Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Received my Pre 2 two days ago, and first thing I noticed when I picked it up is a slight sideways wobble (3-4 mm), equally when it's closed and open. Since I haven't used the previous Pres I can't say if it's normal/better/worse than before.

Anyone else experience this with their new Pre 2s, or do you have rock-solid sliders without the slightest hint of "slack"?
    Palm Vx (a classic) -> Palm m505 (*yawn*) -> Dell Axim (slooow...!) -> Palm TE (great) -> Qtek 9090 (great idea, lousy platform) -> Nokia 6630 (a toy) -> iMate SP3i (not bad) -> Nokia 9300 (can't sync notes!!) -> Treo 650 (awesome!) -> iPaq hw6915 (almost perfect) -> Nokia E51 (un/impressive) -> HTC Touch Enhanced (nice!) -> Samsung i780 (mousepad woes) -> HTC s740 (very good) -> Nokia E72 (RAM starved) -> HTC HD mini (...) -> Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by hduty View Post
    Received my Pre 2 two days ago, and first thing I noticed when I picked it up is a slight sideways wobble (3-4 mm), equally when it's closed and open. Since I haven't used the previous Pres I can't say if it's normal/better/worse than before.

Anyone else experience this with their new Pre 2s, or do you have rock-solid sliders without the slightest hint of "slack"?
    Mine isn't rock-solid either but waaay better than my old pre-, I wouldn't say it's as much as 3-4mm though. In comparison to the pre- you could almost say it's rock-solid actually. :P
    I have a palm pre refurbish that I've received a few days ago. Its robustly made over or something, and as solid as it feels and look - if you pull it to either side it will wobble a little or more depending on how hard you twist it. The pre 2 is basically the same... Its a slider phone that moves up and down, it has to have a little play - not too much though. I would say > don't worry about it too much. The pre 2 is a lot better than the pre/plus.

Note: I've played with other slider phones...and the two halves feel like there coming apart.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I probably exaggerated a little with the 3-4mm. I took a close look when it's closed (and easy to see how much it actually moves) and then moved the top half sideways, and it's only 1-2mm. I.e. it's easily noticeable, but to be fair the wobble is very small.

Based on your experience it sounds normal then; as long as it doesn't get any worse (not that it's bad now) it's a non-issue.

Thanks
    Palm Vx (a classic) -> Palm m505 (*yawn*) -> Dell Axim (slooow...!) -> Palm TE (great) -> Qtek 9090 (great idea, lousy platform) -> Nokia 6630 (a toy) -> iMate SP3i (not bad) -> Nokia 9300 (can't sync notes!!) -> Treo 650 (awesome!) -> iPaq hw6915 (almost perfect) -> Nokia E51 (un/impressive) -> HTC Touch Enhanced (nice!) -> Samsung i780 (mousepad woes) -> HTC s740 (very good) -> Nokia E72 (RAM starved) -> HTC HD mini (...) -> Palm Pre 2
    I don't understand how a vertical slider phone can still wobble in 2010 when there was no such problem with vertical slider phones in 2004 (PPC-6600, Sch-i730).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I don't understand how a vertical slider phone can still wobble in 2010 when there was no such problem with vertical slider phones in 2004 (PPC-6600, Sch-
    i730).
    Unhappy workers that don't give a damn
    Which probably leads me to think my hypothesis was correct. The changes in the Pre 2 are in the top half only, and a new camera unit.

Sounds like the slider unit is still the Pre Plus one.

Speaking of which... anyone with a Pre 2 care to take some pictures of the back with the lid off and battery out?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Mine wobbles a bit too, actually more than the Pre I have.
    Someone ever tried to decrease the wobbling? Is this even possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Which probably leads me to think my hypothesis was correct. The changes in the Pre 2 are in the top half only, and a new camera unit.

Speaking of which... anyone with a Pre 2 care to take some pictures of the back with the lid off and battery out?
    I will for sure this afternoon when I pick mine up and head home to PLAY!

That is, if someone else doesn't get it done first.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Here we go again, lol. There has to be a little play because of the curved slider. Palm haters feel free to jump in because that is what you do.
    I only WISH I had a Pre 2 with oreo effect
    Does the GRT case fit the Pre 2? I use it on my Pre and find that it adds some good stability to the slider.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Does the GRT case fit the Pre 2? I use it on my Pre and find that it adds some good stability to the slider.
    The chassis design did change a little so things like that or form-fit casings prolly wont fit. The Pre 2 site higher on the desk than my Pre both using touchstone cover. Doesnt hurt to try though without using force obviously.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

Okay, I have it in my hands as I type this from my Pre 2. I don't consider this to be an Oreo effect at al. The phone feels very solid indeed.

I am not going to take the pictures of the radios though. Someone already posted some good ones in the Pre 2 radio swap thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Unhappy workers that don't give a damn

You mean unhappy Chinese workers that don't give a damn.
    Yep, the backs looks pretty much the same.

I'm 90% confident parts are exchangeable.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I suspected this would happen. Wow. I just lost a little faith in Palm.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    The slider mechanism is the same as pre plus

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    hmmm my palm pre plus has zero oreo
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast