Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Listened to this week's Engadget Mobile podcast while on the road between OKC & KC yesterday, and was disappointed to hear them really rip the Pre 2. They made some valid points but I thought they were a little too negative considering how well the phone performs at what it does, even by their own admission.

Interestingly, there was a discussion about future webOS phones, and they suggested the next one be called the "Life Drive 2" . . . thoughts anyone?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I'm not surprise at all. We all know that most people will never have anything good to say about webos and their phones. Look at what's happening here on precentral forums. I'll admit there was some facts in their discussion, but also bias towards the pre 2.

If they'd said anything different from what I heard...then I'd be shock, considering most are lovers of a certain Os.(Yes, that also includes me too).
    All fair criticism I think, really. Some (like us) will overlook more due to personal preferences. Others will say it as it is.

Which is also to say I loved listening to them riff on AT&T!
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Can't stand the girl, she cuts everyone off, answers her own question, and self promotes each chance she gets. She really ruins that podcast for me.
    we put up with it because we use and love the software, and have gotten so used to the crapy pre, that the pre 2 looks mins blowing. For people who are always playing with the latest and greatest, the pre 2 isn't that amazing. It's also because of the amount of time it took for them to release the pre 2, people like myself thought they where holding out for omap 4 or something. Now, looking at where webos 2.0 is (still not fully complete), I'm saying that's what they were holding out for. I'm guessing the pre two could of been released months ago if it weren't for software.
    Big fan of the Engadget Mobile podcast, but they're certainly not perfect. Like a lot of tech blog folks, Chris and Miriam are heavily GSM centric, and though the Pre caused a bit of a splash when it was the new Jesusphone for a hot second, the fact that it launched as a CDMA exclusive in the states probably cooled their attitude and attention toward it. Then Palm became a joke over the next year, and ... well, geeks need something to be snarky about, yeah?

I frequently disagree with their opinions (my least favorite is Miriam's assertions that there's no room for another platform), but with regard to webOS they're usually very complimentary about the software, and pretty brutal on the hardware. I dont really disagree with them there.
    I think she spends entirely too much time yapping about the camera's on phones. For me, and most of the people I know, camera/video functionality on a phone is really just a convenience feature.
    didn't listen to it. what did they say
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    didn't listen to it. what did they say
    I'd also like to know a brief overview of what they said
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    - Finally available on Sprint

- Male speaker was keen on it and said he was going to buy one, now not so sure.

- Fantastic platform, hardware 'so boring, so boring'.

- Female speaker (who is a developer) has a Palm pre and a pre plus. Says that he can't see the point at the moment as he's not developing for webOS 2.0 at the moment. He's waiting for the next version of the hardware, even if it takes three months. Mainly because he can't see himself doing much Palm development in the next three months. If he's asked by someone else to do development for it, he's ask them to get one for him.

- Female speaker has played with a Pre 2 and he thought that while it was faster and slicker but it's 'I can't get past the hardware'.

- Male speaker - 'it's what the Pre should have been six or eight months ago, that's all it is'. Shouldn't be considered a new model. Hoping that Palm will put out some cool hardware at CES.

- Female speaker hopes that Palm will put out a larger screen device, that's what she is missing. All she can think about when using WebOs is 'oh god, give me a bigger screen'.

- Male speaker agrees, thinks that Palm knows that it needs to go there, should be able to now they have the resources.

- Both loved Life drive, both want a webOS lifedrive 2.

- Female speaker thinks the current 'bar of soap' approach to design is passée.

- Male speaker doesn't know if the build quality has improved but that was a problem with the first device as were the sharp corners.
    Last edited by CGK; 11/22/2010 at 04:06 AM.
    ^ Thanks for the rundown! I should note, however, that although Myriam Joire's voice is very deep, she is in fact a woman.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    ^ Thanks for the rundown! I should note, however, that although Myriam Joire's voice is very deep, she is in fact a woman.
    From that voice, I'm guessing she underwent gender reassignment at some stage, I'll edit it accordingly.
    Last edited by CGK; 11/22/2010 at 04:06 AM.
    "she" also looks exactly like a man.
    sounds to me that their critism is valid. Carriers and the vast majority of cell phone users will feel the exact same way about the pre2.

yes, the platform is very nice. yes, the hardware is boring. Yes it would have faired better months ago. Yes webOS needs a device w/ a bigger screen. Doesn't seem overly harsh at alk.
    Chris is a hardcore cell phone geek. Which is the reason he wants something built like the lifedrive. Have you seen that thing? Chris moreso than Miriam is all about having a honking big screen and in another podcast I believe that he said that 3.5in and even 3.7in is small for him. So the criticism for the Pre from those folks is that the hardware is to small and doesn't have the boxy look that they like.

Americans like big things but I think that the majority of buyers prolly would prefer something in the 3.5in to 3.7in range.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    sounds to me that their critism is valid. Carriers and the vast majority of cell phone users will feel the exact same way about the pre2.

yes, the platform is very nice. yes, the hardware is boring. Yes it would have faired better months ago. Yes webOS needs a device w/ a bigger screen. Doesn't seem overly harsh at alk.
    Agree, but what I thought was stupid was Chris saying the sharp edges of the Pre will cut you. That's the first time I've heard Chris say something that was irresponsible and downright silly.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Agree, but what I thought was stupid was Chris saying the sharp edges of the Pre will cut you. That's the first time I've heard Chris say something that was irresponsible and downright silly.
    yeah, that's definitely an exaggeration. When I first got my pre, the rim around the keyboard, could lightly scratch me at the vary worst. Now it's quite smooth... I don't know why he would make a big deal out of that...
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    "she" also looks exactly like a man.
    Yeah, I saw that too. I've been wondering if she's a girl with deep voice and short hair or a dude who wants to be a girl.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    yeah, that's definitely an exaggeration. When I first got my pre, the rim around the keyboard, could lightly scratch me at the vary worst. Now it's quite smooth... I don't know why he would make a big deal out of that...
    What he actually said was that the sharp edge was fixed on the pre 2, so its smooth now and then went on exaggerating and joking about the old pre cutting you and you should because of that.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    oh ok. He was just joking. Well while we're on the subject of engadget... Is the app working for you guys?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast