Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    If not, has anybody been able to install it and get it working?
    From what I understand those details will be released in the coming months.
    Understood re carrier could add/remove anything, but what about the unlocked Pre2 on HP's website right now? I would expect it to have mobile hotspot, but would love to get confirmation of this. thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Yes, mobile hotspot is included with the pre 2. However, the real question would be > will your carrier approve it.
    According to the Doctor, the app is not there but the service is.

Anyone care to try exporting the app from the Verizon doctor and try to install the ipk?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I have a Pre 2 and there isn't a mobile hotspot app.
    Global Posts
    732 Global Posts
    In the absence of native support, anyone tried MyTether yet?

My Pre2 is in the hands of UPS somewhere around the State of Indiana and moving south.
    No Hotspot included with HP shipped device.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    RUSH stick to fact please.
    Thanks on behalf of the community.
    That's what I read in the aticle. I stand corrected if I was mislead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Perhaps HotSpot is a propietary app from Verizon and they were talking about the Verizon Pre 2?
    Sorry I forgot.
    The Mobile Hotspot is in fact a Palm app, but they do not make it available if the carrier doesn't offer it.

I can't even find it in the catalog.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    The Mobile Hotspot is in fact a Palm app, but they do not make it available if the carrier doesn't offer it.

I can't even find it in the catalog.
    ...Maybe it only comes available once you're on that specific carrier.
    and it made a very brief but significant visit to the general app catalog
    Sorry for bumping this old thread (it was either this or making a new one) but maybe the people who own a palm pre 2 but do not have MHS installed on their devices could install the patched one from here:

How to Install Verizon Mobile Hotspot on Your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!

and just report back and tell the rest of us if it works. I currently have a Palm Pixi Plus on O2 UK pay-as-you-go and it works flawlessly on 1.4.5 although pretty sluggish. If webOS 2.0 does not support the patched version I might consider not upgrading my phone .

Thank you very much for your input!
    I got a UK palm store purchased Pre 2, and upon setting it up, I also did not have the Mobile Hotspot app in the list.

I talked with my carrier in Luxembourg, as I have an unlimited mobile data plan, they agreed that I could use the feature. Using Preware and an old version of the hotspot that you can find just about everywhere on the internet, I installed the old version and then Pre 2 immediately detected it and upgraded the version to 1.1.4 and I confirm it works better than what I had on my Pre minus before. (no need to install the Mytether patch os I used to need on the Pre- on 1.4.5)

In otherwords I get much better throughput on the Pre 2 with the hotspot than I can with my Pre minus, even when overclocked to 1Ghz.

The hotspot app still eats battery life, so yes, I still plug it in while using the feature.

Cheers, William
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyTT View Post
    I got a UK palm store purchased Pre 2, and upon setting it up, I also did not have the Mobile Hotspot app in the list.

I talked with my carrier in Luxembourg, as I have an unlimited mobile data plan, they agreed that I could use the feature. Using Preware and an old version of the hotspot that you can find just about everywhere on the internet, I installed the old version and then Pre 2 immediately detected it and upgraded the version to 1.1.4 and I confirm it works better than what I had on my Pre minus before. (no need to install the Mytether patch os I used to need on the Pre- on 1.4.5)

In otherwords I get much better throughput on the Pre 2 with the hotspot than I can with my Pre minus, even when overclocked to 1Ghz.

The hotspot app still eats battery life, so yes, I still plug it in while using the feature.

Cheers, William

Yours is working on the Pre 2?

TopTongueBarry and a couple of other users were working this and could not get it to pass data. I installed the oler patched app and IPforwarding patch and it connected but no data. I allowed the app to update and still no data pass between devices.

So please confirm what you did, versions, patch files, settings etc to make it work.
    All I did was:

Installed the webos quick install, and used the 2.0.1 doctor from the webosinternals page, so that I can load a package. (installed Preware but did not use it for anything else)

Then I grabbed the Mobile hotspot version 1.0.14 package, that you can find all over the internet and installed it on the Pre2. (see Livioo's post above)

As soon as the hotspot was on my Pre2 it detected it and the Software Manager immediately notified me an upgrade was available, which I installed and that's all. (No 'Free Tether' patch as on 1.4.5.)

I also did one complete reboot with battery taken out for good measure.

The whole thing took just a couple of minutes. (I am on 2.0.1)

Cheers, William
    Last edited by BillyTT; 12/01/2010 at 08:10 AM.
    Hmmm, I just Dr'ed again last night to 2.0.1 so I have a clean OS, I have the patched IPK for 1.0.14 and installed it, (did not install the IP fwd patch this time). Software manqager found and updated it. Restarted and still no data pass through. I am running on T-Mobile. I will get the unpatched IPK later when I get home and try again just to make sure. In the meantime I will see if TopTongueBarry can pop in and check this on his end.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyTT View Post
    All I did was:

Installed the webos quick install, and used the 2.0.1 doctor from the webosinternals page, so that I can load a package. (installed Preware but did not use it for anything else)

Then I grabbed the Mobile hotspot version 1.0.14 package, that you can find all over the internet and installed it on the Pre2. (see Livioo's post above)

As soon as the hotspot was on my Pre2 it detected it and the Software Manager immediately notified me an upgrade was available, which I installed and that's all. (No 'Free Tether' patch as on 1.4.5.)

I also did one complete reboot with battery taken out for good measure.

The whole thing took just a couple of minutes. (I am on 2.0.1)

Cheers, William
    William,
    Thank you so much for the good news. First I'm going to remove MHS versions and freetetherd, then put the version you suggest on and update it hoping to avoid doctoring, but your success is the best news I've woken up in the morning to hear in a long time!
    Appreciate it.
    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    William,
    I followed your instructions and still cannot report success. There is no Internet connectivity from my laptop although it connects to the MHS uap0 interface on the Pre 2 just fine and receives a DHCP IP address from MHS.

Barry
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Then in that case I'm willing to bet it's a combination of AT&T and MHS.

AT&T's blocking the access (DUN access), and MHS isn't reporting this properly (it should display a message saying it's not working).
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Then in that case I'm willing to bet it's a combination of AT&T and MHS.

AT&T's blocking the access (DUN access), and MHS isn't reporting this properly (it should display a message saying it's not working).

A very real possibility!

I think Rich is on T- Mobile and he's having the same trouble.

I used the method William described using the MHS already patched version at the link provided in the thread, then updated that from the app catalog. Still no Internet connectivity from my Laptop, just a connection to the Pre 2 via MHS with the laptop using the first assigned MHS DHCP pool IP address.

Took a look at the ifconfig output while the laptop was connected to the Pre 2. MHS creates an IP bridge when it is turned on that isnt there without it unless usbnet is previously enabled.

MHS also creates an interface identified as uap0. Ifconfig indicates no Ip address is assigned directly to the uap0 interface, but the bridge interface has the MHS DHCP server IP address assigned to it.

The laptop is assigned a DHCP IP address from MHS's DHCP IP Address pool, but as I've stated previously, the laptop has no Internet connectivity (whilst the Pre 2's browser remains Internet connected).

This actually makes partial sense since MHS uses the IP bridge, and on the Pre 2 dnsmasq is set by default to listen on the loopback interface and the bridge interface but on the Pre and Pre + dnsmasq listens only on the bridge interface by default.

It would seem both the Pre 2 device and the MHS wifi connected devices could have internet access with this configuration, but I'm not sure. One thing is for certain, I still do not have a connection available to the Internet from my laptop using MHS.

Its also a real possibility the tweaking I've been doing the past few days for MHS and Amazon app installs might be a factor. Rich and I are going to be doctoring and then trying again.

I must get some work done today so I won't be doctoring until tonight.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/01/2010 at 02:02 PM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast