Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    I believe I heard Dieter mention this on last night's PalmCast, but could it be that the Pre2 is basically Palm's Dev phone and not their flagship phone?

Reason I say this is because it seems like the Pre2 is getting no advertising behind it, just like Google did not advertise the Nexus One. The goal could be to just get these phones into loyalists hands and into developers' hands, plus show WebOS 2.0.

What do you guys think?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I think this has to be the case, otherwise why bother releasing the phone at all?
    It does seem like the Pre2 will be like that for its the beachhead into webos 2.0 land, but its not intentionally built to be the dev phone for any webos device could fit the bill.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    @OP

yes
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    I believe I heard Dieter mention this on last night's PalmCast, but could it be that the Pre2 is basically Palm's Dev phone and not their flagship phone?

Reason I say this is because it seems like the Pre2 is getting no advertising behind it, just like Google did not advertise the Nexus One. The goal could be to just get these phones into loyalists hands and into developers' hands, plus show WebOS 2.0.

What do you guys think?
    Ummm...if their goal is to get the Pre 2 into loyalists hands, then they're really stinking it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Ummm...if their goal is to get the Pre 2 into loyalists hands, then they're really stinking it up.
    Here we go, another night of YankBoy... woohoo!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Here we go, another night of YankBoy... woohoo!
    Hey, I approach each day with unbridled optimism. I'll be at my computer bright and early tomorrow hoping for new details of the Pre 2's release. If the worst thing I do in life is want the Pre 2, then I guess I'm doing alright.
    I think the pre 2 is meant to be a developer phone. I think hp said something to that extent in the press release. They will be discounting it for devs.

which again raises the question of why in the world vzw will be carrying it. They don't care much for palm. Maybe doing hp a favor...maybe vzw is the major carrier for HP employees in the US? I have no clue.

regardless, after the ces announcement, if none of the supposed new devices will be coming to vzw other than the pre 2, I may use my upgrade on the pre 2 in late jan.
    I didn't say any of it makes sense...
    The Nexus One was groundbreaking. It may have been a "developer" phone, but it represented a collaboration between google and HTC where google was telling the industry what kind of hardware they should be building into Android phones.

The Nexus One's computing and graphics performance were groundbreaking. The screen was best in class, the device was light, slim, and the overall form factor was awesome, it had a class leading camera.

I could only wish for Palm to have a release something like the Nexus One.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The Nexus One was groundbreaking. It may have been a "developer" phone, but it represented a collaboration between google and HTC where google was telling the industry what kind of hardware they should be building into Android phones.

The Nexus One's computing and graphics performance were groundbreaking. The screen was best in class, the device was light, slim, and the overall form factor was awesome, it had a class leading camera.

I could only wish for Palm to have a release something like the Nexus One.
    I can def see this. My only reason would be because Palm didn't have the $$ to make a super device yet. Remember, this is the last Palm phone planned before the buyout.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    I can def see this. My only reason would be because Palm didn't have the $$ to make a super device yet. Remember, this is the last Palm phone planned before the buyout.
    Pre 2 was a super device when it should have been released. You could just see the sadness on Ruby's face @ web 2.0. Right now the pre is only things lacking on the pre 2 are a compass and a front facing camera. Say what you want about screen size, but it doesn't really fit into this form factor.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    You can say its a dev phone all you want but it is no nexus one type device.

The nexus one set the standard for all high end devices that followed it. The pre 2 not so much.
    Makes little sense.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Makes little sense.
    The nexus one set the standard for future android devices. How is the pre2 setting a standard when @ ces palm should eclipse the hardware(if they want to sell some devices) in the pre2 also increasing the resolution making its screen crap to develop on seeing as the little 80px difference between the pre and pixi created scaling issues for some people.

Which is why I said its no nexus one type device.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Yes in final intent the nexus one and the pre 2 are kin(pun slightly intended).Neither started out as DEV phones the nexus one was suppose to show off google's online phone distro business model(and got kin'd: business model not phone). While the pre 2 was suppose to be the next in line for palm but do to a major merger(guess) got pushed back to outdateness(kin'd: now a verb for anything dead on arrival).If you remember the nexus one became a developer because developers started buying them after the google business model failed and the started deeply discounting the phone. The same thing is happening with the pre 2.

Side note: as with all apps only the most adaptable will survive.So to say just because something was developed on a Pre 2 it won't be compatible with newwer devices is a slight mis-calculation. The palm sdk is web standard based none hardware dependent and the Pdk is just a buffer to port games over.The hybrid of both means that minor tweaks would need to be made to Pre 2 developed apps to make them compliant with lets say a dual or more core set-up.To point out another mis-calculation most apps will not use every feature of every device on a given platform that why the nexus one and the droid x can have similar apps yet have different hardware.;-)
    Last edited by tejoe; 11/18/2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: me and spelling still don't go hand and hand
    ...Or maybe they had it already...and just now feel like selling it.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tejoe View Post
    Side note: as with all apps only the most adaptable will survive.So to say just because something was developed on a Pre 2 it won't be compatible with newwer devices is a slight mis-calculation. The palm sdk is web standard based none hardware dependent and the Pdk is just a buffer to port games over.The hybrid of both means that minor tweaks would need to be made to Pre 2 developed apps to make them compliant with lets say a dual or more core set-up.To point out another mis-calculation most apps will not use every feature of every device on a given platform that why the nexus one and the droid x can have similar apps yet have different hardware.;-)
    I know there will not be incompatibly issues but why dev on a 320x480 screen when the new stuff is higher res(it better be or palm might as well close up shop)? in the nexus one case no phone at the time or now has higher res screen unless you count moto's 400x854 screens.

Either way its again no nexus one regardless of both being sold as dev phones in the end. Devs in androids cases got a phone that has lasted through a years worth of hardware vendors pumping new phones(we are not talking minor spec bumps in palms case you know this). Palms version won't make it through 2 months before being outdated(or again they might as well close shop).