Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Are we missing something from your post here? I am not sure what your issue is.
    I think he is referring to the fact that the Pre/Pre+/Pre2 do not have the required 3G bands to work outside the US or more accurately outside of the AT&T network in the US. Geographically limiting the ability of a GSM phone, defeats the very objective of GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications). Palm has always had this habit of locking themselves out of the global market. It's no wonder 'PALM' is now no more. Unfortunately though, this is the one aspect in which HP seems to be following on in Palm's footsteps.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I think he is referring to the fact that the Pre/Pre+/Pre2 do not have the required 3G bands to work outside the US or more accurately outside of the AT&T network in the US. Geographically limiting the ability of a GSM phone, defeats the very objective of GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications). Palm has always had this habit of locking themselves out of the global market. It's no wonder 'PALM' is now no more. Unfortunately though, this is the one aspect in which HP seems to be following on in Palm's footsteps.
    Ah, I see. Makes sense now when I re-read his post. The Pre 2, Veer and Pre 3 were all products already in the pipeline coming out of Palm. But at least with respect to the Pre 3. It appears that it is going to be a fully compatible world phone. So let's hope that is true. I do some traveling to Europe and would love to only have one phone to use here and there. As it is now, I have an unlocked German Pre for use when I go there and if I want my apps available there, I have to load my profile, which means a re-load of my primary phone when I come back.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  3. bnceo's Avatar
    Posts
    533 Posts
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    #43  
    Could the OP update this list with the local carriers for Peru (South America)? I'm going there in the summer and I plan to use my Pre2 there as a prepaid device for the three weeks I'm there.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Could the OP update this list with the local carriers for Peru (South America)? I'm going there in the summer and I plan to use my Pre2 there as a prepaid device for the three weeks I'm there.
    Carrier: Claro
    Frequency: 1900 MHz
    (3G using a North American Pre 2 should work on this network)

    NOTE: Worldwide UTMS Frequency (MHz) listings sorted by country and carrier have now been added to the OP. Enjoy!

    Here's just the America's (North and South):



    TTB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 02/19/2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added UTMS Frequency listings.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Straight Talk is a TracFone brand, which is a reseller of Verizon Wireless services.

    But it also seems like Straight Talk got a GSM network reselling T-Mobile. That means that it would be limited to EDGE (2.5G)


    The GSM Pre2 should work with any GSM carrier. Just make sure you're getting a good deal for data usage, as it is known to use 200MB in 20 days or less just for backups and sending various data to Palm's servers.

    Can the data usage be disabled or done only when WiFi is available?
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSfever View Post
    Can the data usage be disabled or done only when WiFi is available?
    I think Trac-Fone's (and SIM'S) are now running on AT&T's 850 - 1900 MHz network. Doesn't really matter though. The phone's IMEI and the SIM ID are tied together in the Trac-Fone system with super glue (not literally though). You'll never get one to work without the other.

    Easiest thing to do is to purchase an AT&T Go-Phone SIM and set up the account with instructions detailed in a separate thread here. So far, this has worked for everyone wanting to use their Pre 2 with a Pre-Paid acct.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  7. #47  
    Okay, I'm still lost.

    I'm currently using a Sprint Pre (rollout version), but just found out I'm relocating to the UK. I like the Pre so much that I bought an unlocked GSM Pre 2. Are you saying that my new Pre 2 isn't compatabile with 3G on UK's data network, but instead that it will only get 2G? If this is true, then I'll return the phone before it's too late.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Easiest thing to do is to purchase an AT&T Go-Phone SIM and set up the account with instructions detailed in a separate thread here. So far, this has worked for everyone wanting to use their Pre 2 with a Pre-Paid acct.
    I'll second this. I did this with with my developer Pre 2 and it works quite well.

    Although, I still have my Sprint Pre- metadoctored to 2.1.0 as my primary phone.
    Last edited by RickNeff; 03/13/2011 at 06:24 PM.
    Richard Neff

    My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

    My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Villain022 View Post
    Okay, I'm still lost.

    I'm currently using a Sprint Pre (rollout version), but just found out I'm relocating to the UK. I like the Pre so much that I bought an unlocked GSM Pre 2. Are you saying that my new Pre 2 isn't compatabile with 3G on UK's data network, but instead that it will only get 2G? If this is true, then I'll return the phone before it's too late.
    Not saying that. Depends on which version of the Unlocked Pre 2 you purchased, You didn't say.

    - There are two versions of the unlocked Pre 2, one with an EU comms board, and one with an NA comms board.
    - Unlocked Pre 2's with NA comms boards are sold in North America by HP USA.
    - Unlocked Pre 2's with EU comms boards are sold in Europe by O2 and other vendors .

    There are also two versions of locked Pre 2's which can be unlocked - You guessed it, EU and NA
    - You can unlock an locked EU SFR France Pre 2 - Ask Guy From Nam for details -NextGen is the vendor
    - You can unlock a locked NA Rogers Canada Pre 2 - Ask Guy From Nam for details - NextGen is the vendor

    Difference in Laymans terms:
    -If you buy a Pre 2 in North America (Unlocked or locked), odds are you're buying a Pre 2 with a NA comms board inside. You'll get 3G data in North America, and 2G data in Europe
    -If you buy a Pre 2 in Europe (Unlocked or locked), odds are you're buying a Pre 2 with an EU comms board inside. You'll get 3G data in Europe, and 2G data in North America.

    Bottom Line:
    - Buy your unlocked Pre 2 based on where you plan to use it.

    Brain Fry:
    We won't discuss full App Catalog access to paid apps in here. That's also based on country, however its not based on the country the hardware is built for, its based on the location or country you and whichever Unlocked pre 2 you decide to purchase are in when you power it on and activate it the first time. There's a separate thread or two (or ten) devoted to this topic.

    TTB

    btw ..... YW
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 04/03/2011 at 02:51 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  10. #50  
    I have a mystery for the OP, if you have the time...

    I have a Palm Pre 2 bought in the USA (so it is an unlocked NA board, I guess, see pic below). I am using it in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil with Vivo network.
    The strange thing is I get 3G only in some places in Rio (and sometimes only if I manually go to the settings to enable 3G only networks). Other people I work with have 3G using the same network in different phones (like an iphone) in exactly the same spots where I get nothing if I try to use 3G.

    I tried using a Tim network sim card from a friend to test and it was the same thing, I could not get 3G near my work where everyone else has 3G with different phones.

    I can get 3G in my home (I live in the 8th floor) always if I manually set it to 3G only networks. I get 2-3 bars only but it really works, the internet is really fast, so I have no doubt that 3G is working fine there.

    So, I could understand if I did not get any 3G here but 3G in only a few places is weird... Any ideas why?

    PS: I drived upstate the other day and when I was like 200km away from Rio, using the same network and sim card, I got perfect 3G with 5 bars and it worked in the auto setting (no need to set it to 3G only networks). It is so strange, what could be the explanation to that?
    Palm Pre 2 01.JPG
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Not saying that. Depends on which version of the Unlocked Pre 2 you purchased, You didn't say.

    - There are two versions of the unlocked Pre 2, one with an EU comms board, and one with an NA comms board.
    - Unlocked Pre 2's with NA comms boards are sold in North America by HP USA.
    - Unlocked Pre 2's with EU comms boards are sold in Europe by O2 and other vendors .

    There are also two versions of locked Pre 2's which can be unlocked - You guessed it, EU and NA
    - You can unlock an locked EU SFR France Pre 2 - Ask Guy From Nam for details -NextGen is the vendor
    - You can unlock a locked NA Rogers Canada Pre 2 - Ask Guy From Nam for details - NextGen is the vendor

    Difference in Laymans terms:
    -If you buy a Pre 2 in North America (Unlocked or locked), odds are you're buying a Pre 2 with a NA comms board inside. You'll get 3G data in North America, and 2G data in Europe
    -If you buy a Pre 2 in Europe (Unlocked or locked), odds are you're buying a Pre 2 with an EU comms board inside. You'll get 3G data in Europe, and 2G data in North America.

    Bottom Line:
    - Buy your unlocked Pre 2 based on where you plan to use it.

    Brain Fry:
    We won't discuss full App Catalog access to paid apps in here. That's also based on country, however its not based on the country the hardware is built for, its based on the location or country you and whichever Unlocked pre 2 you decide to purchase are in when you power it on and activate it the first time. There's a separate thread or two (or ten) devoted to this topic.

    TTB

    btw ..... YW

    Hi everybody,

    I'm a new Palm pre 2 user, the phone is great.

    I bought it in Europe, therefore the phone is an unlocked version EU; However, I'm living in the USA (although i'm currently back home, in Europe, for my holidays), and my original plan was to use my brand new pre 2 in the USA.

    Now, as far as I understood from the previous post, there is no way to get my European palm pre 2 phone working properly at 3G; the pone will rather work at 2g edge speed, it is correct?

    So, which carrier I'm supposed to choose in order to somehow "limit the damage", meaning which is the most compatible carrier (the carrier that, given the situation, could provide to my phone the best performance)?
    Anyway I'm not very satisfied my my current carrier in the US, therefore I was planning to move to another one (I was thinking about T-mobile, but it seems being not a good solution for my EU version of the pre 2, right?) and it worth to move to the one which is more compatible with my pre 2.

    Thank You all very much for the help and patience.
    Regards
    James
  12. #52  
    I'm sorry for bothering again, however I have been unable to find appropriate detail to inform my question.


    I have a Palm Pre 2, factory unlocked, and the phone is a EU version. I will be using this same phone in the USA.

    I understood that the phone, being an EU version, will not works beyond the 2G speed in the USA; however, Which USA carrier should I use in order to get voice and data in the USA.
    Specifically, AT&T and T-mobile have comparable prices for data and voice services: than should I go for an AT&T sim card or for a T-mobile USA one?

    Look forward to receiving your advice.
    Thanks a lot
    James
  13. #53  
    BUMP so hopefully someone can answer james82's question
    I am, therefore I think
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    BUMP so hopefully someone can answer james82's question
    Thanks much.

    At the end I got a SIM card from T-mobile, and everything seems working decently.
    I mean: as written in previous posts, the connection is not as fast as It used to be when i was in Europe; however, although EDGE the internet connection works in an acceptable way.

    Thanks
    James
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by james82 View Post
    Thanks much.

    At the end I got a SIM card from T-mobile, and everything seems working decently.
    I mean: as written in previous posts, the connection is not as fast as It used to be when i was in Europe; however, although EDGE the internet connection works in an acceptable way.

    Thanks
    James
    Good to hear. I ended up doing the same thing. Edge is not bad in NYC, fast enough for web browsing.
    I am, therefore I think
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by james82 View Post
    I'm sorry for bothering again, however I have been unable to find appropriate detail to inform my question.


    I have a Palm Pre 2, factory unlocked, and the phone is a EU version. I will be using this same phone in the USA.

    I understood that the phone, being an EU version, will not works beyond the 2G speed in the USA; however, Which USA carrier should I use in order to get voice and data in the USA.
    Specifically, AT&T and T-mobile have comparable prices for data and voice services: than should I go for an AT&T sim card or for a T-mobile USA one?

    Look forward to receiving your advice.
    Thanks a lot
    James

    James82 can probably exchange the phone with me! My problem is exactly reverse. I baught an american (AT&T) Palm Pixi Plus recently for use in India. I understand now that this phone can not work at 3G speed in India. Bur James82's phone should work in India. And my phone should work well in USA!
    Palm III> Visor> Visorphone> Treo 180> 270> 600> 650> 680> Centro> HTC Tilt> BB-8310> Pixi-Plus> Pre 3
    Touchpad 16GB
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdesai View Post
    James82 can probably exchange the phone with me! My problem is exactly reverse. I baught an american (AT&T) Palm Pixi Plus recently for use in India. I understand now that this phone can not work at 3G speed in India. Bur James82's phone should work in India. And my phone should work well in USA!
    Yeah, a Pixi for a Pre 2, that's a good trade...
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Ah, I see. Makes sense now when I re-read his post. The Pre 2, Veer and Pre 3 were all products already in the pipeline coming out of Palm. But at least with respect to the Pre 3. It appears that it is going to be a fully compatible world phone. So let's hope that is true. I do some traveling to Europe and would love to only have one phone to use here and there. {snip}
    I have been advised by HP's Level 3 tech that the Pre 3 has NO - repeat: NO support, not from them, not from anyone. Get one of those babies, and you're on your own. Which is a major-league shame, because a truly useful-everywhere phone would be worth every dime one would spend on it. I swap SIM cards regularly when travelling in the far east and Europe, usually PAYG plans (have an el-cheapo account in the UK).
  19. #59  
    Kind of wish I had viewed this topic before switching to T-Mobile, but oh well. The speeds aren't really that bad, except that I'm supposedly paying for 4G. Guess I'd better downgrade my service. Thanks for this.
  20. #60  
    OK so I am new to all this but welcome a learning challenge.

    Later this week I will receive a used, NA version, GSM unlocked Pre 2 I found on eBay. In my area T-Mobile has rolled out 4g at 22 of 26 cell towers... My research shows it as operating on the 2100 MHz band.

    If I activate on T-Mobile I assume I'll get 4g speed around most of my area and 2.5 EDGE when traveling. Does that sound right?

    Or would I be better off trying AT&T?

    Based on coverage maps it looks like T-Mobile has better coverage out in the countryside where I spend time kayaking... A bonus over AT&T, but I don't want to activate with T-Mobile if I cant get better than 2.5g where I spend most of my time (in town).

    Advice? Ideas?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions