Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, here is the skinny on Flash in WebOS 2.0

It works fine for some things and not so much for others.

For example... www.tinkerfcu.org and Mosaic Church -- Oklahoma City

Both have flash elements in them and 2.0 gives you the ability to turn flash on or off and to choose whether it plays automatically or with the press of a play button.

The moment you press play on the flash content, you lose the ability to scroll or zoom in or out on the page completely. However the flash content works.

So, it still needs some work IMHO.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    There must be a way around that, because I remember a demo video where they started a flash object then scrolled to another area of the page and it continued to play even while not visible. I doubt I could find the video again though.
    Yeah basically the Flash plugin will just focus on the single flash element you put it to, so you can't do anything else. Have you tried hitting back once that happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    There must be a way around that, because I remember a demo video where they started a flash object then scrolled to another area of the page and it continued to play even while not visible. I doubt I could find the video again though.
    I have only tried it on those two sites because I knew they had flash elements. Both exhibited the same behavior. If you have some others you would like me to try just let me know.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Yeah basically the Flash plugin will just focus on the single flash element you put it to, so you can't do anything else. Have you tried hitting back once that happens?
    The back button on the browser takes me back to the previous page with one tap, but the back guesture has to be done twice, but the page doesn't gain any functionality back after the initial back guesture.
    If you look at the refresh icon in the lower right, it will change to an X.

That was noted in Dieter's Pre2 flash preview.

If you tap that "X" icon, it will enable you to control the page again.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Just a note: A good site for flash games optimized for mobile devices is Kongregate Games
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    If you look at the refresh icon in the lower right, it will change to an X.

That was noted in Dieter's Pre2 flash preview.

If you tap that "X" icon, it will enable you to control the page again.
    Bingo... that took care of it. Thanks Arthur.
    Like I thought, we should never have had Flash. It's pretty pointless in the end except for non-Youtube video.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Like I thought, we should never have had Flash. It's pretty pointless in the end except for non-Youtube video.
    This debate is probably better suited on a another thread, but he figured out his problem so it's not a good example as to why we shouldn't have flash.

You can't just ignore the current talent base around flash over html5, defiantly indicating it's continued use for a few years more, content I personally would rather have the option of viewing.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Bingo... that took care of it. Thanks Arthur.
    Glad to see that helped you out.

They need to make that little icon more obvious because most people aren't paying attention to the refresh button when they're trying to watch some video.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Glad to see that helped you out.

They need to make that little icon more obvious because most people aren't paying attention to the refresh button when they're trying to watch some video.
    Yes, it looks more like the stop button for the browser, so even though the page is finished loading, you feel like pressing the X will break the page. I haven't tried a page with Flash video yet.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    With webOS 1.4.5 double tapping on flash content would focus on the flash element and black-out the rest of the background both in landscape and portrait.

Does behaviour still exist in webOS 2.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    With webOS 1.4.5 double tapping on flash content would focus on the flash element and black-out the rest of the background both in landscape and portrait.

Does behaviour still exist in webOS 2.0?
    Yeah that's what I was thinking a few posts ago. I'm pretty sure it will focus on that Flash element, and you have to hit X to go back to the normal page.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I'm just happy to have a feature that we don't have to pay for. Thanks pastorrich1.
    I've been a Flash developer for many years and I was excited to get a Pre2 at dev day to test some of my work with. I'm going to be testing performance and trying to figure out how best to optimize Flash stuff to work with the Pre2. If any other owners are interested in testing some of this stuff out let me know
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    I've been a Flash developer for many years and I was excited to get a Pre2 at dev day to test some of my work with. I'm going to be testing performance and trying to figure out how best to optimize Flash stuff to work with the Pre2. If any other owners are interested in testing some of this stuff out let me know
    Sure, just send me links to whatever you want me to try. Shoot me a PM and I will give you my email address so I can just click a link on my Pre 2 to try the content you want tested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Yeah that's what I was thinking a few posts ago. I'm pretty sure it will focus on that Flash element, and you have to hit X to go back to the normal page.
    If it behaves like 1.4.5, the back swipe gesture should work too to exit flash content.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    If it behaves like 1.4.5, the back swipe gesture should work too to exit flash content.
    Yes, I just tested this and the back guesture works like the X button.
    Sure, just send me links to whatever you want me to try. Shoot me a PM and I will give you my email address so I can just click a link on my Pre 2 to try the content you want tested.
    Thanks man Most likely later this evening after work I'm going to create a few simple Flash movies with various degrees of animation and user interactivity in an effort to determine performance sweet-spots. It'll be interesting to see how the results stack up from phone to phone under different CPU loads.

I tried a couple of my very heavy sites and, needless to say, the performance was less than stellar.. but that's to be expected really.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast