Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I will try and keep this brief, it will be far from comprehensive.

The build quality is solid, although as with any slider there is going to be some amount of wiggle. I would in no way call it an oreo effect. Everyone will have their own take on this.

The screen is nice. I like the flat glass. It doesn't impact the feel of the form factor in my hand negatively at all and I actually prefer it in my pocket since the screen lays flat against my leg. I don't feel like there is extra pressure on the screen like I did with my Pre minus.

Boot time is really much improved. Last night while getting Preware on my Pre 2, I restarted my Windows 7 laptop (high end samsung model) and my Pre 2 at the same time. Both were back up at the same time. I didn't expect that.

WebOS 2.0 is VERY snappy with the 1 GHz processor. I can say that 1GHz with 2.0 is so much faster than 1GHz OC'd on 1.4.5. How much of that is hardware or software can't be known until 2.0 is pushed out to our current devices.

Stacks are nice. I haven't manually configured any (if you can do that) but if I launch another app or card from an open app it will automatically stack when I put that card in card view. I can re-arrange the order of the stack with tap and hold. Really nice though.

The text assist features are nice, although I don't like a number of the built in autocorrect options so far. However the auto correct will make a sound when it does it so it alerts you to the change. It is normally just a second too late for me to tap backspace as I type pretty quickly on the Pre. The word is underlined in red when the auto correct is undone. You can tap the underlined word for an option to add it to the dictionary. For example, wifi wants to auto correct to wife. By tapping on the underlined wifi I was able to add it to my dictionary. Now it types fine. You also have the built in ability to add your own shortcuts. Thtat will be super useful.

The accounts manager section is really great too. You can add your accounts all from one place and turn on or off the features for those accounts all in one place (ie. contacts, mail, messaging, photo/video uploads, calendar). So choose what you sync and what you don't from each account based on what it does and has available.

The baked in add, remove, rename, rearrange launcher pages is nice, but not as slick IMHO as our homebrew patches. The overall look of the launcher and apps pages is still kind of clunky, but the feel is smooth. So right now it works great and just needs a new paint job. (I need some 4x4 icons and a glass effect). I also wish there was a hide launcher bar option. I am sure those will come pretty quickly though from our Homebrew community.

The email app runs well also. I only have my gmail coming in right now and it seems to be handled well.

Just type is very cool! How you use it will be based upon your preferences for what you do most.

Since I don't have a SIM based carrier, I can't test the SMS and phone apps yet.

I will close for now with re-stating just how fast everything on this phone seems. I am really impressed now and would have been even more impressed had this launched back when everyone expected a Pre replacement to come to Sprint. (June 2010).

If there is something someone would like for me to report on, just let me know. I will do my best to answer your questions.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Does video support 720p?
    Based on that review, I'd buy one. One thing you didn't mention was how the camera was for taking pictures. Do you have to be super still or prop it up on something to get non-blurry pictures? Also, how are up close pictures?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Good review, but am I correct in reading your are not using it as a phone? You said you have no sim based carrier.

Since you are well versed with the pre, I want a good comparison of battery life, but if your not using it as a phone then a comparison is pointless untill it's connected to a network.
    Thanks for the review. Now, let us find a way to have Sprint change their minds and carry the damn thing.
    what's your opinion on the keyboard
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    i don't know how important is this for others, but can you search email on the server or it only searches emails downloaded to your phone (e.g. last 3 weeks or 1 month etc.)?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by beelykemyke View Post
    Does video support 720p?
    Recording or playback? And please pardon my ignorance, but what is a quick and easy way to check that? (I don't play much with audio video stuff)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Recording or playback? And please pardon my ignorance, but what is a quick and easy way to check that? (I don't play much with audio video stuff)
    You can record a small video and email it to someone or post a link to an uploaded video.

Another way is to upload a small video to YouTube, but there is no way to know if webOS will upload the video to YouTube in 360p, 480p, or 720p.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Based on that review, I'd buy one. One thing you didn't mention was how the camera was for taking pictures. Do you have to be super still or prop it up on something to get non-blurry pictures? Also, how are up close pictures?
    It is better than my Pre minus, but will still require a steady hand.

On the close ups, I took two pics on each phone at about 6 inches from the subject and both look about the same (not great), it is probably the same lens.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Good review, but am I correct in reading your are not using it as a phone? You said you have no sim based carrier.

Since you are well versed with the pre, I want a good comparison of battery life, but if your not using it as a phone then a comparison is pointless untill it's connected to a network.
    You are correct. Sorry.... someone will do it soon though since all the devs at the Dev Day got free Pre 2's.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    what's your opinion on the keyboard
    Solid, non mushy, good tactile feel.

I have never had a bad keyboard on any of the Pre minuses I have had so I don't have much to compare to apart from reading others complaints.
    So, I take it that your final word on the Pre 2 would be completely awesome. (:
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    i don't know how important is this for others, but can you search email on the server or it only searches emails downloaded to your phone (e.g. last 3 weeks or 1 month etc.)?
    It appears to only search what is on the phone, although it searches in all of the folders I sync to the phone.

The length of time it shows the emails is configurable in the preferences for each account. You can configure anything from 1 day to 1 month all the way to ALL. I am sure that will be something that gets some homebrew tweaking for more options though.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    So, I take it that your final word on the Pre 2 would be completely awesome. (:
    Yes Rush... for sure. Well worth the $449 if you (like me) are a gadget junky and WebOS fanatic. And with the "bill me later" no payments or interest for 6 months payment option, it is a no brainer even at holiday time.

Even more so for the Devs who can score the $200 off coupon.

Of course, I still have my upgrade available for the next Super WebOS device to come to Sprint but I would pay full price even if I didn't.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    You can record a small video and email it to someone or post a link to an uploaded video.

Another way is to upload a small video to YouTube, but there is no way to know if webOS will upload the video to YouTube in 360p, 480p, or 720p.
    I will play with that a bit and see what I come up with.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    You are correct. Sorry.... someone will do it soon though since all the devs at the Dev Day got free Pre 2's.
    That's cool, I'm sure that question will be answered soon enough. I just want to hear it from a seasoned pre user that can get the best out of a pre's battery.
    Solid, non mushy, good tactile feel.

I have never had a bad keyboard on any of the Pre minuses I have had so I don't have much to compare to apart from reading others complaints.
    good to hear. how does it feel in comparison then, to your old Pre?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    good to hear. how does it feel in comparison then, to your old Pre?
    Both are good for me, no noticeable difference. YMMV
    Yes Rush... for sure. Well worth the $449 if you (like me) are a gadget junky and WebOS fanatic. And with the "bill me later" no payments or interest for 6 months payment option, it is a no brainer even at holiday time.

Even more so for the Devs who can score the $200 off coupon.

Of course, I still have my upgrade available for the next Super WebOS device to come to Sprint but I would pay full price even if I didn't.
    No doubt. I can't wait for my turn.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast