I have been able to tether before with my original Palm Pre. In fact, the day I got my Pre (on July 6, 2009) I was able to tether using Bluetooth because tethering had been grandfathered onto my plan. What happened next was one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had with a carrier, and had it not been for the Pre I would have dropped Sprint then and there.
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry
On that day I got two new Pre phones. I was able to tether mine. My wife was not able to tether with hers. So I called Sprint to tell them that they needed to turn tethering ("phone as a modem" I think they called it) on for my wife's phone as well. One escalation after another led me to someone rather senior who told me that not only would it be impossible to add tethering to my wife's plan but that he'd gone ahead and removed the "glitch" from my plan as well.
Anyway, in the early days, one could achieve tethering by changing a 0 to 1 in a binary file. Then came some nice scripts to bridge networks. Then there was myTether. And finally, freetetherd.
This is the first time I've tried to tether a Palm Pre 2.
The screen shot I posted was from a Bluetooth connection test. But the same message appears when using MHS. On this phone I first tried MHS unpatched. Then I tried freetetherd. I haven't yet tried the patched version of MHS. But I've received the Auth Error since day one.
I'm happy to try anything you suggest. Perhaps a visit to the Doctor is in order just to be absolutely certain I didn't mess things up before attempting to tether by installing Preware or something.
Finally, I believe my service provider when they say that tethering is allowed on my account even though I haven't tried my SIM in any other device. It seems that people with iPhones and Androids have no issue tethering (when signing up with the same plan that I have).