Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Why do you use a patched version? Just download the Verizon 1.4.5 doctor, extract the unpatched Hotspot application, install it and upgrade it to 1.1.4 version. It will work for sure on Bell network, since they don't block the IP's. So after all, Toni might be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoove09 View Post
    Have you gotten this to work? Can you pass data onto another device?
    - Yes, that should work for Bell Canada since they don't block private IP's. Keep in mind we've only had CDMA devices on Bell using MHS up till now. We really don't know if that's also the case on Bell's HSDPA 3G GSM network until someone try's it out.

- We do know MHS unpatched will work without any modification on carriers who have blessed tethering, whether its paid for add on tethering or its tethering that's included in data plans.

- The script settethered tests for network type and doesn't turn on IP pass-thru if it detects a GSM network. Unfortunately, we can't validate anything else but it looks like it is designed to turn on and off IP pass-thru for tethering on CDMA networks. Maybe we can ask the guy who posted then removed a Verizon Pre 2 on eBay to test out MHS for us ?? ....

- Someone suggested that we try editing settethered. I hadn't yet gotten to trying that. I think I'll play with that file later tonight.

Barry
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    So I have my Palm Pre 2 in Costa Rica and, though i'm told that my service provider (ICE) allows tethering with their data plans, MHS and Bluetooth Access Point on the Pre both indicate that my service provider does not allow tethering.

I will confirm with ICE tomorrow whether or not tethering comes with their data packages. But posts and user experiences I've read about online indicate that tethering is available by default.

Any thoughts? I'm happy to experiment with the phone so if there's any specific information anyone wants or anything that would be helpful to try just let me know.

-Ash
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Here's some relevent changes in 2.x I discovered tonight:

Four files in /etc/passthru were changed between WebOS 1.4.5 and 2.0.0
    dun-enter-hook
    dun-exit-hook
    gadget-enter-hook
    gadget-exit-hook

A new folder was added, but I am not sure what it is used for yet:
    /etc/passthru-tests

Device is getting its carriernetwork db settings differently.
    there's a new file - take a gander at this one and see if anything jumps out at ya! /etc/carrierdb/carrierdb.json

Can't offer any more details yet, still investigating ...

TTB
    I dove into this. In the dun-enter-hook file, it seems that tethering is set to on by default.

#!/bin/sh

disablewan on
    settethered on

I'm not great with code so someone may be able to translate this better than I.

The gadget files mention a USB device several times.

The carrierdb file is huge. I searched it for the words tether and passthru and it found nothing. There are what looks to be IP addresses scattered throughout the file. Most of the info looks to be SMS and MMS settings for every carrier to have ever activated a phone. lol I'll dive further into the other files and see what I can find.
    Last edited by jhoove09; 12/20/2010 at 09:50 PM.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    Thanks to a tip from "Aurthorthorton", there's possibly a new path to resolution which bears investigation and testing.

Anybody here who understands the differences between WebOS 1.x dbus and WebOS2 luna services (ls2) is welcome to jump in on this.

A working MHS on a Pre 2 may just require a "custom ls2 file for ryan hope's freetetherd service".

It wouldn't surprise me if the fix is that simple. It may have been staring us in the face all along.

I have to go to work now and cannot work on this until late tonight. I never had a chance to work on the settethered file edit last night, so there's now two things sitting on the workbench.

This is a community effort so if anyone else happens to have time resources available, have at it. If there's no posts in here by the time I can get to those two things, I will move forward on 'em. Could be a day or two for me to get back on these.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/24/2010 at 03:37 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    I confirmed with ICE today that tethering is allowed and active on my account. I wonder what's going on.

Last edited by ashkon; 12/23/2010 at 12:28 PM.
    I wish that I understood the changes between WebOS 1.x dbus and WebOS2 luna services and could help out with this.
    Has anyone tried different settings of the DHCP server in MHS ? I am playing with these settings but no success (yet .
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkon View Post
    I wish that I understood the changes between WebOS 1.x dbus and WebOS2 luna services and could help out with this.
    You can... download a webOS 2.0.1 Dr., then extract the tar files to be able to explore the directory structure and related files/services that other apps use.

I have been using 7 zip file manager to explore and extract the files. It works pretty well and doesn't affect all other archive files on your computer by associating them with it.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    After PM discussions with several other members (not wanting to publicly be associated with defeating or breaking Palms implementation of measured data on the behalf of the carriers so they can charge for tethering services), I am convinced the problem we're tasked with eliminating is rooted in the lack of an ls2 (luna services 2) file for use with ryanshope freetetherd service as it was not necessary to be implemented in services for WebOS 1.xx versions.

I personally have dissected several Web OS 2.0.1 ls2 files (including Preware's) and another P|C member has given me what's turned out to be the basis for an ls2 file I can insert into the AT&T Navigator ipk. I am implementing and testing that to verify it works. Once I have completed the AT&T Navigator work, I will then be free to pursue the freetetherd service ls2 file creation, unless someone beats me to that (I wouldn't mind this if anyone feels skilled enough to attempt it).

Since I've only recently begun working on application development, I don't have much experience writing code. Even a short ls2 file can take me some time to get right.

Thanks to everyone here for their for continued support and input!

Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by kbywal View Post
    Has anyone tried different settings of the DHCP server in MHS ? I am playing with these settings but no success (yet .

Set MHS to use the 10.0.0.0/24 setting. You shouldn't need to customize it. That's the network the Pre 2 / WebOS 2 uses for the ethernet WiFI adapter without MHS when WiFi is enabled and should work just fine for MHS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkon View Post
    I confirmed with ICE today that tethering is allowed and active on my account. I wonder what's going on.

I find this interesting in your situation. Since your carrier allows you to tether and you have the tethering service added to your plan, tethering should work with just the default MHS 1.1.4 installed. No mods needed.

Had you previously experimented with anything else for tethering (IE; MyTether or ??????)
    Global Posts
    731 Global Posts
    TTB, thanks for your efforts on this. I am not skilled enough to assist beyond an idea here and there. But I appreciate your (hopefully on-going) efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I find this interesting in your situation. Since your carrier allows you to tether and you have the tethering service added to your plan, tethering should work with just the default MHS 1.1.4 installed. No mods needed.

Had you previously experimented with anything else for tethering (IE; MyTether or ??????)
    I have been able to tether before with my original Palm Pre. In fact, the day I got my Pre (on July 6, 2009) I was able to tether using Bluetooth because tethering had been grandfathered onto my plan. What happened next was one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had with a carrier, and had it not been for the Pre I would have dropped Sprint then and there.

On that day I got two new Pre phones. I was able to tether mine. My wife was not able to tether with hers. So I called Sprint to tell them that they needed to turn tethering ("phone as a modem" I think they called it) on for my wife's phone as well. One escalation after another led me to someone rather senior who told me that not only would it be impossible to add tethering to my wife's plan but that he'd gone ahead and removed the "glitch" from my plan as well.

Anyway, in the early days, one could achieve tethering by changing a 0 to 1 in a binary file. Then came some nice scripts to bridge networks. Then there was myTether. And finally, freetetherd.

This is the first time I've tried to tether a Palm Pre 2.

The screen shot I posted was from a Bluetooth connection test. But the same message appears when using MHS. On this phone I first tried MHS unpatched. Then I tried freetetherd. I haven't yet tried the patched version of MHS. But I've received the Auth Error since day one.

I'm happy to try anything you suggest. Perhaps a visit to the Doctor is in order just to be absolutely certain I didn't mess things up before attempting to tether by installing Preware or something.

Finally, I believe my service provider when they say that tethering is allowed on my account even though I haven't tried my SIM in any other device. It seems that people with iPhones and Androids have no issue tethering (when signing up with the same plan that I have).
    Interesting thread here.

Would it possible to just add the webOS 2.0 version of MHS and just have it work?
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoove09 View Post
    Interesting thread here.

Would it possible to just add the webOS 2.0 version of MHS and just have it work?
    Even with MHS 1.1.5 (includes bug fixes for WebOS2 - Palm has not released it yet) you'll still need a way to enable tethering if you're on a carrier who doesn't happen to support tethering,

I just posted in another thread about successfully getting AT&T Navigator and Amazon MP3 installed and 100% functional after creating the appropriate ls2 file structures and repackaging the ipk's. As we find more and more apps fixed after the addition of ls2, it seems likely that adding ls2 files to ryanshope freetetherd service might also be the solution for tethering, whether its being done using MHS 1.1.4 or MHS 1.1.5.

Stay tuned.
    so will you be making a ls2 file for mhs?
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    so will you be making a ls2 file for mhs?
    A couple of us are working on it. For this to work properly, the ls2 files have to be added to the ipk package and then the ipk has to be rebuilt.

If you're in a hurry, you should probably try to add the ls2 files yourself. You can use the information in a couple of posts located in either the Sprint Pre 2 conversion thread, or the AT&T Navigator working on a Pre 2 thread as a model for what we are trying to do with freetetherd. Otherwise, check back in here occasionally.

EDIT 6:10PM PST -
    Just verified the following:
    Since freetetherd is open source, any modifications to it can be distributed by us here.
    If this fix (adding ls2 services) works, you'll find the pkg updated in Preware soon. Stay tuned.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/24/2010 at 08:53 PM.
    No hurry I had just read your other thread as well as this one. I was experiencing the same no connection issue. A ls2 file is beyond my patching capability. Thanks for finding the issue.
    I read through this thread before I received my Pre 2, but don't remember if it was in this one, or one of the other tethering threads...

Anybody tried My Tether in webOS 2? I bought it for my Pre Plus, but haven't tried to install it on my 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by narcoleptic View Post
    I read through this thread before I received my Pre 2, but don't remember if it was in this one, or one of the other tethering threads...

Anybody tried My Tether in webOS 2? I bought it for my Pre Plus, but haven't tried to install it on my 2.
    My Tether won't work. Its java based.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast