Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm curious if anyone has taken apart the Palm Pre 2. If it uses a similar radio module as the Pre, we could potentially swap in a Sprint Pre radio module as an example. If possible, I'd consider buying the unlocked one from HP.
    here are pics showing the backs of both side by side, looking at it, it does look like it could work, has anyone tried this yet?

http://www.webosroundup.com/2010/11/palm-pre-2-review/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rod Whitby of WebOS Internals has carried his comm board swap kit with him to the WebOS Dev Days in NYC to find out if this very thing can be done.

He tweeted it last night and again this morning.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 11/19/2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: tweet addition
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    here are pics showing the backs of both side by side, looking at it, it does look like it could work, has anyone tried this yet?

Palm Pre 2 Review | webOSroundup
    that certainly looks like it would work. i think i'm gonna give this a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    that certainly looks like it would work. i think i'm gonna give this a try.
    if you do let us know, though the above post stated that ROD is double checking for us today (and I say his retreat too) so Id wait a bit and see if ROD can conferm it or not. This would be great for us Sprint pre minus people ( I just upgraded my pre to a pluss version from a very helpfull person on here), but a pre 2 swap would be sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    if you do let us know, though the above post stated that ROD is double checking for us today (and I say his retreat too) so Id wait a bit and see if ROD can conferm it or not. This would be great for us Sprint pre minus people ( I just upgraded my pre to a pluss version from a very helpfull person on here), but a pre 2 swap would be sick.
    I said he carried his kit, not that it is being done today. Quote from Rod's Tweet...

"Brought my comms board swap toolkit to #webOSdev day - sounds like it might come in handy tomorrow for some people..."
    This likely means someone there has already won or will win a Pre 2 in a give away from HP Palm of some kind and will be giving this a go very soon.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I said he carried his kit, not that it is being done today. Quote from Rod's Tweet...

This likely means someone there has already won or will win a Pre 2 in a give away from HP Palm of some kind and will be giving this a go very soon.
    correct I read the tweet too, Im not saying hes there with his kit taken apart a pre and pre 2, only that hes going to look at the device prob, and see if he can get a idea of if it can be done or not. Unless he buys a device himself, Im pretty sure their not going to let him swap the boards out right in front of them.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    if this works I may be developing for webOS really soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by McRoth View Post
    if this works I may be developing for webOS really soon!
    You can buy the phone without the dev coupon, I did. It is worth every penny. And if they can do the swap, I'll do that too!
    It'll take more than just swapping boards. If compatible youll still need a compatible meta dr as well as the official 2.0 dr for Sprint so even if it is possible it'll be a while b4 we can use P2 on Sprint.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    darn it, of course it can't be that easy .
    why can't you just swap comm boards and run 1.4.5 on the new sprint pre 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    why can't you just swap comm boards and run 1.4.5 on the new sprint pre 2?
    Because the kernel for the Pre2 (that is what controls the processor and other hardware -- mostly processor) requires things in webOS 2.0 and not in 1.4.5

Additionally, it may never be possible to do a Sprint Pre 2.

The reason we can currently swap a VZW device to Sprint (or an AT&T device) is that they are all model Castle. They all receive an OTA update for the Castle model and therefore they get the proper modem update.

Now what happens if when an OTA update comes it overwrites your nice Sprint modem with GSM firmware? You brick your device.

This could very well require that you use a meta doctor for EACH and EVERY webOS update just to ensure it doesn't brick it. At the very least, if you try this, BLOCK the updates until webOS Internals can do some proper testing (or somebody in the USA can test if a Sprint device maintains its Sprint modem firmware even throughout the update) to ensure it works with OTA updates. Maybe Palm will even be generous enough to push a webOS 2.0.2 update out to select devices just to test if this works. I doubt they would, but you never know.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    So a Sprint Minus comm board swap with an ATT Plus is possible?
    Last edited by Mannyman; 11/19/2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: der
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    So a Sprint Minus comm board swap with an ATT Plus is possible?
    Yes, that is discussed in the Pre-to-Pre-Plus thread. You just need to swap the entire back (radios and comm board)
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I believe webos internals is trying to swap comm boards today with a sprint pre and a pre 2. This is from a webosinternals tweet. Should hear more later.
    Never use the word DONT or CANT with webositernals!!!!!!!

PalmFlashCards

Looking forward to the 1st Pre 2 on Sprint today (Franken-Pre), all thanks to @webosinternals and the #webOSdev Oprah moment.
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    update pre weboswolrd:

"almost complete, trying to verify data connection, rebooting and validating.....partial success #webodev sprint pre2 mod.....more info to come.
    update its official sprint palm pre 2 converted and working
    Huzzah for Internalz!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast