Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Screen Loose? You might wanna try this... - Android Forums

Quote Originally Posted by oceanrealm View Post
    Check out the link below, for those who think that vertical sliders "should" have no engineering issues in this day and age

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/wiggle-fix-513165/
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    True, but if you take a corvette and put a lamborghini engine in it....then you've got a bad *** corvette! Just sayin.
    Why would I want to do that? It's been proved that Chevy small blocks have better weight to power ratio than the Italian and German exotic engines. The 7L LS2 Z06 engine is much less complex than the BMW M5 5.5L V10 and is lighter, and develops comparable power and torque.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Who's talking about advancements? I'm talking about reversion.
    Indeed you were. My point is still the same (and its an amplification of your point)--there's no engineering reason why the design should be lacking.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Why would I want to do that? It's been proved that Chevy small blocks have better weight to power ratio than the Italian and German exotic engines. The 7L LS2 Z06 engine is much less complex than the BMW M5 5.5L V10 and is lighter, and develops comparable power and torque.
    WOAH! Way over my head there Toni.
    Check out the link below, for those who think that vertical sliders "should" have no engineering issues in this day and age

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/wiggle-fix-513165/
    So the solution to the Pre/Pre+/Pre2 defective vertical slider is ... other phones have that problem too? Is this supposed to make Pre/Pre+/Pre2 owners feel better about their phone? Are you by any chance a member of the Palm engineering team?
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    BlackBerry Torch too?! Sad
    No apologies for any manufactures/engineers (neither of which/whom am I involved or associated with). Simply stating the obvious (but apparently not to some), that the "oreo effect" or "wobble" or "wiggle" are clearly problems outside of Palm phones, too. After reading these forums, one might think that Palm invented the "slider" issues. That the slider issue was "solved" back in 2004 - based on "your opinion" - clearly defies present-day observations that several slider phones today (including but not limited to Palm) have the problem. Either engineering has regressed due to slack manufacturing processes, or perhaps it has been confounded by new features... I don't know. By the way, even the Epic has "slider" issues... for "some" users!!!

Epic build quality? [Archive] - SprintUsers.com

No one that has a loose/faulty slider should be pleased; however, it is not exclusively a Palm issue as some might suggest! For those wondering whether 1mm play is normal, the suggestion to stop trying to wiggle it is probably the most sage advice For those with more serious issues - regardless of phone brand or manufacturer - they should either seek a replacement or switch to another phone. I've had the Sprint Palm Pre since June 2009. Replaced it earlier this year due to my negligence (water damage from applying a screen protector). Both units had less than 1 mm "wiggle" - which I found to be a non-factor

So the solution to the Pre/Pre+/Pre2 defective vertical slider is ... other phones have that problem too? Is this supposed to make Pre/Pre+/Pre2 owners feel better about their phone? Are you by any chance a member of the Palm engineering team?
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    WOAH! Way over my head there Toni.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    IMO... the slight wiggle is for shock absorption for when people drop their device. I think a completely solid slider would take full brunt of the impact when dropped and make for the device to break at that point much more easily. With some space, it could be dropped quite a bit more before falling apart.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Which is the whole point. The phone's slider could be constructed to not wiggle/twist at all. However due to continued poor design, continued poor/inconsistent manufacture, or a combination of the two, even the new Pre 2's hardware quality is in question. Poor hardware quality has a Palm trademark since the Treo 600. Hopefully HP can do something about this in future models.
    It is simply a poor design. I hope that engineer left the company and/or Seriously learned from his/her mistakes.... There is a reason that cars are expensive, especially high spec / low tolerance Maserati, Lamborghini, etc. The mechanical design has to be beautiful, functional, and flawless in execution. I rate those an 7, 2, and 1 on Palm's slider. Just sayin

Edit: I want to add that function should trump form, and the design problem here is that form was leading function. Someone really wanted the riverstone look so the slider had to be fit into a curved body, reducing the track length and generally mucking things up. If it was flat, you'd better believe it would be better.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    How about if you stop wobbling to test if it has oreo?

I'm positive 80% of the oreo-problems are caused by people constantly twisting the device to see if the oreo got worse!
    I'm afraid my own empirical evidence says that you are mistaken.

My wife and I bought Pre's in Nov 2010. Both were solid. Both had weird issues that seemed to be hardware related (keyboard, display) and were returned before 30 day exchange was over. Two new Pre's - one solid, one not quite as solid. I didn't discover the problem with the no so solid one until after I got home. The problem is liveable - but it's distinctly sloppier than the other and was never "tested".

Looking at the slider it appears that one side of the system may be screwed in but hidden under the rest of the phone. I seriously wonder if poor attention to detail on the part of those assembling the phone is at fault.

I have another friend who has had 5 pre's (Sprint) and they have ALL had a degree of Oreo but have varied quite a bit.

As for design? It's a compromise - weight, space, cost, durability all play a role. Sliders are harder to optimize than soap bars.
    My Pre 2 also has a bit of oreo, but the real problem is that it creaks terribly in the hand every time I apply a little force to the hinge. Is there anything I can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    My Pre 2 also has a bit of oreo, but the real problem is that it creaks terribly in the hand every time I apply a little force to the hinge. Is there anything I can do?
    I also have a new Pre 2. The slider is a little wobbly, but as long as I'm convinced that it doesn't get any worse, I'm okay with it.

I'm also a little upset about the keyboard. I'm finding that typing into it, makes creaking noises from the back cover. Makes typing very noisy and unpleasant. Any one else with this issue?
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Yeah, same
    It seems to be getting worse. Especially the creaking with the backcover. Its driving me insane. So far, by comparison, my Pre Plus seems 5 times more sturdy than my Pre 2. Is this normal, or should I look into getting it fixed replaced?
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I don't understand how a vertical slider phone can still wobble in 2010 when there was no such problem with vertical slider phones in 2004 (PPC-6600, Sch-i730).
    Because unlike those phones, this one has a curvature to it. The phone is going to do it slightly due to the design choice.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I bought a Verizon Pre 2 on release day. When I got it it was very solid, but I had to send it back 2 weeks later as the phone would always randomly shutdown and the gps didn't work. The new unit I was sent has the oreo effect quite badly out of the box. I'm not sure whether to bother sending it back as I might get another phone with something else wrong.

As a former Pixi user, I'm not sure how bad this Pre2 is relatively. It has 1-2mm of wiggle. I'm still within the 14 day DOA window.
    is the oreo effect just an aesthetic issue and will not in any way affect functionality of the pre phones?
    I slight movement is to expected with a slider.
    The oreo effect is something obvious, you won't be saying; 'I think I have a slight oreo effect' You'll know it.
    Just call me Berd.
    so when it happens is it a purely physical / hardware problem that won't affect functionality OR will some point in time destroy the motherboard, display or even brick the phone?

thanks
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123