Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I guess I'll just figure it out on my own... Just like I did when honda techs told me I couldn't install oem nav in a car that didn't have it. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I thought that's wha these forums were for. End user, hah. I'm quite the quick study. W/e.

again thanks for all you've done. I just figured I could join in on the figuring stuff out. I may not be a programmer but that doesn't mean I'm useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by jemojc View Post
    I guess I'll just figure it out on my own... Just like I did when honda techs told me I couldn't install oem nav in a car that didn't have it. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I thought that's wha these forums were for. End user, hah. I'm quite the quick study. W/e.

again thanks for all you've done. I just figured I could join in on the figuring stuff out. I may not be a programmer but that doesn't mean I'm useless.
    I think you've read far too much into my statement.

You asked if there were better instructions, and there are not. The status is "in development" and not ready for end users.

If you wish to be part of the development, then great! Reproduce where we are up to now (as SirataXero and sirkuttin have done) and then we'll continue forward together.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

I'm certain Rod wasn't dissing you. He is just UBER-careful when it comes to releasing info that isn't complete and well tested. The advancements that have been made to date and the acceptance of this community by Palm are due in large part to WebOS Internals respect for copyright law, Open source agreements and standards and concern for the end user not messing up their device due to poor advise.

Please feel free to experiment and either post your findings publicly as others have or communicate them to those who have posted on the subject via PM. I don't think they would discount any insight you might have and may even be able to help you in your journey.

Good luck. There are a lot of people cheering you and others on in the effort.

EDIT: See, as I was writing my novel Rod was already posting.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    The complete set of instructions is in post #15 in this thread. There is nothing else at this point.

One thing someone should try is setting the DMMODEL token to P100EWW instead of leaving it as P102UNA (i.e. making the Palm profile server think that the device is still a Sprint Pre instead of an unlocked Pre 2). Of course you will want to disable the update daemon if you do this.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I noticed people still had errors when trying to restore their profile on a Pre 2 that was still with the unlocked GSM board. However, version 2.0.1 seemed to have fixed that... If someone could try the swa with webOS 2.0.1 they might be able to restore their profile...

just a thought.

Also, as stated above, jemojc, don't be discouraged at all. Think of it more like an open challenge. If you're willing to jump in and get your hands dirty, by all means.
    Has anyone tried the swap with the 2.0.1 doctor yet? I'm sure its not different at all, but I'm just so impatient... I think I want to try it again if no one has tried it. I just don't like being without a phone for the whole day, since I only have one Sprint phone (which is my main). If someone has tried it, please speak out and let me know how it doesn't work, otherwise i'm going to go ahead and try it myself...
    I'll be attempting this as soon as I get my Pre 2 from HP, hopefully early this week.
    Sounds good. Keep me in the loop as to how it goes and how far you get. I'm really reconsidering doing it again... but I'd have to devote a whole day to it and lose phone service again...
    Im not sure if this helps, but i had this problem on my pre when i was changing devices. messages wouldn't send but phone would work fine. I ended up going in to the ##MSL# menu or the ##DATA# menu and had to manually edit some settings.

Im waiting on Palm to send me my coupon for the pre2. Once that happens i'll hop on board with you guys and get up to speed.
    Yeah I already went through all that. No dice. It's something deeper (I believe). However, I'd feel a lot better if, once you get your 2, that you go ahead and try it too. Make sure I didn't mess something up (chances very high) and forgot to do something which was necessary. I have tried multiple times with different settings all done manually but.. *SHRUG*.

Definitely post back here when you're up and running and let us know how its going.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The complete set of instructions is in post #15 in this thread. There is nothing else at this point.

One thing someone should try is setting the DMMODEL token to P100EWW instead of leaving it as P102UNA (i.e. making the Palm profile server think that the device is still a Sprint Pre instead of an unlocked Pre 2). Of course you will want to disable the update daemon if you do this.

-- Rod
    Now this is a long shot, But... I remember people saying that they saw a Palm employee using a pre2 on big red at the dev day... would guessing the possible sprint/vzw model number for the pre2 in the meta-doctor somehow grab the correct tokens from palm?
    The tokens are already embedded within your phone. There is no network database of tokens. The Doctor just verifies you have the correct tokens for its function (Carrier, Device ID, etc.) and then gets the green light to go ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    Now this is a long shot, But... I remember people saying that they saw a Palm employee using a pre2 on big red at the dev day... would guessing the possible sprint/vzw model number for the pre2 in the meta-doctor somehow grab the correct tokens from palm?
    I've heard of a Palm employee with a Sprint Pre2. But the reason they can do it easily is that they can have a custom-built webOS doctor for their carrier of choice. They just swap the radio boards (which I assume the Sprint Pre2 has a swapped board) and then doctor it with their custom doctor.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    ahhhh, i see. thanks for the info
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Has anyone tried the swap with the 2.0.1 doctor yet? I'm sure its not different at all, but I'm just so impatient... I think I want to try it again if no one has tried it. I just don't like being without a phone for the whole day, since I only have one Sprint phone (which is my main). If someone has tried it, please speak out and let me know how it doesn't work, otherwise i'm going to go ahead and try it myself...
    when i did it, it was with a 2.0.1 doctor.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I have been watching this thread for a while now, and I want to thank all of you who do so much. I have plussed my sprint pre because of you guys. I'd be interested in doing this, but the instructions are a little too vague for me at this point.

hey jemojc,

I also thought it quite vague when I first read the posts in here. So I assume you already have the meta-doctor running well. You need to make sure it is the newest one of course before messing with this. Once you get that all set up the best thing to do is look through the makefile that the metadoctor uses. That pretty much explains what rod refers to in post 16 like he said. He actually isn't helping people intentionally on this one. Not trying to be mean, but if you need help, then you might not be ready to do this. not because you are dumb but because there are problems doing it and you would have to solve them. And that would take the programming knowledge that you yourself say you do not possess. Like I said I lost my text messaging and don't know how to fix it.

Rod is waiting to release all the info until everything is worked out. He might update the meta-doctor as well to make it even easier to do. He doesn't want people bricking their phones and all those people looking bad upon the whole homebrew community. Bad news travels faster than light. It makes sense to me that only those able to figure it out on their own do it. Those people would also be the ones who might be able to help work out the bugs.

You are already on step ahead of most since you understand the meta-doctor to an extent from plussing your pre. I also wish you luck, but beware of the current problems.
    Last edited by sirkuttin; 12/16/2010 at 12:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    That is the only way I have tried it actually. Are you suggesting this just to access old palm profiles? (which I haven't tried to do)

Since I have almost no idea what I am doing, I wanted to post this "finding". I had a look at the Show Properties app on my Sprint Pre 2. None of the tokens are anything like what I pasted into the custom roadrunner.xml file.
    Hey Folks,

Looks like I was about 90% successful.

WebOS World’s Very own Sprint Pre 2 Running Successfully! WebOS World

I'll put up a detailed how-to instructional soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey Folks,

Looks like I was about 90% successful.

WebOS World’s Very own Sprint Pre 2 Running Successfully! WebOS World

I'll put up a detailed how-to instructional soon.
    What's the high-level delta from post #16 ?

-- Rod
    Embarrassingly enough, it was the DMMODEL token (I beleive) coupled with using the 2.0.1 Doctor as opposed to the 2.0.0. I used the regular tokens from the Pre Plus swap as opposed to a reduced number of tokens to keep some ID numbers the same.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast