Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Saw this on Engadget this morning and have to say as a UK customer I'm seriously fuming* about the price differences. That US price is about £120 cheaper than the £399 UK price.

*well I used far more colourful language in reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    Saw this on Engadget this morning and have to say as a UK customer I'm seriously fuming* about the price differences. That US price is about £120 cheaper than the £399 UK price.

*well I used far more colourful language in reality.
    It's the same with macminis, gas and taxes.

It pays to live in the US. In Europe, citizens are considered financial products to make money off. In the US, citizens are considered voters.
    (pardon the oversimplification and emoticon abuse)
    Good news for US people who want P2 GSM.

$637 UK vs $449 US = 30% premium in UK.

That's a bit more than can be explained by "things just cost a bit more in Europe".
    I see pandas.
    Just found Pre 2 GSM unlocked also on Home & Home Office page: All handhelds | HP® Official Store

Yet, still not available on HP Wireless Central (that group must still be in bed?)
    I see pandas.
    So this US $399 phone won't give me 3G in Europe right?
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    So this US $399 phone won't give me 3G in Europe right?

Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Nope.
    So that's €170 extra for a particular GSM band...well done HP
    Get your Pre 2 FREE for 6 months per note below price: "No Payments + No Interest if paid in full in 6 months with Bill Me Later. Subject to credit approval. See Terms »"

Palm Pre 2 unlocked | HP® Official Store
    I see pandas.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Is this appearing on the website a sign, like in the UK, that US carriers have passed over on the device?
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    It's the same with macminis, gas and taxes.

It pays to live in the US. In Europe, citizens are considered financial products to make money off. In the US, citizens are considered voters.
    (pardon the oversimplification and emoticon abuse)
    I disagree with your reasoning as to why (but this isn't the place for that kind of debate) but yeah I'm used to the fact that the US tends to get things cheaper. That sort of price difference though is, in my eyes, a reason for why the Pre 2 won't do great in Europe. If they could bring it down to that price and get it selling in some of the non-carrier controlled phone shops I think it would actually sell. Not masses but more than just selling direct through the website will ever get.

Have messaged both the @palm_UK and @palm twitter accounts giving they tend to reply to a lot of messages, will be interested to see if they respond with some sort of reasoning.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    That sort of price difference though is, in my eyes, a reason for why the Pre 2 won't do great in Europe.
    The marketing for it consisted of a single Twitter post - it will not sell, that's the start, middle and end of it. Without any marketing, absolutely nobody but hardcore fans will know it exists. It's been put out to die like a lame dog. *why* it's been put out in this way is open to question but the end result isn't - this phone will go nowhere in the UK and the majority of Europe.

Someone posted on the Engadget story about this "if only they sold this in the UK!" - that sums up the situation perfectly.
    So dev discount, if it's the same as the past it'll be 20% off.

$359 for an unlocked Pre 2... anyone?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Is this appearing on the website a sign, like in the UK, that US carriers have passed over on the device?
    Not necessarily. Palm US has always sold unlocked devices around the same time around as carriers, pretty much up until the Pre.

The Treo Pro GSM was available unlocked and not on either GSM carriers, so was the Centro (though AT&T and Rogers did have it eventually, but came after US Unlocked).
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Thanks for this heads up! So who's going for it? And can you still get a SIM with compatible data plan on ATT with no contract?
    I was wondering about this too. I plan to buy an unlocked pre2 and give my preplus to my daughter, who has a sim that is restricted to no data use, only voice and text/mms. I think that means she won't be able to complete activation, even here at home over wifi, as you can't get into wifi settings until it has completed activation over 3G/Edge.

What I could find online was that numerous people said it is best to go to an ATT store and discuss in person at the store, as all of the online tools try to sell you a phone and plan package. Many people reported success at the store buying a sim card with a month to month commitment or as a go phone plan. I was unable to find how to buy just a sim card online, except on ebay, and that is sometimes a roll of the dice.

Hope that is helpful.

Cheers

Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by GA400 View Post
    I was wondering about this too. I plan to buy an unlocked pre2 and give my preplus to my daughter, who has a sim that is restricted to no data use, only voice and text/mms. I think that means she won't be able to complete activation, even here at home over wifi, as you can't get into wifi settings until it has completed activation over 3G/Edge.

What I could find online was that numerous people said it is best to go to an ATT store and discuss in person at the store, as all of the online tools try to sell you a phone and plan package. Many people reported success at the store buying a sim card with a month to month commitment or as a go phone plan. I was unable to find how to buy just a sim card online, except on ebay, and that is sometimes a roll of the dice.

Hope that is helpful.

Cheers

Rich
    Ok, I spoke too soon. I went back and clicked on another search result and got this;

AT&T SIM Card Cell Phone - Wireless from AT&T

A box pops up with this text when you add it to your cart
    If your device is a PDA, smartphone, or BlackBerry®, you will require a minimum $15/month data service
    If you don't select a data service, one will be added automatically after activation.
    To properly set up your account and associate the SIM to your existing device, we will need the IMEI number of your device during checkout.
    IMEI location
    Last edited by GA400; 11/18/2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: added more detail
    Does this mean we are any closer to a VZW launch? I wonder if VZW is even still going to carry this device or if this is the only way it will be available?
    Ok .... This more like it ... $399 would be a better price point

Only problem is that we have European 3G Band ... >_>
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Oh yes, gonna replace my 6 month old Unlocked AT&T Pre Plus with it.

WebOS 2 - Now the fun really begins!

What are you gonna do with the old pre +? Post it on ebay?
    You all have some weird ideas of what is a good price point. No way i'd pay more than 199 for this. Sub or unsub.

HP needs to think of it as a marketing expense. Call it an intro price but they need to sell units not worry about profit at this point.

Sell them like you would one of your netbooks. Get them into Sams, Costco, best buy, etc. Bundle these with HP computers & laptops. Customers need to see these devices.

Negotiate with AT&T for a cut. They have to activate these things. Your HP, a giant. Not some gnat.
    I am going to wait until a few people in the USA get their Pre 2 before getting mine. I also want to see some of my key apps/patches supported on WebOS 2.0.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast