Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Can you use the GSM Pre on any of the discounted / no-contract mobile networks?
    I believe Straight Talk has a GSM network....
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Straight Talk is a TracFone brand, which is a reseller of Verizon Wireless services.

But it also seems like Straight Talk got a GSM network reselling T-Mobile. That means that it would be limited to EDGE (2.5G)

The GSM Pre2 should work with any GSM carrier. Just make sure you're getting a good deal for data usage, as it is known to use 200MB in 20 days or less just for backups and sending various data to Palm's servers.
    I've experimented with this concept in the past . I don't know about Straight Talk, but I can offer information about TracFone which piggy backs using AT&T's network. Problem is that most of those cheap discounters like Tracfone tie their device IMEI # to the SIM in their system so they will only work together. Take the SIM out and it wont work in another device, and the device of course is locked so it wont work with another sim.
    Worth a try .
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    My mom tried a Straight Talk phone briefly, she didn't like it and returned it to WalMart. But it had a SIM card and was a GSM phone.... I looked at their terms of service and it prohibited using the phone with a different SIM card on a different network. So I kind of doubt they would allow usint the SIM card in a different phone... but I didn't read the TOS completely.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Great post!

You might want to edit that bit about Australia being across the Atlantic.

Its across the Pacific.
    A co-worker of mine was re-routed a couple years ago by American Airlines from the original RDU/DFW/LAX/MEL itinerary to RDU/BOS/LGW->LHR/SIN/SYD/MEL. All because the RDU/DFW flight was cancelled.

It's a silly story but technically Australia is ALSO across the Atlantic :-)
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
  4.    #24  
    Updated compatability for Canadian carriers.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Great post! Thanks TopTongueBarry
    Hello,

I was able to activate my unlocked Pre 2 on T-Mobile and it's working great with the exception of the missing Amazon MP3 app. I don't see a noticeable difference in speed when browsing the web or doing anything that requires data transfer; probably the combination of higher processor speed and webOS 2.0 makes up for the slower data transfer rate on T-Mobile's Edge network.

Does anyone know any good OTA music download app that can replace the missing Amazon MP3 app on an unlocked Pre 2?

Thanks!
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by gasperis View Post
    Hello,

I was able to activate my unlocked Pre 2 on T-Mobile and it's working great with the exception of the missing Amazon MP3 app. I don't see a noticeable difference in speed when browsing the web or doing anything that requires data transfer; probably the combination of higher processor speed and webOS 2.0 makes up for the slower data transfer rate on T-Mobile's Edge network.

Does anyone know any good OTA music download app that can replace the missing Amazon MP3 app on an unlocked Pre 2?

Thanks!
    RE: Amazon MP3,
    If you feel comfortable following instructions located throughout PreCentral's forums for downloading a WebOS doctor, extracting an ipkg file from it, and installing that ipk on your Pre 2 from it's root filesystem, the Amazon MP3 app runs just fine on the Pre 2. See this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-2/269792-amazon-music-app-unlocked-pre-2-a.html#post2777732
    Quote Originally Posted by gasperis View Post
    Hello,

Thanks!
    I just got my unlocked pre 2 yesterday. would you please tell me how to activate it and create a profile? I have a T-mobile sim card without data plan. Need I borrow a activated sim card with data plan to activate my pre 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    I have the same question as MudShark22. Can I get voice *and* data with ATT for a phone that was not purchased from them using a pre-paid SIM card? If not, can I get them with a contract, even though the phone was not purchased through ATT?

Second question: can I get insurance on a telephone that was not sold by a carrier, in this case ATT?

Last question: If I purchase a pre-paid SIM card, is my phone number different with every SIM card?
    I'd like to see an answer to the questions above. thanks
    I have been wondering and can't get to decide which carrier yet....quite a lot are compatible with me
    Quote Originally Posted by superhard View Post
    I just got my unlocked pre 2 yesterday. would you please tell me how to activate it and create a profile? I have a T-mobile sim card without data plan. Need I borrow a activated sim card with data plan to activate my pre 2?
    Yes, you must use a SIM card with data to activate. Borrow one from a friend, co-worker, AT&T or T-Mobile store. It takes a couple of minutes and you will be done with it.

The activation and profile creation are self explanatory... insert the SIM, turn on the phone, and follow the on-screen instructions. Once the phone reboots following the profile creation you can remove the SIM with Data and do anything else you need over wifi.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben1 View Post
    I'd like to see an answer to the questions above. thanks
    Here they are...

1. Yes a prepaid AT&T SIM can give you voice and data on your unlocked GSM Pre 2 even though it was not purchased from them and Yes you can get contract service from them as well on a phone not purchased from them.

2. I have TEP insurance with Sprint on 3 devices I did not purchase from them, although they are devices that they either carry or have at one time carried. So check with AT&T specifically to make sure. Sprint uses Asurion so ultimately it depends on what they allow.

3. Yes, your number with every SIM card is different. So if you have multiple phone accounts like T-Mobile and AT&T, you can use the same phone and Palm Profile but alternate which carrier you operate on by simply switching SIM's.
    How long has HP had the Pre 2 for sale? I found it on Palm Pre 2 unlocked | HPģ Official Store
    for $449.

Kevand
    Quote Originally Posted by kevand View Post
    How long has HP had the Pre 2 for sale? I found it on Palm Pre 2 unlocked | HPģ Official Store
    for $449.

Kevand
    Went on sale Thurs. Nov 18th.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Here they are...

1. Yes a prepaid AT&T SIM can give you voice and data on your unlocked GSM Pre 2 even though it was not purchased from them and Yes you can get contract service from them as well on a phone not purchased from them.

2. I have TEP insurance with Sprint on 3 devices I did not purchase from them, although they are devices that they either carry or have at one time carried. So check with AT&T specifically to make sure. Sprint uses Asurion so ultimately it depends on what they allow.

3. Yes, your number with every SIM card is different. So if you have multiple phone accounts like T-Mobile and AT&T, you can use the same phone and Palm Profile but alternate which carrier you operate on by simply switching SIM's.
    Thanks Rich!
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    This really sucks, i travel a lot and for long periods of times, this is the first phone that i have that has this issue, i'm always on 3G which probably means that most of my phones had to be quad band UMTS. That is a major flaw. this and with all the bugs i'm facing with the Pre 2, i am really thinking of quitting PalmHP
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    if the Pre2 is fully compatible with AT&T, do we know if they plan on having it?..Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bebz View Post
    This really sucks, i travel a lot and for long periods of times, this is the first phone that i have that has this issue, i'm always on 3G which probably means that most of my phones had to be quad band UMTS. That is a major flaw. this and with all the bugs i'm facing with the Pre 2, i am really thinking of quitting PalmHP
    Are we missing something from your post here? I am not sure what your issue is.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianaml View Post
    if the Pre2 is fully compatible with AT&T, do we know if they plan on having it?..Thanks
    Yes it is fully compatible with AT&T and no we don't know if they plan on carrying it. But you can buy it unlocked from HP for $449 and within a short amount of time you will be seeing them pop up on ebay from all of the would be developers getting free ones from HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Yes it is fully compatible with AT&T and no we don't know if they plan on carrying it. But you can buy it unlocked from HP for $449 and within a short amount of time you will be seeing them pop up on ebay from all of the would be developers getting free ones from HP.
    I highly disapprove of any "developers" doing that. I get that HP is desperate to get as many apps as they can, but it seems like they approved me with very little effort. But that's my gain, I suppose, because I just got a confirmation that I'll be getting a complimentary one. Yay! It's like Christmas for Moonlight -- a free Pre 2... and I'm getting away from Sprint. I've already got some app ideas floating around in my head, I'm crazy excited.

I'm still not sure what carrier to go through, though. I'm wondering if Walmart's cheap Family Mobile would suffice, given that I have WiFi most places I'm at. My girlfriend already has it, so if she let me piggyback and we split the bill, it'd be $35 a month. It's that or AT&T prepaid, given how little I actually talk on the phone (and less than 500 texts each month... usually just me and my girlfriend). With AT&T prepaid, I'd have to pay $20 for 100 megabytes of data for when I'm not around WiFi, $10 for 1000 texts, $10 for miscellaneous phone usage. Plus I'd still get 3G through AT&T. Hrmm.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast