1.    #1  
    I have been a user of this site for a while now but I have not posted much. I mostly read. I felt compelled to post about my new unlocked Pre 2.

I bought it from HP on the day it was announced and I got free next day shipping because I asked the guy on the order line. I did not place the order on the web. I was worried about it supporting AT&T 3G bands so I had some questions.

I am happy to report it does support 3G bands for AT&T. It seems to get a little worse service than the iPhone 3GS in my house. I am not sure what the scale Palm uses for the bars is but it is all subjective I guess. My iPhone got 3 bars and the Pre 2 is getting 2 bars.

Battery life is pretty good. I took it off the charge at 9AM CST and 2 hours later it has 93%. I know that is not a great amount of time to judge but so far it is better than my Verizon or AT&T Pre Plus.

I have a SLIGHT wiggle when the phone is closed. It is better than both of my other Pre Pluses were. It also wiggles a little bit when opened. It is barely anything. It is just not rock solid stiff. I am pleased with it.

The screen is awesome. I love the clarity of the glass screen. I looks very rich. It is also very sensitive to touch. Sometimes I accidentally touch a button simply by brushing the screen very lightly. It is very nice.

The one issue I noticed with the screen is the glass is very slippery and while that is perfect for using it makes sliding the screen up more difficult. It is a weird thing to talk about but I used to slide the screen up with my thumb on the screen and pushing. My thumb now slides more. This is not a complaint, just and observation. The glass is great and I would not change it.

The matte finish on the phone is great. It is very grippy and easy to hold. I does not slip in the hand.

The phone is fast, very fast. Everything opens quickly with no lag

I will post more about it as I use it.

Please ask me any questions and I will answer what I can.

Thanks!
    Thanks for your review. Question please: How much memory does the Pre 2 have? My original Sprint Pre with its pathetic 8GB memory freezes too often when I have too many applications running.

Also, can you use the same accessories as the original Pre, or not? Such as the docking charger, USB cords, car charger, batteries, etc.

Thanks,
    Casey
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Thanks for your review. Question please: How much memory does the Pre 2 have? My original Sprint Pre with its pathetic 8GB memory freezes too often when I have too many applications running.

Also, can you use the same accessories as the original Pre, or not? Such as the docking charger, USB cords, car charger, batteries, etc.

Thanks,
    Casey
    Your Sprint Pre has 256MB memory and 8GB storage.

The Pre Plus and Pre 2 have 512MB memory and 16GB storage.

The Pre2's memory is about 20% faster than the Pre Plus' memory and the processor is double the speed with half the battery power consumption.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  4.    #4  
    I have been using the phone all day and it now has 71% battery remaining. I took it off the charger at 9 AM and it is now 4:55 PM. I took a bunch of pictures and movies while visiting the aquarium and read a bunch of email. I am syncing Exchange and gmail. I also leave wifi on, as well as bluetooth.

I have used my old Touchstone without a problem. I also inserted my Mugen 1400 battery and it worked and charged. I took it out for the battery testing I am doing. I don't have a case to try but I suspect it will not work because of the new contours of the phone.
    Reception has been fine all day. The ringer is nice and loud and so is the earpiece.
  5.    #5  
    I am very disappointed with the camera. I just looked at my pictures and videos from today and they are sub-par. The videos range from 16 frames/sec and a bitrate of 555kbps to 27 frames/sec and a bitrate of 1440kbps. I don't know why it is different. The movies in question were taken a few minutes from each other in the same lighting. They are bad.

The camera also tends to blur motion a great deal. Just having my daughter walk toward me blurred the picture. It also pixelates a great deal in lower light. I am talking about normal indoor lighting with 4 overhead can lights in my living room. It was not dark. People took pictures with an iphone 3GS, 4 and a Droid X and they did not have issues with the lighting.

I cannot find any settings for the camera at all. It is disheartening. I wanted this phone to be a good holdover phone until later in the year when the better Palm phones are released. The bad camera may be a killer for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartvoyager View Post
    I am very disappointed with the camera. I just looked at my pictures and videos from today and they are sub-par. The videos range from 16 frames/sec and a bitrate of 555kbps to 27 frames/sec and a bitrate of 1440kbps. I don't know why it is different. The movies in question were taken a few minutes from each other in the same lighting. They are bad.

The camera also tends to blur motion a great deal. Just having my daughter walk toward me blurred the picture. It also pixelates a great deal in lower light. I am talking about normal indoor lighting with 4 overhead can lights in my living room. It was not dark. People took pictures with an iphone 3GS, 4 and a Droid X and they did not have issues with the lighting.

I cannot find any settings for the camera at all. It is disheartening. I wanted this phone to be a good holdover phone until later in the year when the better Palm phones are released. The bad camera may be a killer for me.
    Hmm...

Comparisons to your existing Pre Plus? I've seen sample pics around the web and they look great. Try a reboot to see if the CMOS chip glitched on the first use? I've seen 3GS's hang on taking pics and go unresponsive until a reboot.
  7.    #7  
    I will give the reboot a try.