Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by GA400 View Post
    I was wondering about this too. I plan to buy an unlocked pre2 and give my preplus to my daughter, who has a sim that is restricted to no data use, only voice and text/mms. I think that means she won't be able to complete activation, even here at home over wifi, as you can't get into wifi settings until it has completed activation over 3G/Edge.

What I could find online was that numerous people said it is best to go to an ATT store and discuss in person at the store, as all of the online tools try to sell you a phone and plan package. Many people reported success at the store buying a sim card with a month to month commitment or as a go phone plan. I was unable to find how to buy just a sim card online, except on ebay, and that is sometimes a roll of the dice.

Hope that is helpful.

Cheers

Rich
    Just checked. The current way to get a month to month only contract free SIM is to purchase a go phone SIM if the store will sell it to you and most will, (or a $29.99 go phone if they won't) and sign up for the newest go phone plan $75 per month, unlimited talk, unlimited text and tiered data
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/18/2010 at 10:17 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Palm U.S. assured me it was GSM. Hope they are right. I'll trust them and raise hello later if its not.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    Palm U.S. assured me it was GSM. Hope they are right. I'll trust them and raise hello later if its not.
    Did you go ahead and place your order?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  4.    #64  
    Ok, I spoke too soon. I went back and clicked on another search result and got this;

AT&T SIM Card Cell Phone - Wireless from AT&T

A box pops up with this text when you add it to your cart
    If your device is a PDA, smartphone, or BlackBerryģ, you will require a minimum $15/month data service
    If you don't select a data service, one will be added automatically after activation.
    To properly set up your account and associate the SIM to your existing device, we will need the IMEI number of your device during checkout.
    IMEI location
    This too is valid. Two ways to get your SIM, the $75 per month go phone plan, or this one.

Broken down, the $75 per month go phone plan is the $60 per month unlimited talk and text plan with the $15 per month data plan attached.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    I was wondering about this too. I plan to buy an unlocked pre2 and give my preplus to my daughter, who has a sim that is restricted to no data use, only voice and text/mms. I think that means she won't be able to complete activation, even here at home over wifi, as you can't get into wifi settings until it has completed activation over 3G/Edge.
    It seems the best way to do this would be to create her a new Palm Profile on your Pre with your SIM still in it just before you pop it in and activate your new Pre 2. This way her profile will already be there and you won't have to worry about the data portion for getting past the profile sign in. Changing the sim out doesn't make you reload a profile. It simply updates the info in the device info section. Then she can still get data via wifi and have access to the App catalog for paid/free apps.

Then pop your sim into your shiny new Pre2 and load your profile.
    Earth calling HardBeatZ...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Did you go ahead and place your order?
    No gotta wait till the other half gets back. She took my cc this morning before I saw the news. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rosenberger View Post
    Is this Pre2 T-mobile, or AT&T, as i understand they use different bands?
    Yikes, that is a pretty critical question... Anyone know the answer?

A while back, I was asking a T-Mobile rep about GSM phones and he said pretty much that as long as it was GSM and unlocked, it would work.

Not so sure now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    No gotta wait till the other half gets back. She took my cc this morning before I saw the news. LOL
    Use the "Bill me later" option... no risk, no interest or payment for up to 6 months. Simple, no application, just provide a birth date and last four of your SSN.
    Use the "Bill me later" option... no risk, no interest or payment for up to 6 months. Simple, no application, just provide a birth date and last four of your SSN.
    Was debating that. I might just give in here in a bit if she isn't back soon.
    I had two experiences with GoPhone. First, I bought a cheap phone with a $15 credit. This option locks the SIM to the phone. The SIM won't work in an unlocked phone. Then I bought an AT&T Pixi Plus, unlocked it and purchased a zero credit GoPhone SIM off eBay (~$5). This works. I'll be interested to see whether the SIM will work in an unlocked Pre 2. Off to order one now ...

Update: So much for that idea. Out of stock.
    Last edited by dgdonovan; 11/18/2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Update
    Hp support told me the phone would work on any network includeing verizon.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  13.    #73  
    Interesting, the order confirmation I received indicates my Pre 2 will ship 11/19 with a delivery date of 11/20 (Sat) . I paid the $10 bucks extra for the Fed-Ex Overnight delivery option. That's cheap for Fed-Ex overnight with delivery on Saturday!
    Quote Originally Posted by xclint6x View Post

LOL glad to see HP is so competent.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by xclint6x View Post

Maybe on Verizon's LTE network which isn't rolled out yet, and if so, the Pre 2 won't have the 4G speeds. Otherwise, you got another misinformed rep.
    Verizon is all CDMA until they roll out LTE

That makes me wonder, could Verizon be delaying the release of the Palm Pre 2 until they turn up LTE?
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    This too is valid. Two ways to get your SIM, the $75 per month go phone plan, or this one.

Broken down, the $75 per month go phone plan is the $60 per month unlimited talk and text plan with the $15 per month data plan attached.
    So, can I buy a cheaper phone plan with the $15 data plan? I doubt I use my phone as a phone for more than 50 minutes a month.

And does anyone have advice on how much data you need in a data plan to go with the Pre? Most of the available data plans seem to have limits these days.

Obviously, it will vary, as some people send an occasional text and others spend the day listening to internet radio and watching streamed movies. But I'm looking for a general idea.

(I don't watch many videos or stream music, but I get a LOT of email on three different accounts, and like the gadget to check for email often. I also link to about 15 google calendars and a facebook ID, and that must chew up some bandwidth.)
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Interesting, the order confirmation I received indicates my Pre 2 will ship 11/19 with a delivery date of 11/20 (Sat) . I paid the $10 bucks extra for the Fed-Ex Overnight delivery option. That's cheap for Fed-Ex overnight with delivery on Saturday!
    How did I miss that? I paid $44.99 for overnight delivery (next business day). I have not received a shipping confirmation yet.

EDIT: Just got the tracking number and it is Fedex and shows a delivery of 11/19/10 by 3:00 pm.
  18.    #78  
    How did I miss that? I paid $44.99 for overnight delivery (next business day). I have not received a shipping confirmation yet.

EDIT: Just got the tracking number and it is Fedex and shows a delivery of 11/19/10 by 3:00 pm.
    I'm in Southern California. Maybe the price of overnight delivery is variable dependant on zip code.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    So, can I buy a cheaper phone plan with the $15 data plan? I doubt I use my phone as a phone for more than 50 minutes a month.

And does anyone have advice on how much data you need in a data plan to go with the Pre? Most of the available data plans seem to have limits these days.

Obviously, it will vary, as some people send an occasional text and others spend the day listening to internet radio and watching streamed movies. But I'm looking for a general idea.

(I don't watch many videos or stream music, but I get a LOT of email on three different accounts, and like the gadget to check for email often. I also link to about 15 google calendars and a facebook ID, and that must chew up some bandwidth.)
    The $15 data plan is tiered. Not sure what the limit on it is. After you reach your monthly limit, you pay per kb.
    Out of stock!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast