Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52
  1. #41  
    My first guess is that the update is US only at the moment. It may have been necessary since the Dr. For both EU and NA appear to be the same.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Updating over wifi worked for me.
    Great! That is good to know! I'm going to go to the AT&T store tomorrow to try to borrow a demo phone sim to activate my Pre 2 as per your suggestion!
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    Great! That is good to know! I'm going to go to the AT&T store tomorrow to try to borrow a demo phone sim to activate my Pre 2 as per your suggestion!
    Let us know if this works and what you say to get them to lend you one.
  4. bnceo's Avatar
    Posts
    533 Posts
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    #44  
    pastorrich1

    I think for this topic, we need to make it a sticky along with instructions in order form.

    Next up: instructions on getting Preware on there.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    pastorrich1

    I think for this topic, we need to make it a sticky along with instructions in order form.

    Next up: instructions on getting Preware on there.
    Thanks bnceo, although as a Forum Leader I can't do anything but... lead. LOL.

    I agree there should be a sticky for Getting Started with the Pre 2 and WebOS 2.0. Since some will apply to the device itself (like this thread) and some will apply to the OS on all WebOS devices eventually, they should probably be two different sticky's and cleaned up and summarized to remove any false or misleading information.

    Maybe I can work on a summary type Wiki to post later that they can sticky if they choose?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  6. bnceo's Avatar
    Posts
    533 Posts
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Thanks bnceo, although as a Forum Leader I can't do anything but... lead. LOL.

    I agree there should be a sticky for Getting Started with the Pre 2 and WebOS 2.0. Since some will apply to the device itself (like this thread) and some will apply to the OS on all WebOS devices eventually, they should probably be two different sticky's and cleaned up and summarized to remove any false or misleading information.

    Maybe I can work on a summary type Wiki to post later that they can sticky if they choose?
    Also, how about a GSM Pre2 forum. I see that there is a separate GSM Pre forum. Just to follow precedent. Just think it would be a cool idea.
  7. cmahy's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I first asked if they had a prepaid go phone sim I could buy that had data. They said no, so I told them that really I just needed to activate the phone with an active sim. ......


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    PastorRich -- FYI, unless they changed their on-offer products, AT&T has a pay-as-you-go 'GoPhone' account (I have one). It doesn't have data by default, but, you can purchase data packages ($5.00 for 1 MB and $20.00 for 100 MB lasting 30 days) using your on-card credit.

    Sounds like you don't really need, this, but, just-in-case.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    PastorRich -- FYI, unless they changed their on-offer products, AT&T has a pay-as-you-go 'GoPhone' account (I have one). It doesn't have data by default, but, you can purchase data packages ($5.00 for 1 MB and $20.00 for 100 MB lasting 30 days) using your on-card credit.

    Sounds like you don't really need, this, but, just-in-case.
    Thanks, another forum member (TopTongueBarry) is an AT&T employee and he let us know how we could go about getting data on a Go-Phone plan. It would definitely be a pain to use one for first activation, but I am actually considering using one so I can utilize the phone and SMS features as well as have access to data away from wifi.

    I love this phone and OS so much, I can't bear to leave it at home.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  9. #49  
    I took my Pre 2 into the AT&T store today. Here is what I told the clerk:

    "This is a strange question, but I have a Palm Pre 2 that is an unlocked GSM developer phone. I am a WebOS developer and I need to get updates to the device over the air, but can't use wifi to apply them. HP told us to use a SIM card to reset the device, then create an online account to allow us to get the device updates."

    And he handed me a sim card, no questions asked.

    I did a full erase on the phone, popped the sim in, started it back up, and was prompted to create or login to a Palm Profile. I created a new Palm Profile because I didn't want to mess up my existing profile on my Pre minus. After that was done, the phone rebooted, then I could access the App Catalog. I took the sim out, and now I am back at the office using wifi where I just applied the 2.0.1 update.

    All done!
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by drimo View Post
    I did a full erase on the phone, popped the sim in, started it back up, and was prompted to create or login to a Palm Profile.
    What do you mean when you say "full erase"? You deleted all profiles and apps data?

    I might have to do this as I can't get webOS doctor to run...it downloads onto my MacBook but when it tries to launch it gets a Java error.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    What do you mean when you say "full erase"? You deleted all profiles and apps data?
    Yep, I pressed the "Full Erase" button in the reset options.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Let us know if this works and what you say to get them to lend you one.
    As I mentioned in another forum...I never could get webOS doctor to work! It would download to my MacBook but then when it would try to launch I would get a java error about some class that was undefined.

    I tried for a while (updating Java, rebooting machine, having no other browsers/programs running, etc...)

    I finally gave up and went to the AT&T store and told them I had an unlocked Palm Pre 2 and I wanted to test it to make sure it worked with AT&T and then talk about my options for plans.

    They were very friendly and got a sim out of a demo phone and lent it to me to put in the phone. I did the full erase option (erasing all profiles/data/apps) and the phone rebooted. It took a minute or two but it started up and immediately asked me to create a new profile or provide the info for an existing profile.

    I put in a new email address and created a new profile. Everything seemed to work pretty well. I was able to access the app store.

    The ONE thing that bothered me is that google maps couldn't get a location fix for me. I figured it wouldn't get a GPS fix inside the store...BUT that it would get some idea just based on which tower I was connected to.

    The AT&T rep said that I cared about data, the best bet would be to get a regular plan for 450 minutes and then add data for $25 that would give 2GB. Sine I had my own phone I wouldn't be "on contract" and could cancel any time.

    We then got side tracked talking about the new Windows 7 phones which the salesperson said had been selling pretty well.

    When I got home (after giving back their sim) I left the phone on a window sill and later pulled up google maps and DID get a location fix!

    I can also access the app store and plan to download some of the basics like facebook app etc...

    I would say that for people who already HAVE a main phone just borrowing a sim from a friend or a store is the way to go to setup a profile.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions