Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If I were to get an unlocked Pre2 in the US, is there any carrier I could buy service from? What sort of plans do they offer these days?
  2.    #2  
    It would be oh so sweet if I could get a Pre2 with the $40/month virgin deal, but I think that's the wrong type of service.
    As long as it comes with unlimited data then you're ok.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    If I were to get an unlocked Pre2 in the US, is there any carrier I could buy service from? What sort of plans do they offer these days?
    If you bought the unlocked Pre2 from Palm US, then you can use it on AT&T with 3G or T-Mobile with 2G. If you buy a European Pre2, then you won't get 3G in the USA. Europe uses 900/1800/2100 MHz for their 3G, while AT&T uses 850/1900 for their 3G, and T-Mobile uses an entirely different technology (AWS).

Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    It would be oh so sweet if I could get a Pre2 with the $40/month virgin deal, but I think that's the wrong type of service.
    Virgin Mobile is CDMA, which won't work with the unlocked Pre2.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    If you bought the unlocked Pre2 from Palm US, then you can use it on AT&T with 3G or T-Mobile with 2G. If you buy a European Pre2, then you won't get 3G in the USA. Europe uses 900/1800/2100 MHz for their 3G, while AT&T uses 850/1900 for their 3G, and T-Mobile uses an entirely different technology (AWS).
    Thanks. That's a shame, as AT&T has lousy service, and I travel to Europe from time to time. I suppose it could still be used as a phone in Europe though, right? (With a European sim card.)

Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Virgin Mobile is CDMA, which won't work with the unlocked Pre2.
    That's what I was afraid of. I am really tempted to go to Android to get the cheaper Virgin Mobile service. For $30 or so each month, I can buy some cheapie thing to use when I visit Europe.
  6.    #6  
    So . . . shopping data plans, it seems that "unlimited" isn't an option. Anyone have any idea how much data this baby transfers daily? I have tons of email, lots of google calendars, and not a lot more than that. I do some light web browsing mostly because it's free, and occasionally look at Facebook or a you-tube video. Not interested in being a hotspot, and could drop the videos without much missing it. What I really need is a portable e-mail device that makes phone calls, keeps my calendar, and organizes my address book.

Oh, and I want to be able to play games and show off photos, but that doesn't use bandwidth to speak of. (I assume I can transfer data to it at home, using wifi, and avoid data charges.)

It's REALLY hard to compare plans when I have no idea how much data I use. Any way to track that?
    Hello to all,
    Obviously I am very new to PreCentral. I have been reading extensively for about two months on the forum. Watched some Palmcasts as well. I certainly am not on the Tech. Level as many here. I am hoping that some of you in the community may assist me in deciding on a phone and carrier.
    My only experience is with a Prepay basic phone that I have had for the past two years. It is a Net 10 ( OK, enough laughing ). I believe it uses the AT&T network and has served me quite well.
    I first became interested in the Pre+ on Verizon. The free wireless hot Spot feature attracted my attention. I have probably become bias towards a Palm product due in part to the amount of time I have spent reading at PreCentral.
    Some pertinent Info. I spend about four months in the winter in the southwest desert on BLM land living off grid in a small MH. I spend about three months in the summer in Newfoundland Canada.
    The remaining time I am at home in upstate NY where service from the large carriers is about equal.
    I do all banking, bill paying etc on line. Don't do games, Facebook, streaming video etc.
    I really want to be able to use my laptop via the phone. Wireless or at the very least a physical tether is a requirement. No fee would be nice.
    A Pre2 would more than meet my needs. I also like the form factor even though I have large hands. I ride a motorcycle and the Pre 2 will fit nicely in my riding jacket. Also size is nice to pack while hiking. Workable GPS would be useful.
    So, anyone want to talk me out of the Pre2?
    How about a carrier? Sprint seems to be out of the picture at least for now. Verizon ( If it does in fact get the Pre2 ) is a choice. If they offer the free hot spot that is a plus. Questionable on the GPS though. Also I could add Canada to the plan for the three months that I am in NL. Bell/Telus has CDMA in the area where I will be and an apparent agreement with Verizon. Or, buy an unlocked Pre2 from HP and use AT&T while in the states and get a prepay Bell/Telus SIMM while in NL. They also have GSM/UMTS in the area where I will be.
    But, I am not sure how the AT&T Data plan stacks up against Verizon. Plus no hot spot unless there is a work around available. ( Seems like you folks accomplish some pretty amazing things with the PalmOS )
    Sorry for the long first post, but I figured I would get as much info on what my needs are out right away.
    Comment and suggestions are appreciated.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    AT&T will be good for you if you don't use too much data. I suggest waiting until the Pre 2 comes out for verizon in order to confirm whether or not the gps works well.
    You know, everyone is talking about AT&T with the unlocked Pre 2. What are people's real thoughts on T-mobile since they are the other GSM network with in the Big Four? Personally I've never considered either. I spent a lot of time in rural and weak coverage areas where the CDMA networks are pretty much the only option if you want reliability.

As for Verizon's GPS issue, there is a thread going about a test patch that basically disabled the aGPS so that you can just operate off the device GPS.
    I'm a Sprint Pre Minus user who is getting tired of waiting for an updated phone. So I have been taking a serious look at the Pre 2 on Verizon. But with the unlocked GSM Pre 2, I might have found another alternative -- T-Mobile. I upgraded from a T-Mobile G1 to a Palm Pre but kept the G1 around as an emergency device and also in part because I wanted to avoid the early termination fee. And I still have a week to either cancel my T-Mobile contract or transfer my T-Mobile phone number to a new carrier.

So I'm trying to weigh my options. The unlocked Pre 2 is expensive, $449. But relatively speaking, that's pretty reasonable for an unlocked smartphone. Plus I wouldn't be locked into a new contract. Having been burned a bit by both T-Mobile and Sprint not carrying the phones I like, not being locked into a contract is pretty attractive to me. Sprint and T-Mobile's monthly rates are roughly equivalent and I'd hate to get stuck on two carriers again, particularly if one of them is Verizon, the most expensive carrier in the US.

I do wonder about the frequencies. Would I be locked into a slower Edge data connection with the Pre 2? Or can the Pre 2 handle T-Mobile's version of 3G. (Checks Palm website: Dual-band UMTS/HSDPA (850/1900 MHz)Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz).) If Wikipedia is correct, the Pre 2 should be able to handle 3G speeds. So that's nice, even if it couldn't handle T-Mobile's version of 4G.

So in summary. I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud here. While I'm not to crazy about going back to the 90s and paying over $400 for a phone, I'm also not looking forward to being locked into a contract with a phone carrier that hates its customers (and lets face it they all do).

But at least there are finally some alternatives for us webOS *******.
    I'm a little gun-shy about replying to this one, having made some erroneous assumptions in a similar thread, but here goes:

I believe that T-Mobile USA 3G is currently only offered on their 1700MHz AWS band. Since the Pre2 doesn't support this band, if you used it on T-Mo USA, you'd be stuck on EDGE (2G).

Feel free to verify this for me - I double checked the T-Mobile USA Wiki, but some additional verification would be nice.
    I thought that T-Mobile used an odd frequency for data. That would leave them out for my needs.
    The comment about rural coverage with CDMA would apply in my type of usage. However I must say that I have been in three Verizon places. None of the experiences left me feling warm and fuzzy. But consensus seems to indicate that customer service is about the same across the board with carriers.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I'm a little gun-shy about replying to this one, having made some erroneous assumptions in a similar thread, but here goes:

I believe that T-Mobile USA 3G is currently only offered on their 1700MHz AWS band. Since the Pre2 doesn't support this band, if you used it on T-Mo USA, you'd be stuck on EDGE (2G).

Feel free to verify this for me - I double checked the T-Mobile USA Wiki, but some additional verification would be nice.
    A Pre2 on T-MO would be limited to EDGE. T-Mo uses 1700 and 2100 MHz bands for 3G, which the unlocked Pre2 is not compatible with.
    Will the unlock version of the Pre2 have the radio to work on the AT&T 3G network or will it only work on AT&T Edge network?
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

This is correct.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    will the unlock version of the pre2 have the radio to work on the at&t 3g network or will it only work on at&t edge network?
    3G. UMTS 850/1900.

EDIT: why does it automatically lower case my acronyms?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Honestly though, the download speed of 3G is marginally faster than 2G.

I dont think this should constitute a deal breaker.

Infact, I use my Palm Pre on 2G only mode. It saves loads of battery

Id say the Palm Pre 2 on T-Mobile is still an OK thing.

(Actually I just want to see if the Pre 2 would put "T-Mobile" in the top corner of the screen or not lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    I thought that T-Mobile used an odd frequency for data.
    It does, but only for the 3G. You could still use 2G or "EDGE" as its called.

Not as fast, but itll work, if its a more affordable option.

There is a hack to use the Mobile Hotspot on any network (On the Pre/Plus, not the Pre 2 but I could imagine it coming soon), so if you can do some slight modding (its easy and there is tons of documentation) then a network is not an issue to you.

btw isnt Newfoundland beautiful? The people there are the nicest people I have ever met too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Honestly though, the download speed of 3G is marginally faster than 2G.

I dont think this should constitute a deal breaker.

Infact, I use my Palm Pre on 2G only mode. It saves loads of battery

Id say the Palm Pre 2 on T-Mobile is still an OK thing.

(Actually I just want to see if the Pre 2 would put "T-Mobile" in the top corner of the screen or not lol)
    The biggest thing about 2G and 3G isn't the speed, but the ability for simultaneous data and voice. Your Data connection shuts off when you are on call with GSM/EDGE. UMTS allows for both data and a voice call.

Which is at the same time the biggest complaint about EV-DO as well.

<<threads merged>>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast