Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by runtimmyc View Post
    Has anyone else seen that people have started putting $200 off coupons on ebay? Jerk move, in my opinion.
    are the coupons numbered?

I would think someone would want to report those auctions to ebay's fraud department because it's certain that the buyer won't be able to use the coupon.

there are several levels of fraud in this, and ebay generally removes auctions of this nature.

that way they don't have a bunch of people disputing paypal charges and making charges of fraud against ebay and the sellers.

has anyone tried reporting the offending auctions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    are the coupons numbered?

I would think someone would want to report those auctions to ebay's fraud department because it's certain that the buyer won't be able to use the coupon.

there are several levels of fraud in this, and ebay generally removes auctions of this nature.

that way they don't have a bunch of people disputing paypal charges and making charges of fraud against ebay and the sellers.

has anyone tried reporting the offending auctions?
    According to Peter Helm, each and every code is hand generated at the time of its issue for that specific recipient. So yes, they could know who was issued which coupon. That's also why it is taking so long to get all of them out.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I was told I'd be getting my coupon Friday night, still haven't received it yet. You guys are making me jealous I need to retire my Sprint Pre asap, here's hoping I get my coupon soon, my credit card is so ready to make this purchase.

Congrats to all of you that got your coupons!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    According to Peter Helm, each and every code is hand generated at the time of its issue for that specific recipient. So yes, they could know who was issued which coupon. That's also why it is taking so long to get all of them out.
    I think everyone in the dev program should log on to ebay and report those auctions.
    I think everyone in the dev program should log on to ebay and report those auctions.
    Agreed!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Agreed!!!!
    I completely agree. It's almost laughable that these developers are now selling their coupons to non-developers (that's just plain stupid.)

I commend HP/Palm for giving us a nice discount on on the Pre 2. It's messed up that there are "developers selling these to non-developers for a profit.

I wonder if this turns into a delay (hope not) on the coupon front for all the developers still waiting for their coupon code, while others received the coupon and decided to post it to eBsy.
    Jimmie Geddes
    It's annoying that these people got coupon codes with intention to resell when other legitimate developers haven't (like me )
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I completely agree. It's almost laughable that these developers are now selling their coupons to non-developers (that's just plain stupid.)

I commend HP/Palm for giving us a nice discount on on the Pre 2. It's messed up that there are "developers selling these to non-developers for a profit.

I wonder if this turns into a delay (hope not) on the coupon front for all the developers still waiting for their coupon code, while others received the coupon and decided to post it to eBsy.
    First, my guess is these aren't legit developers. They are liars and frauds who applied, made up whaterver they needed to and got coupons.

Second... I reported two listings on Ebay last night. One that had a coupon listed and one that had a title of "Palm Pre 2 phones on verizon" They had a blurry picture of two Pre-Plus phones side by side face up, but all of their other pics of the phones back and accssories were clear. It was an intentional effort to decieve IMHO.

I had to choose the most generic category for the reason for filing the complaint then had a short space to type remarks and said the coupons being sold are non-transferable from the original recipient. I hope they pulled them by now. (I can't check from work, ebay is blocked)
    thanks! I also reported an auction.
    The auctions are still up and I doubt that anything results from reporting them. In any case, I would imagine that more than a couple people who received the coupons are buying the unlocked phones at a discount and selling them on ebay. Which is a bummer, but there is nothing much Pam can do about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtimmyc View Post
    The auctions are still up and I doubt that anything results from reporting them. In any case, I would imagine that more than a couple people who received the coupons are buying the unlocked phones at a discount and selling them on ebay. Which is a bummer, but there is nothing much Pam can do about that.
    ...except never offer discounts to the developer community again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
    ...except never offer discounts to the developer community again.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend those people who are trying to game the system... I'm just saying that it is going to happen.
    The infraction is not between the seller and ebay but coupon receiver and Palm violating the TOC of the program. This means Palm would have to spend cash to enact legal actions with these recipients but the cost per violator is prolly more than the value of the coupon let alone the device itself.

Their plan was to get new developers and it is a risk. However with risk, there is means of exploitation. Shame on them!!!!
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Or...

Palm can merely match the purchaser's name to the coupon code. If it doesn't match the person who requested the coupon, no-go.

That doesn't stop them from ordering it and then selling it afterwards, but it would stop the coupon code sellers at least.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Or...

Palm can merely match the purchaser's name to the coupon code. If it doesn't match the person who requested the coupon, no-go.

That doesn't stop them from ordering it and then selling it afterwards, but it would stop the coupon code sellers at least.
    I do think Palm should have gone a bit further in protecting the coupons. Since you have to have a developer account anyway, I'm not sure why they couldn't have tied it to a the specific login via some method.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Hey guys, just as an update...I received my coupon yesterday!...Really excited, thanks for all the help...and now I just need to get a hold of $250...
    I got mine today...

Thanks Palm!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    In the email containing my code, it says the code is valid until June 2011...Is that true?...
    Hmm how long is it taking for most people from start to finish? I got the initial email, then about 4 days later the "Thank you for your interest in the HP Palm Developer Device Program. Your request for a discount coupon code has been received and has been submitted for review." and it's been 5 days and nothing.... have some ideas for some apps I'd like to get cranking on but really want to test on actual hardware.......
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy1980 View Post
    Hmm how long is it taking for most people from start to finish? I got the initial email, then about 4 days later the "Thank you for your interest in the HP Palm Developer Device Program. Your request for a discount coupon code has been received and has been submitted for review." and it's been 5 days and nothing.... have some ideas for some apps I'd like to get cranking on but really want to test on actual hardware.......
    I applied 11/18 morning, got my code today.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast