Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I have been in contact with a member of Palm Developer Relations Team, and while he wouldn't answer my question of carrier compatibility, he did tell the me frequency bands the unlocked GSM version is compatible with.

Here is the specs that can answer your question.

Dual-band UMTS/HSDPA (850/1900 MHz)Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz).

This is the only information I have at this time. If any other developers are announced or any other compatibilities become available I will let you know.

AT&T uses the 850 and 1900 MHz bands for 3G data. T-Mobile uses the 1700 and 2100 MHz bands for 3G data. So the final answer is the Pre2 will be:

* DEFINITELY COMPATIBLE WITH AT&T 3G
    * DEFINITELY NOT COMPATIBLE WITH T-MOBILE 3G

Too bad really, I have heard that T-Mo is cheaper and I'm not too fond of AT&T's 2GB data cap.
    Last edited by cwgtex; 11/18/2010 at 09:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    If you want to buy the P2 as a consumer, you can't right now, it's sold out.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    But I'm cheap, and want to have some idea of what these things will cost me.

Is there any way to query my existing Pre and ask it how much data service I've used in the last day/week/month?
    found this link on AT&T's site that is moderately helpful. Looks like 2gb would be plenty for me, but 200mb would not be.

AT&T Data Calculator
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    I have been in contact with a member of Palm Developer Relations Team, and while he wouldn't answer my question of carrier compatibility, he did tell the me frequency bands the unlocked GSM version is compatible with.

Dual-band UMTS/HSDPA (850/1900 MHz)Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz).

This is the only information I have at this time. If any other developers are announced or any other compatibilities become available I will let you know.

AT&T uses the 850 and 1900 MHz bands for 3G data. T-Mobile uses the 1700 and 2100 MHz bands for 3G data. So the final answer is the Pre2 will be:

Thanks, that's quite helpful. NowI just have to figure out how to make sure I get the quad band version. :-)
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    If you want to buy the P2 as a consumer, you can't right now, it's sold out.
    Go to Palm's web site. It's not sold out there
    Same price.
    Palm USA|Mobile Products for Consumers, Professionals, and Businesses
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post

Ouch! My wife doesn't want to leave T-Mobile and her Treo 650 is practically falling apart (lost another screw a couple of weeks ago).

Sigh. I don't suppose it's likely that this would change?

John
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Thanks, that's quite helpful. NowI just have to figure out how to make sure I get the quad band version. :-)
    There is just one version of the unlocked U.S. GSM Pre2. It has two antennas, a dual-band UMTS/HSDPA antenna for 3G, and a quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE antenna for voice and 2G. So no worries there.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Also, on this site Palm USA | Palm Pre 2 Phone, I found this bit of info confirming it the AT&T 3G frequency bands. Click buy and then click the small plus sign.

Buy a new phone direct from HP if your phone is broken, lost, or if you want to get a new phone to use with your current contract. Data plan required. Your carrier must support 850/1900 3G bands in order to receive 3G coverage.
    Totally picking one of these up for 250 from HP...I had a Pre Plus on Verizon but I guess I'll go to ATT with a month to month plan with this. Currently using a Droid Incredible I have been itching to come back to WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    Totally picking one of these up for 250 from HP...I had a Pre Plus on Verizon but I guess I'll go to ATT with a month to month plan with this. Currently using a Droid Incredible I have been itching to come back to WebOS.
    I am having a heck of a time navigating AT&T's web site. Can you get a month-to-month plan with enough data to be worth it?

I looked up my bill, and I used about 730mb of data last month, and about 100 minutes of phone time, mostly evening and weekend minutes. So I don't want to be paying by the kb for data, or I'll go broke.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I purchased it at 7:00 am this morning. I'll have it tomorrow and will move from Verizon to At&t. Does anyone know since we're buying an unlocked from directly from HP if we can skip out on carrier certification for updates? I'd like it to be like the Nexus where HP can push the updates to me directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I purchased it at 7:00 am this morning. I'll have it tomorrow and will move from Verizon to At&t. Does anyone know since we're buying an unlocked from directly from HP if we can skip out on carrier certification for updates? I'd like it to be like the Nexus where HP can push the updates to me directly.
    I would assume so. The issue is with carrier approval, but right now there's no carrier to wait for an approval on.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I would assume so. The issue is with carrier approval, but right now there's no carrier to wait for an approval on.
    The Palm blog says the updates for unlocked devices will come straight from Palm without carrier certification.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    The Palm blog says the updates for unlocked devices will come straight from Palm without carrier certification.
    That will be so nice...
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Has anyone received one yet? I'm really looking forward to hearing reviews on the build quality.
    Anyone received their dev coupon yet?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by nospleen View Post
    Has anyone received one yet? I'm really looking forward to hearing reviews on the build quality.
    I have one. I will post a short review in a minute.
    Pre 2 on HP's website seems to be out of stock as of today, November 20.

Darn.. I didn't notice the 6 months no payments/interest option. I had a slight itch to maybe buy it lol
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Pre 2 on HP's website seems to be out of stock as of today, November 20.

Darn.. I didn't notice the 6 months no payments/interest option. I had a slight itch to maybe buy it lol
    There are two links I have found, the Home and Home Office link shows out of stock.

The Small and Medium business link however shows it in stock and available for shipping.

HP's Small & Medium Business Online Store

Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Anyone received their dev coupon yet?
    I haven't but I got my name added to their spreadsheet yesterday by the person (Peter Helm) who handled my free Pre Plus. I may have even been added twice, since I emailed him about 2 hours before they announced the "email us to request a coupon" thing asking if they had the pricing at that time (since he told me to email him this week). He told me he added me and a couple hours later I got confirmation that my email to the generic PDC email had been received and that I was awaiting confirmation. I did, however, tell Peter about that so that he would know I had potentially been added twice, so as to not break any unspoken/unwritten rules.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456