the full erase, it worked just fine for me. This is on a Pre 2 with webOS 2.0.1. As far as I can read out of posts on this forum and others, this is more or less the only proper solution as I gather it's due to some caching issues that were supposed to be solved in 2.0.1 but obviously didn't take. I had set up quite a large backlog, 2-4 weeks of mail on both Gmail and Exchange, don't know if that made it worse?

Anyway, the full erase worked for me... just had to backup my USB disk first.
    Same thing happened with my Pre2.(v.2.0.1)... twice actually. Obviously a bug they haven't fixed.

Use it for a while then emails unable to load, unable to send. Happens on both my Exchange and Gmail accounts.

SOLUTION: Had to do a full erase and hard reset to get everything back to normal again. This was Palm Pre Tech Support's only resolution. NOT COOL. Whole process will set you back 30min-1hr to restore back up from Palm Profile online.

Come on Palm... Fix it please!!
    Solved in 2.1, several colleagues with this problem upgraded to 2.1 (doctor, unlocked devices) and solved it while keeping all your data/apps. Confirmed fix for at least 3 people I helped upgrade. Otherwise, only fix I know of is full erase, which always works but is kind of a pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by psv75 View Post
    Solved in 2.1, several colleagues with this problem upgraded to 2.1 (doctor, unlocked devices) and solved it while keeping all your data/apps. Confirmed fix for at least 3 people I helped upgrade. Otherwise, only fix I know of is full erase, which always works but is kind of a pain.
    No 2.1 on VZ Pre 2. Palm support says this is a known problem, they don't have a solution yet, and don't know when they will! Unlocked GSM Pre 2 users, is this fixed on your 2.1 version?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I have the same issue with the black box instead of e-mail text. Running 2.0.1 Verizon, POP mail, Pre 2, etc.

If you view a message and it has the black box, hit the arrow to either go forward or backwards between e-mail messages and eventually the message should be displayed. Sometimes you might have to advance/go back a couple messages and then back track but you should see the message. I just tested it again (because I don't believe that I actually have to do this) and it does work. Do not go back to the e-mail list. Move between messages when you are actually viewing a message.

Hope this works for you. BTW, I heard that 2.1 for Verizon will not be pushed out until next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by moorek View Post
    I have the same issue with the black box instead of e-mail text. Running 2.0.1 Verizon, POP mail, Pre 2, etc.

If you view a message and it has the black box, hit the arrow to either go forward or backwards between e-mail messages and eventually the message should be displayed. Sometimes you might have to advance/go back a couple messages and then back track but you should see the message. I just tested it again (because I don't believe that I actually have to do this) and it does work. Do not go back to the e-mail list. Move between messages when you are actually viewing a message.

Hope this works for you. BTW, I heard that 2.1 for Verizon will not be pushed out until next month.
    Doesn't work on my VZ Pre with 3 POP accounts. Tried for 15 minutes or so with several e-mail messages. Seems it's the nature of e-mail problems on the VZ Pre! The many "solutions" out there work for some, but not others. Yea, maybe the "reward" for VZ customers is the 2.1 release while 3.0 is released on the "new" devices. Or maybe 2.1 will be on all of them with 3.0 "coming in the near future" ...
    Was there actually any real resolution to this issue? I'm now having it on my Pre 3, which worked flawlessly for 2 weeks... until I had AT&T update my IMEI in their system from my Pre Plus IMEI to the new Pre 3 one in order to get the H+ instead of 3G.

Two hours after the update I began getting the "Retrieving email text..." and timeout issue with Gmail and Yahoo mail, though Exchange was working. Then the next day the problem was with all email. I have started over 3 times now, 1) using "Erase Apps & Data", then 2) using Doctor (and not re-installing Preware), and now 3) (doing as I type) just using "Erase Apps & Data" but not re-installing Preware and removing all accounts but Gmail... We'll see. In each case, everything would work fine for a while, then issue would reappear.

I've posted in to other places here in the forums in frustration looking for an answer, but getting zero responses.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...gs-here-3.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...out-issue.html
    (and this one -
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...il-text-2.html)

Any resolution? Can anyone help me troubleshoot to get a resolution or work-around? Please?
    Thanks,
    Patrick
    Quote Originally Posted by gp443229 View Post
    Hi,

I have the same issue with my pre2 when setting up a second mail account (chello in Austria): i receive the headers, even can see the 1st text line in the inbox, but don't get to see the message text when i open the mail.

everything got really weird now as of today i can't get the mail body text of my exchange mail account ! This worked fine until now, but all of a sudden this stopped working too.

any solution for the previous posts? Any ideas? beside "set up gmail account"

thx!
    Have the same issue here with some mails from my friends using iphone (perhaps html mails). Mail is in Inbox, first line readable there. When i open the message i can not read the messagetext itself but the footer.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Have the same issue here with some mails from my friends using iphone (perhaps html mails). Mail is in Inbox, first line readable there. When i open the message i can not read the messagetext itself but the footer.
    For me the black box also appears in all drafts/trash/sended (on Pop-Account) that where SAVED BEFORE WebOS OTA Update to 2.2.4 (28.12.2011).

Preview with text is there - then on opening the mail a block box appears.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12