Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 209
  1. #41  
    Sorry for that spelling thing... I use Palm Pre before (actually for one week only). I love the OS but not so much the device. Two things I hate is battery life and keyboard. See, I'm coming from iPhone and love the virtual keyboard. I'm also an iPhone developer and looking for webOS as alternative. Sounds crazy (maybe not to people on this forum) but I'm not looking for Android as alternative and iOS has a few things to learn from webOS...

    Boris
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by bklaydman View Post
    Sorry for that spelling thing... I use Palm Pre before (actually for one week only). I love the OS but not so much the device. Two things I hate is battery life and keyboard. See, I'm coming from iPhone and love the virtual keyboard. I'm also an iPhone developer and looking for webOS as alternative. Sounds crazy (maybe not to people on this forum) but I'm not looking for Android as alternative and iOS has a few things to learn from webOS...

    Boris
    Great, I am sure you will find WebOS a great platform to develop on. I'm not a developer yet, but intend to develop an app or two (will start when Enyo is available). I bought a Pre 2 on launch day from HP primarily to get familiar with the hardware and OS to assist people here on the forums. I have requested a coupon as well and if/when I get that I will buy a discounted one to do the development and support for users here on. Then I will take my retail purchased Pre 2 and use it for a little FrankenPre2 effort (hopefully).

    I have read that it is fairly straightforward to port your iPhone apps to WebOS. Do you think you will be able to get your iOS apps ported to work on WebOS?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Great, I am sure you will find WebOS a great platform to develop on. I'm not a developer yet, but intend to develop an app or two (will start when Enyo is available). I bought a Pre 2 on launch day from HP primarily to get familiar with the hardware and OS to assist people here on the forums. I have requested a coupon as well and if/when I get that I will buy a discounted one to do the development and support for users here on. Then I will take my retail purchased Pre 2 and use it for a little FrankenPre2 effort (hopefully).

    I have read that it is fairly straightforward to port your iPhone apps to WebOS. Do you think you will be able to get your iOS apps ported to work on WebOS?
    I'm not sure that it is easy to port the app as you read. On iPhone my apps are written in Objective-C - compiled. On webOS it is all HTML, JavaScript and CSS. Very, very different.
    Also, most of my apps are written for clients so it is up to them to chose to port the app or not. I have a few ideas of my own (at least it would build the portfolio) if nothing else happens on the porting side.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by bklaydman View Post
    I'm not sure that it is easy to port the app as you read. On iPhone my apps are written in Objective-C - compiled. On webOS it is all HTML, JavaScript and CSS. Very, very different.
    Also, most of my apps are written for clients so it is up to them to chose to port the app or not. I have a few ideas of my own (at least it would build the portfolio) if nothing else happens on the porting side.
    Cough Palm PDK cough cough

    PDK - HP Palm Developer Center
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Cough Palm PDK cough cough

    PDK - HP Palm Developer Center
    Not that easy too. PDF is for Games mainly... The apps I've done best transferred to SDK.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by bklaydman View Post
    Not that easy too. PDF is for Games mainly... The apps I've done best transferred to SDK.
    bklaydman is correct,

    PDK opens access to SDL and direct media modifications. This is very low level coding that allows you to choose what gets drawn where, with no previous assets (buttons, textboxes) available from the SDK.

    I believe the iOS SDK in objective C has these "widgets" available, and is fundamentally incompatible as a result.

    That's why you've only seen games ported between iOS, Android and webOS (they all use the same SDL/openGL code).
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  7. #47  
    Glad to have another developer confirm this
  8. #48  
    What no games? Well that's different. Could wait to see how enyo plays out when it's released but looks like those apps will require convert from scratch using the avail APIs in the SDK Though we were talking games.

    Good news the webos sdk is very simple with LOTS of sample APIs and widgets so the convert even from scratch shouldn't be as time-consuming as you may thing. I was first surprised how quick it was when I made my first app on it.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  9. #49  
    Yeah... I'm waiting to the Enyo...
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by manyh View Post
    anyone received already?
    Got my code Thursday afternoon. Ordered the Pre 2 at 6AM Friday morning. Paid the $9.70 extra for Fed Ex priority overnight. The order status claimed my order was set to ship yesterday. It was never
    updated after that, and I received no tracking number. Nothing came today. Order status page still reporting it as not yet shipped.

    Guess they got flooded with developer orders Thursday night so they never got to PIK my order at the wh0rehouse on Friday. It'll probably ship Monday for Tuesday delivery. Fine by me. Thanks HP/Palm!

    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Got my code Thursday afternoon. Ordered the Pre 2 at 6AM Friday morning. Paid the $9.70 extra for Fed Ex priority overnight. The order status claimed my order was set to ship yesterday. It was never
    updated after that, and I received no tracking number. Nothing came today. Order status page still reporting it as not yet shipped.

    Guess they got flooded with developer orders Thursday night so they never got to PIK my order at the wh0rehouse on Friday. It'll probably ship Monday for Tuesday delivery. Fine by me. Thanks HP/Palm!

    TTB
    I got my code Thursday afternoon as well, though I went for 2 day shipping. My order status hasn't changed either, so I don't know if they just never updated the data or if it just hasn't shipped yet.

    And regarding the estimated ship date, I think that it is incorrect. It said mine should have shipped on Thursday (even though I ordered it at 6:01PM EST) and the "Estimated Delivery Date" was yesterday.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  12. #52  
    Finally got the code this morning! Time to order

    Done ordering the device feels like a steal at $250
    Last edited by gladesmellzgood; 12/04/2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Added to post
  13. cwgtex's Avatar
    Posts
    608 Posts
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    #53  
    WOW this phone is amazing...the glass screen really makes it so much better. The phone just feels so professional, and the touchscreen is so much more responsive.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    WOW this phone is amazing...the glass screen really makes it so much better. The phone just feels so professional, and the touchscreen is so much more responsive.
    How's the slider?
  15. cwgtex's Avatar
    Posts
    608 Posts
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    #55  
    Honestly its about the same as my Pre+ was new. My problem with my old Pre- was it got real bad over time, so I can't really answer until I've put this one through some good use. I'll report back as time goes on.

    Don't let worry about the slider keep you from getting this phone, it truly is phenomenal.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    Honestly its about the same as my Pre+ was new. My problem with my old Pre- was it got real bad over time, so I can't really answer until I've put this one through some good use. I'll report back as time goes on.

    Don't let worry about the slider keep you from getting this phone, it truly is phenomenal.
    I already picked it up and should be getting it on Tuesday. I was just wondering how the slider was.
  17. #57  
    Interesting enough, my original request email didn't get a response, but my other email (which I vaguely remember creating a community account to get the SDK a long time ago) got an email asking if I want to participate. I got nothing on my actual developer account email though.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  18. #58  
    Interestingly enough, I submitted my app for the coupon with nothing but the 4 themes I had in prethemer (5 now) and I just got the coupon for my new Pre 2. I've been n a hiatus for some time now (Dang iPhone4 got me hooked) but the upgraded device and a crack at webOS 2.0 has me excited again. I'll post back when the phone arrives.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

    Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
  19. aaronchow's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    #59  
    I received an (generic) email earlier informing me about the $200 coupon thing. I replied and said that I haven't submitted an app before (closed to, but never did because my Pre broke). I got a reply back almost instantly saying that he will submit my information and I should receive the coupon tomorrow. I'm looking toward to code for the WebOS platform again because my apps on iOS don't sell well......
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    All of the WebOS Internals developers who applied are still waiting for coupons. We have 8 devices to buy ...

    -- Rod
    I was informed that all of the webOS Internals developers will be getting their coupon codes soon and that Palm is working on their codes (though I don't know if they're going to do a special international code for webOS Internals developers, which would be nice).
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions