1.    #1  
    Oh My G-d I love this phone

It really feels like HP/Palm heard everyone's complaints and really worked to make a great device better.

A few tidbits not in the article:

• HP *will* continue to have a relationship with Sprint post Pre. They wouldn't give details but said not to jump ship just yet.
    • There are plans for an LTE WebOS device on T-Mobile.
    • The PalmPad is on track for 2011. The rep couldn't say much more except it would be worth the wait.
    • HP loves WebOS. Seriously. The guy I spoke to was a former Palm employee, but he said HP has been great. Other people there who had originally been HP employees couldn't stop talking about how much they loved the OS.

Let's hope the reality lives up to the hype!
    In other words....the same old "be patient...please?" Line.

Words about what is coming mean less than nothing at this point.
  3.    #3  
    I think an actual "we'll have devices on Sprint and T-Mobile" is a bit more than "be patient, please?"

Not that you have any reason to believe me or buy into it, but I think it's a lot easier to be patient when there's some form of verification that you're not just sitting there, waiting for nothing (see: Docs2Go).

Shoot. That reminds me. I forgot to ask for a QuickOffice demo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad View Post
    I think an actual "we'll have devices on Sprint and T-Mobile" is a bit more than "be patient, please?"

Not that you have any reason to believe me or buy into it, but I think it's a lot easier to be patient when there's some form of verification that you're not just sitting there, waiting for nothing (see: Docs2Go).

Shoot. That reminds me. I forgot to ask for a QuickOffice demo!
    It's not a matter of not believing you or even not believing them. It's a matter of this platform having been stagnant for so long that tangible proof of forward momentum is needed to take them seriously. New MAJOR apps announced, new hardware shown and demoed, and new carrier agreements officially announced instead of offhand remarks dropped at some event off the record.

From Rahul Sood to Rubinstein to Todd Bradley, there has been no shortage of talk about what they're going to do. Meanwhile, we are experiencing every day what their competitors ARE doing and SEEING what's next.
  5.    #5  
    Is "stagnant" really the right word though? It's under constant development, with updates, new SDKs, etc. I'd say it's more a "bottleneck". There's cool stuff, but so far nothing that's hitting the general consumer beyond .x updates.

Maybe it comes from remembering Palm OS 5. Not *that* was stagnation. There was nothing there. No updates, no support... nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad View Post
    Is "stagnant" really the right word though? It's under constant development, with updates, new SDKs, etc. I'd say it's more a "bottleneck". There's cool stuff, but so far nothing that's hitting the general consumer beyond .x updates.

Maybe it comes from remembering Palm OS 5. Not *that* was stagnation. There was nothing there. No updates, no support... nothing.
    True, but it's pretty much the same as the former as far as the customer goes, and that's what matters. I'm sure people at Palm and HP are busy doing something during the day. But until that translates into something new (let's face it: incremental updates like WebOS 2.0 and the Palm Pre 2 produce very little excitement), they might as well be PalmOS releasing Treo after Treo after Treo.
    If a significant number of the people bought their Pre from Sprint won't be able to get an upgrade until after June, why would HP want to rush a new phone to the market? So the PreCentral whiners can have something new to complain about?
    Sprint has yearly upgrades for people who have smartphones like the Pre.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    If a significant number of the people bought their Pre from Sprint won't be able to get an upgrade until after June, why would HP want to rush a new phone to the market? So the PreCentral whiners can have something new to complain about?
    We get one year upgrades at sprint, we have been able to upgrade since June of 2010. There are those of us who have not used our upgrade and those who have left the platform.

They better hurry up with a phone because WP7 is gonna steal more people from palm when it lands on sprint. They better get with it "coming months" is not cutting it.
    I agree a tad bit with Mikah on this one. Though they state things around the clock, they still show a very slow movement regarding Webos launching on smartphones and tablets. Understanding they just bought palm in july, though like Apple they have already have info on the ipad 2 when the palmpad we havent even heard specs on. Even the playbook is stated to come out Q1 2011 like the palmpad, and they have hands on already multiple times, and we have yet to see a picture. To me all im saying is I have a line on sprint and don't have a problem waiting for the next device (though I have tried the EVO for a couple of months), though if they would give us something like more confermed dates (not the in the coming months), give us some pics even if its the back of a smartphone being made it would help. If they would give us some specs, some carriers they are talking to, reasons why they only launch on certain carriers and not others, people would be more inclined to stay and support webos, and not say the F with them. Again just my opinion on most peoples frusterations, with the, "in the coming months" statement, or sit tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Upgraders are not the only reason to make new products available. If the Pre 2 were available on Sprint, I would seriously consider getting it for my wife who has an old (non-pre) phone on its last legs with another carrier.

As it is, contrary to what Sprint might think, none of the current smartphone offerings from Sprint appear very attractive.

John
    But the question is still valid: why do you want HP to rush a new phone to market?
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    So that they have something for the holidays and the sell to people desperate for a new phone? So that developers will be able to optimize their apps for the next generations of palm processors? So that they can get rid of images of having poorly constructed devices? To prove that HP actually will play in the market?

I have the question: would you rather have this and a bunch of new phones next year, or just a bunch of new phones next year? I mean, it isn't as if this will cause a net loss in sales once all is said and done.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    They never promised new devices this year. The reason they keep saying wait is because people keep asking. Can't blame them for that.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta