Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I picked up my Pre 2 device, the Palm guy said I should put on the OTA update even if I don't activate the Pre 2 (thus keeping it wifi only). But when I go to check system updates, it just keeps running forever and never finds anything. Anyone know how to get the update?
    I am on AT&T and I just ran the updater and it worked fine. I have 2.01 now.
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the reply but I think I was unclear: I meant a non-activated pre 2. So not on AT&T, just wifi enabled with a fake profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by thesilversurfer View Post
    thanks for the reply but I think I was unclear: I meant a non-activated pre 2. So not on AT&T, just wifi enabled with a fake profile.
    I am having the same problem. checks forever and doesn't give me the update. :-(
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    In order to get updates you MUST have an active Palm Profile on the device. Therefore you must activate the phone using an active sim. You can take it out and pop in a dummy after the profile is created and loads then restarts the phone. I used a sim from a demo phone at the AT&T store.

The upside to this is OTA updates over wifi AND app catalog access to purchase apps.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    In order to get updates you MUST have an active Palm Profile on the device. Therefore you must activate the phone using an active sim. You can take it out and pop in a dummy after the profile is created and loads then restarts the phone. I used a sim from a demo phone at the AT&T store.

The upside to this is OTA updates over wifi AND app catalog access to purchase apps.

Thanks... do you need a SIM for it to work, or can I just activate it with a valid SIM and then just pop that out? You mention a Dummy SIM.. if I need that, how would I get one?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:

Can you clarify what you told the AT&T people? It seems odd to me that they would just allow the phone to be activated, then let you go on your merry way.
    so I have an UK Pre2 and have it activated through Dutch provider (as live in The Netherlands)......i also do not get the 2.0.1 update.......would you know why this is?

One other question... did you start off with one of the Developer bypassed phones, or a fresh webOS install? I am curious to know if we have to do a full erase on these Dev Phones to create a profile, or just insert the SIM for the first time?

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Thanks... do you need a SIM for it to work, or can I just activate it with a valid SIM and then just pop that out? You mention a Dummy SIM.. if I need that, how would I get one?
    I just checked by removing my dummy sim and it is working just fine. I have an unlocked german Pre as well and thought for some reason I needed the dummy.

So activate with a valid active sim from AT&T or T-Mobile to have access to the U.S. Paid app catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by drimo View Post
    Can you clarify what you told the AT&T people? It seems odd to me that they would just allow the phone to be activated, then let you go on your merry way.
    I first asked if they had a prepaid go phone sim I could buy that had data. They said no, so I told them that really I just needed to activate the phone with an active sim. The manager was going to let me use his personal one but one of the associates pulled the demo one and handed it to me first.

Then I showed off the features of my totally tweaked Pre minus and the reps had no idea WebOS could do all that it can.

When finished I asked for a dummy sim, and they handed me one. Turns out I didn't need that.

Generally speaking, when I am nice to others, they are nice to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    One other question... did you start off with one of the Developer bypassed phones, or a fresh webOS install? I am curious to know if we have to do a full erase on these Dev Phones to create a profile, or just insert the SIM for the first time?
    I ordered my phone from HP on Thursday w overnight delivery. I can only assume it was the same as the dev phones. The first time I turned it on was at the AT&T store with the sim in it.

I ordered my phone from HP on Thursday w overnight delivery. I can only assume it was the same as the dev phones. The first time I turned it on was at the AT&T store with the sim in it.
    It wasn't. The phones they handed out at dev day have already had the activation bypassed: to activate them, a developer needs to, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $re$-$doctor$ $the$ $phone$.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    It wasn't. The phones they handed out at dev day have already had the activation bypassed: to activate them, a developer needs to, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $re$-$doctor$ $the$ $phone$.
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully those impacted will be able to remedy the issue.

I wouldn't mind having that issue. It would have saved me $449.

Global Posts
    610 Global Posts

How do I create a Palm Profile on this thing? Do I need access to the first use app? Right now, it has a dummy palm profile on it. Looks like someone will have to update this wiki for us noobs =\
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    How do I create a Palm Profile on this thing? Do I need access to the first use app? Right now, it has a dummy palm profile on it. Looks like someone will have to update this wiki for us noobs =\
    Go to device info, choose reset options, choose apps & data erase. That is essentially a profile reload. Create the new profile from the first use screens. NOTE... You MUST have an active sim with data connection to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    You need to run webOS Doctor on your phone to get back to the profile sign-in screen.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Go to device info, choose reset options, choose apps & data erase. That is essentially a profile reload. Create the new profile from the first use screens. NOTE... You MUST have an active sim with data connection to do this.

So in this case, a SIM card from a display unit at an AT&T store does the trick. Thanks for the tip dude. Really helps.

Anything you noticed in 2.0.1? They said bugs, but no change log yet.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    BTW, doctor is still only on 2.0. 2.0.1 doctor should be coming out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    You need to run webOS Doctor on your phone to get back to the profile sign-in screen.
    Are you sure Garrett? I have done the App & Data Erase and it takes me to the profile sign on screen. I am pretty sure the create new profile option is there as well.

Although, if not activated... The Dr. may well be necessary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast