Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Well I'm placing my order later today.. no doubt. Gotta have this phone.

Now as far the marketing goes.. I don't think HP cares to market this device heavily. This phone was already in the works before HP got their hands on Palm and I think they are waiting to put all their muscle into a phone they have more input on. Just think of of Palm Pre two has HP/Palm's Nexus one.

While I sort of agree that the price point is too high.. you can't just lower the price to a subsidized amount. That makes no long-term business sense. Sort of like placing a house on the market and then after 6 months of it not selling trying to raise the price.
    MAJOR NEWS!!!!

I just placed my order on HP's site, but called first to see if it was GSM or CDMA. The HP Customer service did not know so they connected me with Palm Support. Palm support after a long wait said THIS IS THE LOCKED VERIZON CDMA VERSION. So I have one on the way with next business day delivery. I also took a screen shot of my order confirmation with receipt showing it as "unlocked". We shall see....

I'm with Sprint but figured I would give it a try and use it wifi if it is GSM, but will beg Sprint to add the ESN if it is Verizon.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quite a risk for that kind of money. Good luck to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Quite a risk for that kind of money. Good luck to you.
    It's worth it to have one in my hands to play with (or use if I can talk Sprint into taking the ESN) WebOS 2.0 and better hardware.

Besides, I can always sell it at a discount when a new device comes out on Sprint and recoop some of my money.
    WHAT? no way!? while this may work out for you this SUCKS for me. Surely not. Get it together HP!
    Either somebody in Palm support needs to be smacked, or sales and support aren't talking to each other. It's an unlocked GSM Pre 2 - they wouldn't dare advertise as one thing and sell as another.
    "'Form follows function' ó that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    With Pre 2 going on sale today in the US, the webOS Doctor surely will follow shortly. I wonder if that will speed up the webOS 2.0 xfer process for the webOS Internalz folks?
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    Well I'm placing my order later today.. no doubt. Gotta have this phone.

Now as far the marketing goes.. I don't think HP cares to market this device heavily. This phone was already in the works before HP got their hands on Palm and I think they are waiting to put all their muscle into a phone they have more input on. Just think of of Palm Pre two has HP/Palm's Nexus one.

While I sort of agree that the price point is too high.. you can't just lower the price to a subsidized amount. That makes no long-term business sense. Sort of like placing a house on the market and then after 6 months of it not selling trying to raise the price.
    I do agree the risk (of my prior post) is confusing the market and also the quality of your product.

But its clear that HP has to do something about carriers (and OS updates as well being dictated by them). Or find a different way to sell these things. If you constrain yourself to play by the same "rules" as the other..more visible platforms, then they'll have a harder time.

Have to use your strengths. Google put their phone on their search page (and didn't spend much other effort). Apple uses its retail stores. They also bundle the ipod (not a phone, but is a mobile device) with their computers in the summer. I'm only suggesting HP needs to dig in. They have retail reach and leverage. They're the number one computer maker. Working Pre's need to be displayed with HP computers in those retail spaces.

Also i understand the Pre 2 is more of a place holder. But what better product to do this with? Those risks could be just with the Pre brand. You'd hope future devices could be sold in a more traditional manner.
    Last edited by cardfan; 11/18/2010 at 09:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    It's worth it to have one in my hands to play with (or use if I can talk Sprint into taking the ESN) WebOS 2.0 and better hardware.

Besides, I can always sell it at a discount when a new device comes out on Sprint and recoop some of my money.
    We need an update on this if it is indeed the CDMA version. And if you get it on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Either somebody in Palm support needs to be smacked, or sales and support aren't talking to each other. It's an unlocked GSM Pre 2 - they wouldn't dare advertise as one thing and sell as another.
    I agree... she (the Palm Support rep) said the unlocked GSM version will not be available until a later date and that she had sent the information back to HP to have it corrected.

Of course that is why I took the screen shot of my order confirmation. Somebody is gonna make this good for me in the end.

If it is GSM then I simply activate it with my sons T-Mobile sim and then use it wifi like a dev. device. If it is CDMA then I will be burning up the phone lines to Sprint to get it activated on my account to replace my janky refurb Pre.
    MAJOR NEWS!!!!

I just placed my order on HP's site, but called first to see if it was GSM or CDMA. The HP Customer service did not know so they connected me with Palm Support. Palm support after a long wait said THIS IS THE LOCKED VERIZON CDMA VERSION. So I have one on the way with next business day delivery. I also took a screen shot of my order confirmation with receipt showing it as "unlocked". We shall see....
    What number did you call? I need to get this sorted out before I place an order. HP mobile told me it was GSM however he didn't say it with any authority so I want to call Palm directly.
    Can you tell me what number you called? I called HP mobile and they said it was GSM however he didn't say it with any authority so I'd like to call palm directly and can't seem to find that number.
    Let me know when it arrives - I'm in your area and on Sprint also so I'm interested in finding out how it works for you.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Can you tell me what number you called? I called HP mobile and they said it was GSM however he didn't say it with any authority so I'd like to call palm directly and can't seem to find that number.
    I simply called the toll free HP sales number on the top left of the page. I asked the question and pointed out the discrepancy between the title and the info on the specs page in the battery section. He said he didn't know and just transferred me to Palm Support.

EDIT... I selected option 1 on the HP call and when he transferred me to Palm I selected option 2 for Pre support.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Let me know when it arrives - I'm in your area and on Sprint also so I'm interested in finding out how it works for you.

Are you back in the city now? Last time we chatted via PM you were out of town. Perhaps we can meet up for lunch and you can put your hands on the Pre 2 once it arrives?
    What number did you call? I need to get this sorted out before I place an order. HP mobile told me it was GSM however he didn't say it with any authority so I want to call Palm directly.
    1 (888) 999-4747, option 1, asked the question, he didn't know and transferred me to Palm Support, selected option 2 for Pre support, asked question, waited for a long time, she came back and asked me to wait longer, then gave me the info.
    MAJOR NEWS!!!!

I'm with Sprint but figured I would give it a try and use it wifi if it is GSM, but will beg Sprint to add the ESN if it is Verizon.
    I might be doing the same.. That's the phone I want for now, and yet some folks can't seem to understand. To each is own. Let us know once you get it.
  18.    #58  
    I simply called the toll free HP sales number on the top left of the page. I asked the question and pointed out the discrepancy between the title and the info on the specs page in the battery section. He said he didn't know and just transferred me to Palm Support.

EDIT... I selected option 1 on the HP call and when he transferred me to Palm I selected option 2 for Pre support.
    I just called my HP (Not Palm) Acct rep. He assurred me it was an Unlocked GSM Palm Pre 2.

Guess its clear now who wears the pants in the HP/Palm relationship.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I just called my HP (Not Palm) Acct rep. He assurred me it was an Unlocked GSM Palm Pre 2.

Guess its clear now who wears the pants in the HP/Palm relationship.
    Well, I'm good either way or I wouldn't have ordered it. But I will be anxious to see what I actually get in the box tomorrow. I will definitely create a thread and post some pics for proof in either case.

I can only report what I was personally told. Hopefully others will call Palm and get some more info to report.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    Saw this on Engadget this morning and have to say as a UK customer I'm seriously fuming* about the price differences. That US price is about £120 cheaper than the £399 UK price.

*well I used far more colourful language in reality.

Repost of comment I made to GFN earlier this morning .....

Guess that's the price you pay for living in a 900/2100 UMTS region.
    but hey, you guys got yours FIRST!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast