Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I ordered on 12/22 and was told it was backordered. Tonight I got a message it was sent by FedEx.
    I already bought (and received) 2 Touchstones, a travel charger and a PhantomSkinz cover. Now all I need is the freakin' phone
    hey guys
    I have got the coupon in 11th,and ordered at once. However, it is pending till now. Anybody likes that?
    thanks
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I have a theory, I could be way off base, but to me it seems possible.

HP is using the Pre2 as a sales probe. Maybe they wanted to see test the market for a new Palm phone. The developer community would be the perfect test market, because if developers show a high level of interest, then consumers will follow (because of quality apps). It seems like they didn't make enough to meet demand, so I think now they understand that not as many people have jumped ship as you might think.

And then they back out of CES to hold their own event a few weeks later. Maybe after seeing the significant developer demand for new devices, they decided to give themselves more time to manufacture more "super-devices" so they are ready in time, possibly to launch on a carrier within a few weeks of their event?

All this is just my speculation, but it would be nice if its true. Me personally, I will not be jumping ship. I first started liking Palm when I saw my friend's Treo750p back in late 2008. I really liked the phone, but the OS just seemed so dated. Then I heard the announcement for the original Pre. I got it on launch day, and haven't looked back since. It is so much better than all the other mobile OS's.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Finally got the phone after a long backorder, and after having ordered it on the 21st.

All I can say is: WOW. What an amazing device (only things I don't like so far are the battery life, the lack of a good screen protector option (do I even need one for the Gorilla glass screen), and the lack of an Ooma Mobile application (analogous to the one on iOS and Android)).

Thanks, Palm/HP. Now, on to doing at least a little development so that I can justify the coupon.
    I got it a couple of days ago, and it is leaps and bounds over the original Pre. My app flies on the Pre 2, and it's perfect for quickly developing new features on your app. I just love that I got it for $200 off. What a bargain.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Hey guys, for us that have received the coupon, is there a special site that we must use to order the Pre 2? I went to HP's site and entered the coupon only to have it be read as invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by punyparker04 View Post
    Hey guys, for us that have received the coupon, is there a special site that we must use to order the Pre 2? I went to HP's site and entered the coupon only to have it be read as invalid.
    the e-mail including coupon has a URL to buy palm pre2. Enjoy it
    I don't have that URL anymore. How can I get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I got it a couple of days ago, and it is leaps and bounds over the original Pre. My app flies on the Pre 2, and it's perfect for quickly developing new features on your app. I just love that I got it for $200 off. What a bargain.

I just want the new SDK to come out already! It was definitely a bargain though. I went to a AT&T store today and started using a Palm Pre Plus...it was pretty painful after using a Pre 2.

10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post

The manner in which HP does business get's murkier by the day. If this is how they handle their business with business partners, after all that's what small business's are, then one can only imagine how they deal with regular retail customers.
    I am not surprised. If you bought a laptop from them lately you will know how it works. HP is trying to eliminate shipping costs from China. The orders go to China. Once complete they ship to UPS (Yes UPS) which handles the final delivery here in US. About four years back I ordered a laptop. I wanted to cancel it the same day (in the evening). It took me forever to cancel the order. I have to call a dozen folks. One of the guys actually called china to verify. Why because the order was sent it to china already. If I cancel it the chinese manufacture might send it to HP which has no place to store these ( I believe).

Whatever it is , overall HP did all murky stuff in the name of cost cutting. Thanks to Mark Hurd. Now that he is gone, hopefully they might get better.

Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    I have a theory, I could be way off base, but to me it seems possible.

HP is using the Pre2 as a sales probe. Maybe they wanted to see test the market for a new Palm phone. The developer community would be the perfect test market, because if developers show a high level of interest, then consumers will follow (because of quality apps). It seems like they didn't make enough to meet demand, so I think now they understand that not as many people have jumped ship as you might think.
    Good theory but me thinks its not true. My theory is Palm blew hardware on Pre2. Before they got sold to HP , they were caught in the middle of
    • fixing the Pre
    • Selling on more carriers
    • Developing new devices
    • Supporting existing devices

By the time they woke up , Android ate their lunch. Sprint/ATT probably said no thanks. So they might had a limited production of this "Pre2". I doubt any carrier wants to go with Pre form factor anymore. It might get some time to get used to.
    My friend who has an iPhone likes the form factor of my Pre+.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I am not surprised. If you bought a laptop from them lately you will know how it works. HP is trying to eliminate shipping costs from China. The orders go to China. Once complete they ship to UPS (Yes UPS) which handles the final delivery here in US. About four years back I ordered a laptop. I wanted to cancel it the same day (in the evening). It took me forever to cancel the order. I have to call a dozen folks. One of the guys actually called china to verify. Why because the order was sent it to china already. If I cancel it the chinese manufacture might send it to HP which has no place to store these ( I believe).
    Your theory is incorrect. They do have warehouses and they do have them in stock. I know because mine came from one of their US warehouses. The reason the business site has them out of stock or on backorder for a while is that they expected more sales to consumers than business users. The contract they had with the manufacturer probably required a hundred thousand or more units to be manufactured and sold to HP.

With the custom configured laptops/desktops, they do indeed manufacture those in China and send them out -- hence the "Ships in # weeks/days" message on the order page.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by punyparker04 View Post
    I don't have that URL anymore. How can I get it?
    Just go to the HP Small Business site. You must order from the small business page, not the home/home office page. It is actually better there anyways, because they have lower shipping costs.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Got my coupon last night! Ordered and paid for overnight, but there has been no shipping update today...site shows delivery for tomorrow though...

My invoice number is all zeros though.. And I read on here about a order number mixup, should I call?
    Ordered mine on the 17th, will be here tomorrow. So they are in stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedy1978 View Post
    Ordered mine on the 17th, will be here tomorrow. So they are in stock.

Did you receive shipping confirmation?
    Quote Originally Posted by tlayng12 View Post
    Did you receive shipping confirmation?
    Yes I did. I called HP to confirm shipment. Sent via FedEx.
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    Finally got the phone after a long backorder, and after having ordered it on the 21st.

All I can say is: WOW. What an amazing device (only things I don't like so far are the battery life, the lack of a good screen protector option (do I even need one for the Gorilla glass screen), and the lack of an Ooma Mobile application (analogous to the one on iOS and Android)).

Thanks, Palm/HP. Now, on to doing at least a little development so that I can justify the coupon.
    Yes you should probably have a screen protector. I myself refuse to use them but I already have a scratch on my screen through normal wear and tear. I have had the phone maybe a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy1978 View Post
    Yes I did. I called HP to confirm shipment. Sent via FedEx.
    Alright, I'm going to call today.

Was your order status page ever updated with shipment info?
    Order was supposed to deliver today, I called and they said sorry for the delay, will come tomorrow and overnight shipping was free.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast