Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just ordered mine from HP Unlocked. I hope that it has as little Oreo as the refurb I have, which feels pretty well put together.
    This is all I needed to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    hmmm my palm pre plus has zero oreo
    Which is the whole point. The phone's slider could be constructed to not wiggle/twist at all. However due to continued poor design, continued poor/inconsistent manufacture, or a combination of the two, even the new Pre 2's hardware quality is in question. Poor hardware quality has a Palm trademark since the Treo 600. Hopefully HP can do something about this in future models.
    How about if you stop wobbling to test if it has oreo?

I'm positive 80% of the oreo-problems are caused by people constantly twisting the device to see if the oreo got worse!

I'm still on my Pre minus #1 and the slider is still as good (or) bad as it was when I got it - I admit it's a fragile slider nechanism, but if you use it for sliding and not twisting it does an amazing job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Which is the whole point. The phone's slider could be constructed to not wiggle/twist at all. However due to continued poor design, continued poor/inconsistent manufacture, or a combination of the two, even the new Pre 2's hardware quality is in question. Poor hardware quality has a Palm trademark since the Treo 600. Hopefully HP can do something about this in future models.
    Do you have one in hand Kupe?

My Pre2 is as solid as can be, I don't see any quality issue with this build. I had an Epic and it had a little play in the slider as well.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    How about if you stop wobbling to test if it has oreo?

I'm positive 80% of the oreo-problems are caused by people constantly twisting the device to see if the oreo got worse!

I'm still on my Pre minus #1 and the slider is still as good (or) bad as it was when I got it - I admit it's a fragile slider nechanism, but if you use it for sliding and not twisting it does an amazing job!
    I agree. Twisting both halves of the device is one of the main cause for the famous (Oreo Effect). I dont even try to see if my refurbish palm pre has any wiggle/twist at all.

I only open the slider when I'm on Pre/Central Forums.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I agree. Twisting both halves of the device is one of the main cause for the famous (Oreo Effect). I dont even try to see if my refurbish palm pre has any wiggle/twist at all.
    I have a (just after) launch day Pre and you don't have to twist it to know that it has a serious oreo problem. It doesn't really bother me, but I'm sure not laying down more money for another phone with the same flaw. Unless one falls in my lap, I think I'll just wait for the next device.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Do you have one in hand Kupe?

My Pre2 is as solid as can be, I don't see any quality issue with this build. I had an Epic and it had a little play in the slider as well.
    I'm happy for you. I'm also bothered that you can have a "solid as can be" Pre 2 yet others are experiencing looseness in the slider device. Once again, this signifies inconsistent manufacturing, bad engineering (carried over from the Pre), or a combination of the two. This isn't a good trend for a hardware version 2.0 that they've had ~2 years to fix.
    I'm happy for you. I'm also bothered that you can have a "solid as can be" Pre 2 yet others are experiencing looseness in the slider device. Once again, this signifies inconsistent manufacturing, bad engineering (carried over from the Pre), or a combination of the two. This isn't a good trend for a hardware version 2.0 that they've had ~2 years to fix.
    No need to be bothered. It's a very subjective observation on the part of the person in posession of said object. When one hits a Verizon store where you are located, go check it for yourself. Although as someone else pointed out, there is no intended function achieved by twisting the two halves either open or closed on the device. It's kind of like checking to see if your car windshield will break if you smack it with a hammer, because others reported glass that may break with only a small amount of force.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    No need to be bothered. It's a very subjective observation on the part of the person in posession of said object. When one hits a Verizon store where you are located, go check it for yourself. Although as someone else pointed out, there is no intended function achieved by twisting the two halves either open or closed on the device. It's kind of like checking to see if your car windshield will break if you smack it with a hammer, because others reported glass that may break with only a small amount of force.
    A more meaningful analogy would be a wobbly table at a restaurant.

- It doesn't take any real effort to find out your table wobbles in the normal course of using it.
    - It's simple enough to fix the wobble by jury rigging a table leg with something keep it from wobbling.
    - Having wobbly tables speaks volumes about the quality of the table's manufacturer and the restaurant that chooses to use them.
    - A wobbly table makes you wonder what other parts of the table might be poorly designed/manufactured.
    - The fact that some tables wobble and others don't wobble wouldn't make me think, "Hey, I might like one of these in my own dining room."

Or you could just accept the wobbliness and say things like, "My table's fine." or "Tables don't wobble unless someone causes them to wobble." or "It doesn't wobble very much - it's a perfectly usable wobble." As for myself, I don't buy wobbly tables.
    LOL.... Or the floor that table is setting on isn't perfectly level...

Table is to floor as phone is to user.

That doesn't mean there aren't poorly made tables that wobble, but not every table that wobbles is a poorly made table.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    I can tell you that between my Verizon Pre Plus & the brand new unlocked Pre 2, the Pre 2 slider is even more solid & no oreo here whatsoever with either Pre. The Pre 2's top half is much more solid & sliding mechanism appears a little more solid than Pre Plus, but never had a problem with Pre Plus slider so far.
    I don't understand how a vertical slider phone can still wobble in 2010 when there was no such problem with vertical slider phones in 2004 (PPC-6600, Sch-i730).
    I sincerely doubt that there is anything in any slider phone mechanism that would have been breaking new engineering ground in the late 19th century, so it seems kind of trivial to talk about advancements in the last 6 years.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    It does seem that there have been fewer and fewer oreo complaints around here, so hopefully the quality control has improved. Still, the design seems to be able to be put together incorrectly, so I'm guessing we'll see some with the Pre 2.

I have a brand new refurbished Pre minus, and the total deflection at the top from full CCW to full CW twist is less than 1mm. So it's possible to put this design together well enough to provide a quality feel, as Kupe notes. Palm's problems with this have been more about quality control than design, IMO, and this is something HP-Palm will have to do a better job of in the future. Only time will tell if they got it right on the Pre 2.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I sincerely doubt that there is anything in any slider phone mechanism that would have been breaking new engineering ground in the late 19th century, so it seems kind of trivial to talk about advancements in the last 6 years.
    Who's talking about advancements? I'm talking about reversion.
    Lol, same ole Palm, different day....imagine that. Is anyone REALLY surprised, really?
    If you take a clunker from the junkyard & put in a Ferrari engine, you just have a really fast clunker...just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    If you take a clunker from the junkyard & put in a Ferrari engine, you just have a really fast clunker...just sayin.
    True, but if you take a corvette and put a lamborghini engine in it....then you've got a bad *** corvette! Just sayin.
    A more meaningful analogy would be a wobbly table at a restaurant.

- It doesn't take any real effort to find out your table wobbles in the normal course of using it.
    - It's simple enough to fix the wobble by jury rigging a table leg with something keep it from wobbling.
    - Having wobbly tables speaks volumes about the quality of the table's manufacturer and the restaurant that chooses to use them.
    - A wobbly table makes you wonder what other parts of the table might be poorly designed/manufactured.
    - The fact that some tables wobble and others don't wobble wouldn't make me think, "Hey, I might like one of these in my own dining room."

Or you could just accept the wobbliness and say things like, "My table's fine." or "Tables don't wobble unless someone causes them to wobble." or "It doesn't wobble very much - it's a perfectly usable wobble." As for myself, I don't buy wobbly tables.
    It's like this is 2009 and we're discussing the same issues. Someone mentioned that this issue isn't brought up as much. I'd say its more acceptance of the issue.

If this form factor was offered as an afterthought to a more solid slab, candybar, and even a landscape slider, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. But as the only webOS 2 device, palm's current flagship, it's a big deal.

It's Palm's third attempt on this failed design. Brand killer?
    Check out the link below, for those who think that vertical sliders "should" have no engineering issues in this day and age

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/wiggle-fix-513165/
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast