Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Are you sure Garrett? I have done the App & Data Erase and it takes me to the profile sign on screen. I am pretty sure the create new profile option is there as well.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Oh, or that too lol...
    You could also use Preware to install the "Show FirstUse app" patch. You'll be able to access the sign-in screen from there too.

When I used that patch to let me sign if after using the Palm bypass tool, my GPS wouldn't work. Not sure if the Palm Bypass Tool disables the GPS, but after using MetaDoctor my GPS has been fine...
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Are you sure Garrett? I have done the App & Data Erase and it takes me to the profile sign on screen. I am pretty sure the create new profile option is there as well.

You are right pastorrich. Doing your method will take you to the First Use App (like a fresh phone).

Now I have to create a gmail address just for this phone. Haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    You are right pastorrich. Doing your method will take you to the First Use App (like a fresh phone).

Now I have to create a gmail address just for this phone. Haha.
    But if activation was bypassed a Dr. may be necessary for everything to work properly... Sorry I can't be sure.

Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  5.    #25  
    will palm-launch com.palm.app.firstuse not work? And why does it need a sim card to do this?
    I've been looking at the Pre 2 I got at the NYC developer's conference and I just want to verify what I've figured out from the forums:

1) The pre 2 we received had already been "enabled" to work without activation as described here:

Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center

2) Because of this we can not access the app catalog or update the firmware OTA

3) To access the app catalog we need to FIRST use webOS doctor:
    http://ws.palm.com/webosdoctor/sorry.htm

4) Once this is done we can use ANY sim and put it in the phone, turn it on and then go through the normal first use procedure. ***It is important to use a U.S. sim as this determines which app store the phone will be able to access**

5) Once we have done this we can put the phone into developers mode using the code...

6) We can remove the sim completely and use it sim-less but via wifi to access the app catalog and also get firmware updates.

Is the above correct?
    @Atif, if it is correct what you stated then I would never be able to receive the firmware OTA as I live in NL and using an UK Pre2 model......next to that I use a Dutch provider (Vodafone) and do not have the ability to grap an US sim....
    I would expect that I bought an unlocked device and then also should be able to update the firmare OTA, or do i miss something here?
    @renzov - Sorry if I wasn't clear. The Pre 2's that are "unactivated" so that they can be used for development work can not access the app catalog or get new firmware because they are not associated with a palm profile. According to the link to get new firmware they need to be re-flashed with updated webOS doctor's for the new firmware.

In your case if you have a Dutch sim in your UK Pre 2 than you must have created a palm profile on your first use. So you should be able to get the new firmware just like any other normally activated phone.

At least this is my understanding...someone correct me if I am wrong.
    Thanks Atif, for your fast reply.
    I do have created a profile on first use , but this is an US profile and I'm unable to download the new Firmware update. any idea why? should I have created my profile against UK or NL? (btw: think NL was not in the list anyway.....)

I can access App catalog, but cannot buy stuff only download free apps....
    Quote Originally Posted by renzov View Post
    I do have created a profile on first use , but this is an US profile and I'm unable to download the new Firmware update. any idea why?

I can access App catalog, but cannot buy stuff only download free apps....
    When you first activated the phone with a sim in it and created your profile, which sim did you use?

If you search the forums it appears that the VERY FIRST sim you use determines which app store you have access too. Not all countries have access to the PAID apps available in the U.S. market...
    I used the sim of my Dutch provider (Vodafone).

Reading your second line that it should be OK as I used the Dutch sim to create the profile and would not have payed apps then.

Is this also explaining why I cannot update to 2.0.1?
    Is this also explaining why I cannot update to 2.0.1?
    I'm not sure...I would have thought that you should be able to get the 2.0.1 update via a wifi connection but I have no experience with non-US phones so I can't say. In a few hours when more U.S. forum readers are up I'm sure one of them will be able to give you a better answer.
    Just restored my device with the UK rom and created an UK profiel using my Dutch sim, nevertheless I'm still unable to download firmware update 2.0.1

So would it be possible that the 2.0.1 firmware update is applicable to US rom only and not UK rom?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    6) We can remove the sim completely and use it sim-less but via wifi to access the app catalog and also get firmware updates.
    You have to use regular wifi and not MHS from your Sprint phone. Just an FYI. We need to document all this.

Btw, I didn;t use doctor. Simply erased apps and data, created new profile, and boom. I'm in. Took me 4 tries to create a profile though.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Also: having a problem accessing the beta catalog. Probably means I can only use preware. But I tried to use HP/Palm's link on their Facebook page and no dice. Takes me to the Palm website. Tear =\
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    You have to use regular wifi and not MHS from your Sprint phone. Just an FYI. We need to document all this.

Btw, I didn;t use doctor. Simply erased apps and data, created new profile, and boom. I'm in. Took me 4 tries to create a profile though.
    right, but did you have to put a real sim in there to do this? Or did you just do the erase?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thesilversurfer View Post
    right, but did you have to put a real sim in there to do this? Or did you just do the erase?
    Yes. You need an activated SIM. Buddy of mine let me use his for a few minutes and now I'm on 2.0.1. All good to go.

An italian guy at DevDay told me a good way is to get a prepaid GO PHONE and its SIM Card. So you get a backup phone and w/e credit is on the SIM Card. Activate it using the prepaid phone and then switch it over to your Pre2
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    I'm not sure...I would have thought that you should be able to get the 2.0.1 update via a wifi connection but I have no experience with non-US phones so I can't say. In a few hours when more U.S. forum readers are up I'm sure one of them will be able to give you a better answer.
    Updating over wifi worked for me.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Updating over wifi worked for me.
    That is not working for me....
    I have a UK Pre2, activated by NL sim and does not have a firmare 2.0.1 update available....neither by my provider (which is Vodafone) or WiFi.

So my question would be more....any people here on the forum using an UK Pre2 have received the firmware update 2.0.1?
    That is not working for me....
    I have a UK Pre2, activated by NL sim and does not have a firmare 2.0.1 update available....neither by my provider (which is Vodafone) or WiFi.

So my question would be more....any people here on the forum using an UK Pre2 have received the firmware update 2.0.1?
    I have been wondering that myself. I have a UK Pre 2 activated in Sweden with a Swedish SIM and I'm also still on 2.0.0. So is it a EU vs. NA device thing, or is it an official vs. unofficial country thing?

Visor -> m515 -> Treo 650 -> HTC TyTnII -> Treo 750 -> Treo Pro -> Prē -> Prē Plus -> Prē 2

WebOS Patches: Ringer switch icon in Top bar, Disable LightBar, Week Numbers in Calendar (ISO 8601)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast