1.    #1  
    Posting from the US, where we don't have access to a Pre 2 yet. I saw a couple Pre 2s on eBay (unlocked GSM), selling from a couple countries in Europe. My yearning to have a new webOS device nearly got the better of me and I almost bid, but the prices quickly shot up past $700 and I couldn't justify that.

Anyone here pick up an eBay Pre 2, or see them and consider it?
    Those folks paid 700-800usd for those phones so not surprised. I just cannot see myself spending that much for one either way just to get 2G speeds, tmobile coverage blows in my area.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  3.    #3  
    ^ They'd work on ATT as well, no? Thought the Pre2 was 800/900/1800/1900. Or do you just lack ATT coverage where you live?
    thats getting into a new laptop range. I love my pre but not at that cost.

ET
    Even though I adore the pre 2, I'm not paying more than $300usd upfront for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    ^ They'd work on ATT as well, no? Thought the Pre2 was 800/900/1800/1900. Or do you just lack ATT coverage where you live?
    NO. Those are EU bands. That means it won't work with AT&T's 3G.

AT&T uses 850/1900
    O2 (and others) use 900/1800/2100
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Plus AT&T has a teeny-weeny little 3G network. :P
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    NO. Those are EU bands. That means it won't work with AT&T's 3G.

AT&T uses 850/1900
    O2 (and others) use 900/1800/2100
    800/1900 are US bands (850 = 800 in common parlance). AT&T offers 3G on both 800 and 1900 in the US depending on market, so assuming the unlocked Pre2 supports those bands (as I believe it does), it would work fine on AT&T 3G here.

It would not support T-Mobile's AWS 1700 band, which is currently the only band they offer 3G on. So on T-Mobile, a Pre2 would be stuck on EDGE, yes.

Others: I agree that the price is out of this world for these things right now. I'd probably pay $500, but not a lot more than that.
    800/1900 are US bands (850 = 800 in common parlance). AT&T offers 3G on both 800 and 1900 in the US depending on market, so assuming the unlocked Pre2 supports those bands (as I believe it does), it would work fine on AT&T 3G here.
    Not so! Arthurthornton is right.

It would not support T-Mobile's AWS 1700 band, which is currently the only band they offer 3G on. So on T-Mobile, a Pre2 would be stuck on EDGE, yes.

Others: I agree that the price is out of this world for these things right now. I'd probably pay $500, but not a lot more than that.
    Not true, ArthurThornton was right.
    Here's the scoop direct from PALM:
    Reference:
    Palm Support: Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone

Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone - Palm Support - Article ID: 65931

The network bands and frequencies available for your webOS phone are listed below.

Region ....................................... 2G frequencies ......................... 3G frequencies
    North America (US/CAN) ............. 850/900/1800/1900 GSM ................. 850/1900/2100 UMTS
    South America (LAT) .................. 850/900/1800/1900 GSM ................. 850/900/2100 UMTS
    Asia-Pacific .......................................... 1900/1800 GSM ................. 850/900/2100 UMTS
    Europe .................... 850/900/1800 /1900 (degraded) GSM ................. 900/2100 UMTS

The Dual Band GSM North American communication board (marked "NA") found in the Telcel Palm Pre and the AT&T Palm Pre Plus is designed specifically to use the 850 and 1900 3G UTMS frequencies.

The Dual Band GSM European communication board (marked EU) found in the European Palm Pre and Palm Pre Plus's (UK, Germany, France ...) is designed specifically to use the 900 and 2100 3G UTMS frequencies.

In a nutshell, if you purchase a European GSM Palm Pre/Pixi/Plus, it will only be capable of 2G EDGE data connecitivity in North America. Conversely, if you purchase a North American GSM Palm Pre/Pixi/Plus, it will only be capable of 2G EDGE data connectivity in Europe (Exception is Telstra Australia).
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/18/2010 at 02:40 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  11.    #11  
    ^, ^^ I stand corrected! Wasn't aware 3G capability was determined separately. I always assumed if a phone supported 2G US bands, it supported 3G as well. Thanks for the correction.

Minus a point for ALL CAPS SHOUTING, though, TopTongueBarry. Poor form.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Minus a point for ALL CAPS SHOUTING, though, TopTongueBarry. Poor form.
    Providing incorrect info in trying to correct others is "poor form".
    Get your facts straight before trying to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    TTB, JIC is trying to get their hands on a locked SFR to work on.
    Pointed them to one yesterday on ebay. Let's hope they win it.
    Brand loyalty; like getting your blow-up doll jewelry

ROFL!
  15.    #15  
    Providing incorrect info in trying to correct others is "poor form".
    Get your facts straight before trying to do that.
    Try reading a little more carefully, chief. I said "I assume" before making the erroneous statement. And I already confessed to my newb-ish mistake, so how'bout you get off my back and we can all move on?
    Try reading a little more carefully, chief. I said "I assume" before making the erroneous statement. And I already confessed to my newb-ish mistake, so how'bout you get off my back and we can all move on?
    Now now kids, I corrected my CAPS. Its time to move past this and celebrate the Unlocked GSM Palm Pre 2 release here in the USA!
    LOL - I'm not on your back! No worries chief.
  18.    #18  
    Hey! We're all friends again!

I have to say, I've never been so happy to have a thread rendered irrelevant. Not more than a few hours after the OP, and the real-deal unlocked Pre 2 goes up for US sale. Happy ordering, folks!
    I wouldn't hesitate 1 nano second. This is great value for money.
    I would even consider using it in Europe since I'm mostly on wifi anyway.
    Even a greater value for developers $249 USD
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Even a greater value for developers $249 USD
    i would def consider this if it where cdma.. :/